Modified 54 Skylark

Guest 54fins

and folks, a booger in the filler tube it was! Being curved, you couldn't see it and the dipstick punched through easily. And now I am ready to hook up my switch pitch wire. There are 2 leads, one is an electric kick down and the other a switch pitch. ;) The factory hookup is high stall at idle so the car doesn't creep. Then it goes to low stall until floored. I'm going for a "fun mode" and an "econo mode" switch, then I have to rig up the kick down switch.

Life is much better when you don't have to pull a tranny!

• 2 weeks later...

it's always something simple. I was about to take the whole tranny apart! I suspect old ATF vapors coalesced in the tube over the years. Still gotta finish this car!

• 1 month later...

just thought I would post a follow up, as I'll start a new thread when I start the next death march. The car is running like a top, the burping tranny oil was a clog in the filler tube. Now that I have a 6 month reprieve, The first item on the checklist is white walls and possibly 16" spoke rims. Then install the rear window actuators (I used the original window mechanisms, but used an electric jack) That would be nice before January if I take it to the January Skylark meet. Slippery Colorado roads are a concern and 14 hours of hauling the long long trailer is an issue. But Springfield is a definite in June (barring something very odd happening).

The only big mistake was mounting the trailing arms too low and the mount will rub a speed bump. Hate to redo it as the car handles like a BMW so other than clearing speed bumps there is no additional benefits. The June death march was well worth it- nothing ever gets done without a deadline. I now have a 3 acre property, a shop and a lift so it's just a finish up. I love the cloth seats, but I am contemplating bucket seats and a possible snazzier interior. It never ends but the good part is nothing has to happen so I can have fun. A blizzard just moved in so It looks like storage for a while.

I love the cloth seats, but I am contemplating bucket seats and a possible snazzier interior. It never ends but the good part is nothing has to happen so I can have fun. A blizzard just moved in so It looks like storage for a while.

Yes.....Buckets like these would look great

post-41557-143142824797_thumb.jpg

Yes.....Buckets like these would look great

[ATTACH=CONFIG]280214[/ATTACH]

I have a set like those pictured (in fact EXACTLY like those, in fact, I think those are MINE ;) ) that I was going to use in my 54 Texas Pete Special hot rod. I searched long and hard for them, as I liked the chrome surrounding the tops, CLOSELY resembling the trim on the 54 Skylark (and Roadmaster) seats. Finally found them on the west coast if I recall and had them shipped to GA. If I remember correctly they are '63 Skylark seats. I can ship them out to ya if you'd like Norm.

post-31987-143142825567_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143142825556_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Lamar,

If you can find a 63 - 65 Riviera with the standard interior AND power seats, they'd be the exact same seat (different pattern) and the p/s controls would be on the side of the seat rather than on the armrest as the controls are on the custom interior equipped cars. I have a floor shift mechanism from a '63 Riviera that has the correct Dynaflow shift quadrant, and a console that would fit nicely between the seats.

Ed

Lamar,

If you can find a 63 - 65 Riviera with the standard interior AND power seats, they'd be the exact same seat (different pattern) and the p/s controls would be on the side of the seat rather than on the armrest as the controls are on the custom interior equipped cars. I have a floor shift mechanism from a '63 Riviera that has the correct Dynaflow shift quadrant, and a console that would fit nicely between the seats.

Ed

yea, I'd like a set of those seats!! But with the car attached.

I have no use for these buckets now so was just offering them up to Norm if he liked them. I should probably post them in the BuySell I guess.

They are nice! I gotta finish up all the other stuff first like the AC and the top. I would post them, I gotta get my checklist done before I add more but those will be useful. Do you have the back seats too or just the fronts? I have a black set an either way I have to recover them to match the exterior paint. My red cloth is just a hair too dark for the matador red, but I might switch to black.

Most likely I'll leave well enough alone and be lucky to get the AC working for summer!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

$145K and didn't meet reserve. A lot of work went into this car and it is nice...but the good part is it's not too nice to drive. This has got to be fun as hell to drive!!

note, click the pictures to see full width screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1954-Buick-Skylark-/122140448997?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c702358e5%3Ag%3AzJcAAOSwknJX1gfB&item=122140448997&nma=true&si=U8m1640FvQc2Gxrdynek9Hy1Gyg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by MrEarl
add note (see edit history)