chrome removal

Guest papete

Guest papete

I want to take the chrome off the front of my 46 Lincoln. It looks to be a very difficult job. The bolts and nuts seem to be behind other parts. Do I need to remove the fenders and a lot of other parts? Any tips? Thanks

Guest zazothex

I've taken mine out a few time. If I remember, the fenders don't have to be removed, but it make it easier. I was doing a complete front end teardown, so they were coming off anyway. All the brightwork comes out with nuts; I started at the bottom, under the nose and worked my way up. I don't think much else needs to come off other than the grills themselves. Use a LOT of Kroil, and take your time. I'll try and dig up some pictures.

The chrome will remove without removing the fenders.

The radiator splash cover at the top rermoves with 2 bolts and that lets you access the inside to reach the bolts and nuts. There are several bolt and nuts thru the sheet metal make sure to remove all before prying on the pot metal it will break. Waldren

This may help. There are lots of fasteners that retain the grills in these cars and some are not easy to get at. first, you want to remove the upper grills so you have better access to the lower ones. The center piece with the medallion is retained by screws thru the vertical strut. There are 2 bolts under the inner forward section of the front fenders that retain the outer ends of the upper grill(s) there are screws that go thru the upper sheet metal where the hood rests. there are screws that fasten the lower section of the upper grills that go thru the center sheet metal "Shelf". You have to reach in from above ,go under the back edge of the shelf to reach these bolts. You should now be able remove the 2 upper grills.

This access will allow you to get at the fasteners in the lower grills. You wil notice that there are horizontal fasters accessable from the front that connect the fog lite housings to the outer ends of the lower grill and fasteners that connect the center section to the 2 halves of the lower grills. You will need to loosen them but not remove them. under the front section of the fenders there are 2 bolts that retain the fog lite housings. You can either remove these housings by disconnecting the fog lite wires or remove the fog lite assemblies from the housing ( 3 10/32 screws).

There are screws that retain the lower grills that go thru the front edge of the shelf mentioned above. reach in thru the upper grill openings to access them. there are also screws/bolts that retain the lower edge of the grills. These are accessible from the bottom side of the apron behind the front bumper. After removing all the fasteners you should be able to slide the entire lower grill assemble out. You will note that the horizontal bolts that were just loosened slip out of slots in sheet metal struts behind the lower grill section.

This will keep you busy.