Locking steering wheel?

Guest Harry Connors

Guest Harry Connors

I purchased a new ignition lock off of eBay mainly for the nice chrome piece that you pull out after you turn the key on and before you push the starter button. This one looks just like the one that I took out of my 48 Continental Coupe EXCEPT that it has a thick cable going to a mount that the steering shaft fits into. When you turn the key on and pull the chrome piece out the end of the cable that is fitted with a solid plug is pulled out of the steering wheel shaft. I hope this makes sense. My question is: Is this a proper part for a 48 Continental or was it an option? It would make it a lot harder to steal the car with this part engaged. Thanks Harry

Guest Harry Connors

There is a unit almost like mine on eBay.com right now the number is 251010844955

Thanks Harry

That sounds like a 1941 key. The 41 has a lock column with a cable and so does my 42. I don't remember my 46 47 or 48 having the lock cable. My 42 had the cable cut off because they didn't have keys and that is the way they got it to steer. Lee Waldren Fort Myers, Fl.

After rereadding your post it must be a 1942. The 41 is completely different dash. The 42 was the model change and was used till 48. My 42 matches a 48 key assembly except the cable spot is blocked off on the 48. I have a 46-48 key pull that needs chrome plated or why not rechrome yours? 42 is gold.

I have a 48 column and there is no place for the lock cable to be installed.

Lee

Edited by Waldren
more information (see edit history)

Harry, the '48 lincolns eliminated the steering lock. The '46's still had the lock and I believe the "freshed" '47's also eliminated the steering lock. What they did was put a cap on the back of the lock mechanism when they eliminated the cable. Your '48 is "correct" without the lock.

Harry

I just looked at the one on e-bay and it is a 47-48 lock assembly. You said you wanted the shiney chrome end. It is a seperate piece held on witrh an allen key. I have a nice one ready to install for a driver. It is not perfect but has a few pits on the bottom side. Only a judge would spot it. Interested? Lee Waldren

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks for the offer Lee but I now have three of the chrome end pieces. The one that came with the cable was the best so that is the one I will use. Interesting is that all three of mine were held on my a small screw not an allen head one. I am almost finished with the assembly of the dash with almost all new chrome parts, except for the rims on the clock and speedometer. I could not find them so I just cleaned them as best as I could. My original lock unit is as Peecher says, it has a cap on the back of the unit. I am going to check my steering column anyway and see if it has a hole for the locking cable. If it does I will install it as it looks like a good anti-theft device. If not, I will sell it for what I paid for it. Harry