Maryland Bill Threatens Hobbyists

TomCox

There has been a Bill introduced in the Maryland state legislature that will have a substantial negative impact upon anyone with an antique registration, restricting their use, and requiring specialized insurance.

I have copied the latest notice from SEMA below as well as information received from Franklin Gage of the Bull Run Region. Please get this out to anyone you know in Maryland as this measure will be decided upon in the near future. Unfortunately, if this passes it may affect other states since they all tend to follow each others lead.

Take Care and Thanks

Tom Cox

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 6.25in; BACKGROUND: white" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 442.5pt" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">

(UPDATE)

Senate Version of Maryland Bill to Restrict Eligibility for Historic Vehicle Registration Scheduled for Committee Hearing on Wed., Feb. 29

A Senate version (S.B. 846) of the bill to increase the age requirement for vehicles eligible for registration as “historic motor vehicles” has been scheduled for a Feb. 29, 2012 hearing in the Judicial Proceedings Committee. The bill is identical to House Bill 550, under which the age requirement would be raised from 20 to at least 25 years old and these cars would be prohibited from being used for “occasional transportation.” The measure would also require that an historic vehicle is insured by an historic vehicle, show vehicle or antique insurance policy. It’s time to let committee members and Senate sponsors know how you feel about this bill.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Judicial Proceedings Committee and the Senate Sponsors of S.B. 846(List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to the Bill

• <LI style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>S.B. 846 makes it more difficult to register legitimate historic vehicles, which are now already limited to club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades and occasional pleasure driving. <LI style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>S.B. 846 makes no provision for “grandfathering” existing historic vehicles 20-25 years old and allowing them to retain their historic status. <LI style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>S.B. 846 would deny vehicles 20-25 years old from existing benefits, including the special historic license plate and exemptions from equipment and emissions inspection requirements.
  • S.B. 846 ignores the fact that existing historic vehicles in Maryland constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are already well-maintained and infrequently operated.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact the committee members and sponsors of S.B. 846 to request their opposition to the bill. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Maryland SB 846 Sponsors

nancy.king@senate.state.md.us; jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us; victor.ramirez@senate.state.md.us

Senator Nancy King

Phone: (410) 841-3686

Email: nancy.king@senate.state.md.us

Senator Jennie M. Forehand

Phone: (410) 841-3134

Email: jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us

Senator Victor R. Ramirez

Phone: (410) 841-3745

Email: victor.ramirez@senate.state.md.us

Maryland Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee Members

brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us; lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us; jim.brochin@senate.state.md.us; jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us; joseph.getty@senate.state.md.us; nancy.jacobs@senate.state.md.us; victor.ramirez@senate.state.md.us; jamie.raskin@senate.state.md.us; christopher.shank@senate.state.md.us; norman.stone@senate.state.md.us; bobby.zirkin@senate.state.md.us

Senator Brian E. Frosh (Chair)

Phone: (410) 841-3124

Email: brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us

Senator Lisa A. Gladden (Vice Chair)

Phone: (410) 841-3697

Email: lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us

Senator James Brochin

Phone: (410) 841-3648

Email: jim.brochin@senate.state.md.us

Phone: (410) 841-313

Senator Joseph M. Getty

Phone: (410) 841-3683

Email: joseph.getty@senate.state.md.us

Senator Nancy Jacobs

Phone: (410) 841-3158

Email: nancy.jacobs@senate.state.md.us

Senator Jamin B. Raskin

Phone: (410) 841-3634

Email: jamie.raskin@senate.state.md.us

Senator Christopher B. Shank

Phone: (410) 841-3903

Email: christopher.shank@senate.state.md.us

Senator Norman R. Stone, Jr.

Phone: (410) 841-3587

Email: norman.stone@senate.state.md.us

Senator Robert A. Zirkin

Phone: (410) 841-3131

Email: bobby.zirkin@senate.state.md.us

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

From Franklin Gage of Bull Run Region a Maryland resident

Dear Fellow Maryland Auto Hobbyist:

As you may know, HB 550 has been introduced in the MD House of Delegates to alter (for the worse) our MD Historic Vehicle statute. Among other things, it would apparently:

---increase the eligible vehicle age to use Historic Plates from 20 to 25 years

---make some currently eligible vehicles of ANY age ineligible, including some limos, hearses, ambulances, fire trucks, wrecker tow trucks, trailers, mopeds and scooters

---require specialty collector/historic insurance (presumably from an approved list; your choice of insurers may be limited if companies decide to withdraw from MD given more paperwork for a limited market)

-- eliminate the 'occasional transportation' allowance in the current law which could lead to restrictions making weekday use, occasional pleasure driving at any time, and driving to

repair/maintenance shops or events more difficult (possibly illegal)

Our wonderful friends at SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) are working hard to kill this bill; they have a great record in other states of winning these battles, but to do so elected Delegates need to hear from their constituents. I suggest the following, please:

---Contact your Delegates to express your opposition to any change in the current law and asking them to do their part to get it withdrawn or tabled. It would be helpful to cc a copy, and certainly any response,

to Steve McDonald at SEMA (SteveM@SEMA.org). If you are emailing, make sure the Delegate knows you are a constituent.

---Contact ColbyM@SEMA.org to request that you be put on their alert list so you can receive updates on this and future issues.

---Click on http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=a 2012MD2&g=SEMAGAfor more information. It would be helpful to contact members of the Environment Committee, listed there.

---If not derailed sooner, there may be a hearing on this bill on February 28, 2012 in Annapolis and your attendance might help.

