1953 Buick Special

Guest skylark2025

Guest skylark2025

Hey all. I just got my first oldie but goodie! It isn't even at the house yet and I am super excited. I look forward to all the things I am going to learn, including the swear words. I will get some pictures posted soon.

Guest shadetree77

Welcome to the forum skylark! You won't find a more helpful and friendly source of information and advice than the guys who frequent this forum. How bout telling us a little about your project? Condition, plans for it, etc? I'm looking forward to the pictures. As for the swear words, there will be plenty of those to come!! I find they help get things done(or at least make you feel better when you bust a knuckle or two!:D). Hope to hear from you soon! Good luck with your project!

Guest skylark2025

I am not smart enough at 11 pm to figure out how to post a picture so that will have to wait. The condition isn't too bad. It has all the chrome, gauges, and dials. There is a little rust on both rear tire wells and some on the floor board in the front. I will need a windshield and passanger window. The passanger is flat glass so that wont be a problem.

Of course after about 60 years the interior is wrecked and it needs a lot of TLC. I have a good engine and tranny and the suspention and steering is OK. I am aware that I have no idea what I just got my self into.

As far as my plans for it I would like it to look like it just rolled off the line. My pocket book probably wont allow that so I would just love to be able to drive it. I do not want to modify it in any way and want it to look like it was meant to.

Guest billy zz

BTW

you guys dont know how proud i am of my girl for jumping into a project like this.

heck

most guys wouldnt do it.

but she is made of sterner stuff ;)

Guest billy zz
Very nice and looks workable! I see two engines?? Did one have a problem? front bumper and grill look really nice! With some elbow grease and lots of determination, mixed with a whole lot of $$$$ and you're gonna have a beautiful car!

one engine runs great and the other is tired but runs.

Very solid looking Special! I restored a '53 Special 2-dr. hardtop a couple of years ago, so if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to contact me. My '54 Special is from Farmington, New Mexico--probably the same dealer, although mine has no insignia on it. I have a few '53 Special parts, not a lot, but some.

Why can't I meet a woman who loves old Buicks enough to buy one?! I'm impressed.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

1954 model 48-D

1959 Electra 2-dr. hardtop

1962 Electra 225 4-dr. hardtop

1963 Wildcat conv.

Guest billy zz
Very solid looking Special! I restored a '53 Special 2-dr. hardtop a couple of years ago, so if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to contact me. My '54 Special is from Farmington, New Mexico--probably the same dealer, although mine has no insignia on it. I have a few '53 Special parts, not a lot, but some.

Why can't I meet a woman who loves old Buicks enough to buy one?! I'm impressed.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

1954 model 48-D

1959 Electra 2-dr. hardtop

1962 Electra 225 4-dr. hardtop

1963 Wildcat conv.

did you have rust issues like she does?

i am trying to find patch panels for the rear fenders.

that lip looks a lttle tough to fabricate

Guest steve283

those old cars sure put the classy in classic.looks like a fun project.and the knowledge on this forum is scary good.

Guest skylark2025

Aww Billy your gunna make me blush! :o

Thanx everyone for the welcome. It seems like there are a bunch of good people here and it is nice to be a part of this community.

Guest skylark2025
Very nice and looks workable! I see two engines?? Did one have a problem? front bumper and grill look really nice! With some elbow grease and lots of determination, mixed with a whole lot of $$$$ and you're gonna have a beautiful car!

I have decided to pretend that everything is free and I pay with Monopoly money. Not real sure how long this will last but it makes me happy for now.:D

• 5 months later...
Guest skylark2025

After months of delay and several moves, Farmington to Belen to San Marcos to Austin and back to Albuquerque, the engine is getting some attention. The mechanic, JP, is going to see how it runs here in a day or two. Then on Tuesday I am going to be cleaning and putting some elbow grease to use. I am so excited to finally have the time to get started for real this time.

I really need to start looking for a windshield.

• 1 year later...
Guest griff1419

Hi everyone. I have never restored a vehicle before. I have been looking at a 1953 Buick Special. All trim and chrome are there. Engine runs Automatic transmission, interior is rough body is in good condition. Glass intact all the way around. Is this a really difficult restoration project typically? I understand that all restorations can be difficult, I was just curious if come cars are less difficult than others. Any advise would be appreciated!

.....I really need to start looking for a windshield.....

Still looking? You might want to call on this ad, currently on the local Craigslist. Big Lake is just Northwest of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

1953 Buick special - $25 (Big Lake)

I have a 53 2 door Buick special with clear mn title to be parted out body is very rough good windshield and back glass no drive train call or text with needs 763-486-2869.

00808_5IddZvVZpRH_600x450.jpg

A BUICK MASTER BODY PARTS BOOK lists the windshield as being the same for both a 1953 Model 41D (your 4-door Tourback Sedan) and as what is shown in the above pic/CL ad, a Model 48D (2-door Tourback Sedan). You might also want to verify with the seller whether it's a clear or tinted windshield, just to make sure that's what you're looking for.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack
added pic (see edit history)