1937 Rolls Royce 25-30

Guest PostalA

Guest PostalA

A friend of mine is looking to sell his 1937 Rolls Royce 25-30 5 passenger limo, coachwork by Thrupp/Nayberly, chassis designation GHO, R.R. and Rolls Royce Both in Black. This car has been owned by the current owner for 50 years, it was bought from a funeral home in Scottland, he drove it for about 25 years, moved to the states and had the car shipped over, drove it for a year or two here, and has sat now for approx. 24 years. Was running and fully functioning when stored. Original everything, paint, interior, etc... Looking for interested parties and offers, the owner wants to relocate to the west coast and would like to sell the car. I am attaching a few pictures, email me if interested and I can supply more and better pictures.

post-83676-143138872212_thumb.jpg

post-83676-143138872214_thumb.jpg

post-83676-143138872215_thumb.jpg

post-83676-143138872216_thumb.jpg

post-83676-143138872217_thumb.jpg

Edited by PostalA (see edit history)

Guest PostalA

I am not familiar with the RR market so we don't know fair value, we are currently accepting offers, my email is mcavswas at msn.com. email me any offers, questions, for more pictures, etc...

Guest PostalA

Car is located in Maryland.

Roadfossil, not just looking for people to bid, thats B.S. ebay has too many lookers who just want to see their name on the auction. If you dont like my post, dont look. I am looking for a serious buyer or given the forum, actual useful info from those who have knowledge of RR.

Postal--I owned a 1933 20-25 RR for several years. Sold it to a guy in England. So yes, I do know a little about RR's. Your listing says you are looking for offers--is that not a bid???? It would be better if you asked people's opinions about value.

Guest PostalA
??? What????

I'm sure any of you that have frequented ebay, notice the people who put a 10 dollar bid on a car just to see there name as the high bidder, that also is b.s..

I have no knowldge of RR market, and have no Idea of what a fair value is. I was hoping if someone looking for a RR would have followed the market they would know a fair offer to present.

I thought this may the forum to ask for a little help in determining value for a vehicle and finding a serious buyer, maybe I am wrong...

Guest PostalA

TherE are pictures, I added location (do you want me to post the dang street address?) PRICE IS LESS THAN 50K

Guest PostalA

IF I asked for opinion of value in this section, I would be chastised for my post, come on guys give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postal--no one see's bidders names on ebay except the seller. Also, for anyone to even give an opinion on value, you would have to give a lot more information about the condition of the car, especially the mechanical stuff. I had to buy some clutch parts for mine and they were very expensive, to put it mildly. Just based on the information you've given, a person would be taking a tremendous chance on it. And any "offer" would have to be way below what it would be potentially worth.

Guest PostalA

Road fossil, the only people who see the name of the bidder on ebay are the seller and the specific bidder, ie shrill bids just to see ones name on the auction. I realise the parts and if you can't work on them yourself, the labor must be terribly expensive. This is the reason I have no idea of value. Nowhere have I asked for anyone to buy this site unseen, I had hoped to generate a private discussion with ANYONE interested.

Road fossil, the only people who see the name of the bidder on ebay are the seller and the specific bidder, ie shrill bids just to see ones name on the auction. I realise the parts and if you can't work on them yourself, the labor must be terribly expensive. This is the reason I have no idea of value. Nowhere have I asked for anyone to buy this site unseen, I had hoped to generate a private discussion with ANYONE interested.

I disagree. And even if that's true, a bid is a bid and real bidders would soon outnumber those just throwing out a low-ball offer. Especially for a desirable item. I think this car would do well on eBay. It's hard to see the condition of the car based on the postage-stamp-sized photos you've posted. It looks to need absolutely everything. Since you haven't asked for opinions on value, I'll hold off, but I'd be happy to if you're interested.

Postal--It's a nice looking car and I'm sure there are many people who would like to own it but understand you are giving very little info about it for anyone to even offer an opinion about value or make an offer. I will tell you I sold my original, running, driving '33 in 1984 for 15,000. The engine was starting to smoke at the time and it needed all new tires (300 bucks a piece at the time). Now you can adjust for inflation to get to today, but I don't know how you can adjust for non-running and not driveable. That's about all I can help you.

Guest PostalA

Vertigo, I realize the pics are small, they are all I have at this time and were taken with my phone about 9 months ago. It is stated I can supply better photos, and plan to get them soon if that helps. I would be interested in your opinion of value, and again anyone willing to offer informed useful infomation.

We have owned more than a dozen Rolls, including a 1935 20/25 limousine very similar to your friend's car. Ours was a Mulliner (generally a little more desirable than Thrupp & Maberley) and in solid Class 3 condition, great for touring, except slow. That car, today, in the same Class 3 condition, would be worth $30. In the condition of your friend's car (looks to be Class 4 at best), possibly less than half that amount. That's just my opinion. I could be off by some, but I don't think by very much. I still think eBay would be your best marketing tool. You can always put a reserve on it, like most people do.

