milburn batteries

We restored a '15 Milburn. We put 12 volt marine deep cycle batteries in it since it was a driver rather than strictly a show vehicle and the owner wanted as few cables to fuss with as possible. As I remember ours was a 48 volt system. Yours may be 72 or 84. They sure are fun to drive. There is a Milburn Club you could check with. Please don't take my word for the voltage, I am possibly or maybe even likely "disremembering". We can provide you with new aluminum runningboards if you need them and assuming they are the same as 1915.

Shawn,

The electrics in my Milburn had been modified (poorly) in the past to use 12 volt batteries. I recently changed it back to it's original configuration using 14 Trojan T-105 deep cycle 6 volt batteries.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

It depends how you want to use it. If you just want to putt putt around, lead acid deep cycle batteries are fine. Optima type batteries are more expensive but give more power and range. Then there are newer options like Li On that are better still.

There are lots of amateur electric car builder sites that have good tips on battery installation.

If you have an original wiring diagram it should not be hard to figure out a system that will have the same voltage but more power and range, if that is what you want.

Plus Optima’s are only available in 12-volts which typically won’t work in a stock system where 6-volts are typically used depending on the wiring configuration. A Trojan or heavy duty rated NAPA lead acid battery will have much more range than a lighter Optima.

I stand corrected however when I spoke to Optima a few years ago they told me they did not have a 6 volt. They also told me they do not recommend utilizing their batteries in electric vehicles as they are not designed for them. The range on an Optima battery (18 pounds) verses a heavy duty lead acid battery (65 pounds) would be fairly short.