Cup Holder Modification with pictures

Lkvr

Maserati TC Cup Holder Modification

The inspiration for this modification came from Hemi when he told me that a Daytona’s cup holder would fit in a TC if cuts were made to the cup holder.

The remainder of this post except for the added pictures was listed beofre under the thread "The Cure"

Remove the bin or the CD player and insert modified cup holder. Body frame and dash parts do not need to be modified. The bin or the CD player can be put back later to return the car to original.

The attached pictures are the cup holder I installed into my TC last fall. If any one is interested I can send them more details of the modification.

The part# on the cup holder is:

LP 60216

4220582L

I got mine out of an 89 Daytona for $10 on craigslist. A Chrysler dealer did a part cross reference and said the same part was used in:

Daytona 84-89

LeBaron 87/88

Laser 84-87

A few dremel tool attachments can cut away the plastic that interferes with the fit into the TC.

I have not finished the installation. I not sure when I will get back to it. I want to add plastic wood covering to the front edge of the cup holder. I have the plastic piece from a 90/91 steering wheel to cut back and glue onto the cup holder but it is about one inch to short to cover the entire black edge on the cup holder. The cup holder would then have 1/2 inch of black plastic on both sides. The rounded edges of the radio bezel might look better. One bezel could be cut up to make a covering for two cup holders. As of yet I do not have an extra plastic wood radio bezel.

The cup holder needs to be cut in (4) areas

Pictures 7956 shows the cup holder before modifications

Picture 8094 shows the top modification and the how much the front edge was cut away.

8097 shows how one of the rails was modified. The top and the bottom of both the right and the left rails were cut out eliminating half the thickness of the top edge and the bottom edge of the rail so the cup holder can move out farther.

I also added spacers between the modified cup holder and the car mounting. I can’t remember if the spacers were 1/8” or 3/16”

One of the toughest jobs is to get the bottom screw in and out. A magnetic screwdriver is necessary to get this done since the screw is about 4 inches in under the cup holder.

I did find a second cup holder ofrom a Lebaron in a junkyard for $10. The second cupholder will be waiting for me to be able to find and afford a Royal Cabernet / Bordeaux 16 valve. The spring on the second cup holder is broken. Does anybody have a source to get a replacement spring for the cup holder.

post-57717-143138882862_thumb.jpg

post-57717-143138882872_thumb.jpg

post-57717-14313888288_thumb.jpg

post-57717-143138882888_thumb.jpg

post-57717-143138882898_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest TJDasen2
I modified Rubber Queen cup holders for my TCs. Check pictures.[ATTACH=CONFIG]219365[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]219366[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]219367[/ATTACH]

The ash tray and lighter are still useable. Only draw back is they

retract.

That's pretty awesome and it looks like someone with little skill (me) could do.

And not to hijack the thread, but in looking at the gear shift knobs, I notice the ginger color has the center square in an "UP" position and the bordeaux is almost flush. My 1991 also has the center square flush with the knob. Which is correct?

Tim Dasenbrock

Southern Illinois

Maserati TC Cup Holder Modification

The inspiration for this modification came from Hemi when he told me that a Daytona’s cup holder would fit in a TC if cuts were made to the cup holder.

The remainder of this post except for the added pictures was listed beofre under the thread "The Cure"

Remove the bin or the CD player and insert modified cup holder. Body frame and dash parts do not need to be modified. The bin or the CD player can be put back later to return the car to original.

The attached pictures are the cup holder I installed into my TC last fall. If any one is interested I can send them more details of the modification.

The part# on the cup holder is:

LP 60216

4220582L

I got mine out of an 89 Daytona for $10 on craigslist. A Chrysler dealer did a part cross reference and said the same part was used in:

Daytona 84-89

LeBaron 87/88

Laser 84-87

A few dremel tool attachments can cut away the plastic that interferes with the fit into the TC.

I have not finished the installation. I not sure when I will get back to it. I want to add plastic wood covering to the front edge of the cup holder. I have the plastic piece from a 90/91 steering wheel to cut back and glue onto the cup holder but it is about one inch to short to cover the entire black edge on the cup holder. The cup holder would then have 1/2 inch of black plastic on both sides. The rounded edges of the radio bezel might look better. One bezel could be cut up to make a covering for two cup holders. As of yet I do not have an extra plastic wood radio bezel.

The cup holder needs to be cut in (4) areas

Pictures 7956 shows the cup holder before modifications

Picture 8094 shows the top modification and the how much the front edge was cut away.

8097 shows how one of the rails was modified. The top and the bottom of both the right and the left rails were cut out eliminating half the thickness of the top edge and the bottom edge of the rail so the cup holder can move out farther.

I also added spacers between the modified cup holder and the car mounting. I can’t remember if the spacers were 1/8” or 3/16”

One of the toughest jobs is to get the bottom screw in and out. A magnetic screwdriver is necessary to get this done since the screw is about 4 inches in under the cup holder.

I did find a second cup holder ofrom a Lebaron in a junkyard for $10. The second cupholder will be waiting for me to be able to find and afford a Royal Cabernet / Bordeaux 16 valve. The spring on the second cup holder is broken. Does anybody have a source to get a replacement spring for the cup holder.

Glad to see someone has found my old description of installing an original Chrysler part cupholder in the TC.

Just go junk yard hunting for one of the cars mentioned, to find your own 'Factory' cup holder.

• 11 months later...

I finally added the plastic wood trim to my cup holder. I think it looks nice.  I cut the trim out of a radio bezel using a fine tooth craft saw (picture 4209).

I only installed the top three screws.  #8 one inch sheet metal screws were used with a half inch OD #8 washer (picture 4190).  The bottom screw needs a magnetic screw driver or patience, neither of which I could find today.  There is also a 1/4 inch off white nylon space epoxied behind the cup holder at each screw location.  Each spacer is 1/2" OD by .252" ID and 1/4" tall. all these parts can be found at your local Ace Hardware

The finished product is shown in the last two pictures :).

now I just need to put my dash board together.

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4196.JPG

Edited by Lkvr (see edit history)