Guest PostalA

Thanks Vertigo, I was thinking about 15K in its present condition, I think the owner was thinking closer to 20. I had told him the market was a little depressed and I didn't think his year and model was one of the desirable ones. I have pretty good mechanical abilities, but have never worked on a Rolls, I am sure if it were running it would help with the sale. Are there a tremendous amount of systems on a Rolls that would need to be gone thru before attempting to get the engine running. I know there is a pre oiler, but have no idea what it takes to even start a running Rolls much less one that has sat for so long. How complicated are they electrically speaking? Is the fuel system very complicated?

I found a fully restored Thrupp & Maberly 20/25 with a Pebble Beach quality restoration that sold at Amelia Island last year for $50. It had a much, much more desirable body, though.

RM Auctions

I can't help you out as far as knowing what's going to be involved in getting it running. You can go through the basics just to get it running and not spend too much money. More than likely the fuel system will need cleaning/replacing. I wouldn't spend too much money mechanically, because the cost to overhaul will quickly eat up a $10,000 bill, if not more. The car ideally needs to be in the hands of an owner/mechanic/Rolls fanatic, who can and knows how to do the work himself.

I did my own work on my '33. I don't recall it being much different than an American car as far as basics were concerned. It did have two ignition systems tho--a battery/point system and a mageto system. You could run it on either one. The clutch was built quite differently also.

Guest PostalA

Thats what I was thinking with your reference to owner/mechanic/fanatic, it would be a perfect fit. If I agree to get the engine running, i would do the minumum, just so it starts. Thanks for your time, I'll see if this add generates any interest and decide how to proceed. Do you know if the electrical system on these is fused?

I believe I would agree with the $15K or less, as this is, as mentioned before, a "pig in a poke" purchase.

I've worked on a Rolls before (of early 30's vintage), and there's NOTHING simple about them. Everything on the car is complicated. The one that I worked on, to remove the transmission, there were about 40 bolts holding it on, and some you couldn't get to until you removed the previous one. Anywhere an American car would use 4 bolts to hold something together, Rolls used 20. I heard it called it "sewing" the car together with bolts.

My point in all that is, it's very expensive to have a RR worked on and pay for labor. I also agree that this would best be in the possession of an owner/mechanic familiar with these cars.

Good luck with sale.

Having rewired about the same year 20-25 back in the 1980's I can tell you they are just slightly less complicated than a house! Complete with fuse boxes, junction boxes every few feet and even armoured cables between boxes. I don't think I'd ever do another and don't envy your task one bit.

Howard Dennis

Guest PostalA

Howard, Intersting, I now feel a little better about the wiring, believe it or not. The fact they may have used armoured cables in some instances, should mean less prone to rodent damage. And since it is a little less complicated than a house makes me feel great, Having done numerous heavy ups and complete rewires of some of my homes, myself. I like that there are fuses, after a look over the wiring and with good fuses, I won't be as hesitant to drop a new battery in and see what's what.

Thanks for the post.....

Postal,

Just a few tips....If you are gonna drop a battery in this thing, make sure it's outside, away from buildings and make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy. Not trying to deter you, but if the electrical system shorts and catches fire, you are not gonna want it in a building if you cannot put out the fire.

You are gonna want to drop the fuel tank, check/replace fuel lines, clean out the tank, you will probably have to look over the carburetor very well, if not rebuild it. Change oil/filter. Pull the plugs and spray PB blaster in the holes and let it sit for a day or so, then do it again. You won't want to just drop a battery and crank it after sitting so long. You could break the rings if theres a rust ridge on the cylinder walls. Not necissarily in that order. There's more things, but these will keep you busy for awhile.....

I wasn't trying to bust you about the price....just nice to know, just in case. Matt:D

Guest PostalA

Thnks for the tips, I've sorta been doing this for awhile, completed my first body off restoration when I was 13 in a garage I built when I was 12. We lived in the country and my parents always worked, had to find ways to entertain myself. Dropin the battery in was to see where I had current, it will help me decide if I want to take on getting this running or not. In any event This is being done as a favor to a friend. Will be my first Rolls to turn a wrench on.

Rolls are intriguing cars. I thought it would be great to own one, until a saw a professional doing a clutch on a 25-30 a couple years ago. It was like open heart surgery. Something like 40 hours labor to do it right. The front seat had to come out, so the floor could come out, so some things could be gotten at from the top. The spider web of chassis oil lines had to come out so things could be gotten at from the bottom. Then he told me what the parts cost….

But very few cars ever built look so grand and stately.

I watched a restoration mechanic restore and polish an early Rolls carburetor, prior to putting it in the rest of the car that was being restored. It took a week just for the carburetor, and he knew what he was doing. A week.....but you're right, it's a wonderful automobile when everything is right....