NOS Studebaker? Script name plate

auburnseeker

I have a couple of nameplates that came in Studebaker packaging. The plates say Custom and Deluxe. The Custom Script looks original to the Studebaker packaging. There are no numbers on any of the script. They are all new. The number on the Studebaker package is 6478344 and it does say plate on it so I think it's the original package. The number doesn't come up in my books. Packaging would suggest 1940's-1955 era. The number has one to many digits. It doesn't appear to be a misprint.

I went through all my picture books and even went to a website that has interior photos to see if I could come up with a match to no avail. They almost look like dash plates except they are 14 and 1/4 inches long.

I even checked Packard just to be sure and it doesn't come up to anything. The quality of the plating is not great which makes me wonder as Studebaker had surprisingly nice chrome quality. The script and pins that hold it on are really fine. Everything I have had that was studebaker was a bit chunkier with Heavier pins. I can't recall Studebaker using Custom or Deluxe names on anything.

Rambler/Nash did use similar style script. IS it Studebaker accessory to dress up you car? Any help would be appreciated. They have me baffled.

post-43003-143138855522_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138855523_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138855526_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138855528_thumb.jpg

post-43003-14313885553_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138855532_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138855534_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143138855536_thumb.jpg

In 1959 Studebaker started using "Deluxe" to replace "Transtar" as the name for its high end pick-ups. It kept it as a high-end signifier after the Champ line was introduced in 1960. "Transtar" was reinstated for heavy-duty trucks in 1961, but I don't know if they used any modifiers like "Deluxe" for them.

Perhaps these are truck trim items, possibly (since they are so fine in detail) for interior trim.

Thanks for the positive ID. I know Packard made top of the line cars. I really wouldn't have thought they would have made production parts this poorly. Maybe it was something to do with coming to the end of the era or as I have found out they were often parts that failed initial quality inspection but were packaged after production was over for the repair jobbers. Either way. Now I can find them a home on a Packard I hope.

Guest prs519

Yes, it was the last car, and the last day on the job for a disgruntled worker, and his way of expressing manic depression was to do a half -axxed job on the plating! Ho.

Perry