---Contact other MD hobbyists or MD friends and relatives (if you belong to a club it may have an email list, but we should include the 'E-Challenged' non-email users too!).

As some of you know, in my former life I was a registered environmental lobbyist and U.S. Senate staffer. In my view, while antique vehicle owners are a minority, we are large enough to win this fight, and action now may deter future, even worse, proposals. There's an even larger group that are non-owners but enthusists. I am including the letter I am sending to my Delegates; feel free to plagiarize though your own words will be more effective!

THANKS,

Franklin Gage

cell 703/869-8434

Delegate Justin Ross

6 Bladen St.

Annapolis, MD 21401

Dear Mr. Ross:

I am writing to ask you to please ask your colleagues on the Environment Committee to withdraw or table HB 550, which amends Maryland's antique motor vehicle statute. I am opposed to this bill because it will discourage the preservation of antique vehicles by reducing the availability and use of Historic Plates by:

---Raising the vehicle age requirement from 20 to 25 years. This would be unfortunate as 20 year old vehicles (and less) are routinely being crushed by salvage yards; it is already difficult to find parts and their

very existence in the future is threatened.

---Eliminating eligibility of some vehicles, including some of the more interesting attractions at car shows, parades, etc. such as fire trucks, hearses, limos, mopeds, etc.

---Requiring proof of collector/specialty insurance; most of us with antique cars already have this type of insurance, but compliance with regulations that presumably would have to be promulgated may cause

some insurers to withdraw this type of policy from Maryland, reducing our options.

---Eliminates the "Occasional Use" provision of the current statute. This poses many problems, including the fact that if these cars aren't driven occasionally but regularly they are more prone to damage from

rodents and to leaking from dried up oil, coolant, transmission and other seals, which could damage the environment. Although the proposal continues to allow use for organized club events, the occasional

use of these cars even for non-organized events such as meeting for a restaurant meal is of economic benefit to everyone.

I am told this bill was introduced because there is a problem with some people getting the Historic Plates for regular-use vehicles. I don't deny that may be a problem, but it has to be a trivial problem because such a tiny percentage of all Maryland vehicle registrations are Historic, and the abusers have to be a tiny percentage of that. The small percentage of abusers is already prohibited from regular use by the current statute, so the solution to this already tiny problem is to enforce the existing law.

I would urge you not to discourage the preservation and use of antique autos in our State; while many of us collect them for our own enjoyment, we also are trying to preserve an important part of our history and share it with others. We contribute to the State in a variety of ways, from parade cars (one of my cherished photos is of Steny Hoyer sitting on the hood of my '51 Chevrolet at a Greenbelt Labor Day Parade!), to charity benefit car shows to scholarships to economic benefits for the state and businesses. Just last year the world famous 'Revival Glidden Tour' was hosted in Maryland. With about 300 cars (including many from out of state) here for 5 days and surely underestimating expenditures of at least $200/day per car for lodging, gas and restaurants, that one of hundreds of events generated in excess of $300,000, all taxable to the State.

I am Director of the Free State Region of the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America; members at our last meeting expressed unanimous opposition to this bill. In my next Director's Message I plan to report on the positions of our Delegates, so would appreciate it if you would please advise me of yours, and thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely yours,

Franklin L. Gage

2A Crescent Rd.

Greenbelt, MD 20770

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 6.25in" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">

I must say, this is a great bill and I fully support it and here's why:

1) MD is just catching up with almost every other state where 25 years is the norm. If the AACA norm is 25 years, then all states should have that norm in order to qualify as classics.

2) Being from VA, I see PLENTY of cars from MD driving around 495 with antique plates. Many of these cars are things like 1992 Sevilles, 1990 Buick Park Avenues, but more importantly, many are pickup trucks. Almost every one of these cars/trucks is a clapped out, one-foot-in the junkyard vehicles that are being driven by non-automotive enthusiasts simply as a tax and registration savings. Rarely is it something like a 1992 Olds 98 in mint condition going out for a Sunday drive. These cars are being used as every day drivers and are simply not classics, antiques, or anything else other than condition 4 or 5 used cars. Yes, there are exceptions, but most 20-25 year old "antiques" in MD are being used as daily drivers to skirt the tax/registration fees. Pay attention next time you're in MD and you'll see what I mean.

3) A 20 year-old car is simply not old enough to be an antique car. The average age of all vehicles on the road now is 11 years old. Is making it another 9 really that tough or special that it should be an "antique?"

4) All these people are giving the rest of us bad names by taking advantage of the system. The same thing happened in VA. Now you have to prove you have a daily driver in addition to your antique, as 1/2 the "antiques" out there were clapped out 1985 Ford trucks that were being used by contractors as daily work vehicles. I can't tell you how many 1982 Chevy trucks I've seen in the recent past with antique plates and 1/2 ton of mulch in the back, 4 people in the front seat and not one patch of paint left on the vehicle. I'm sorry, but this is not an antique, is not in the spirit of the collector car community and is not being driven by an enthusiast. I would invite everyone to encourage this new law to help keep the hobby for enthuiasts with 25-year old vehicles or older. Do we really need another non-insured, clapped out, 1992 Ford Taurus wagon looking like it came from the demolition derby driving down the road with "antique" MD tags? I would say no. What are your thoughts...?

Edited by hursst (see edit history)

THe age change from 20 to 25 years is not the major problem with this Maryland bill.

Of most concern are the following two provisions in the bill:

1. ["these cars would be prohibited from being used for “occasional transportation".] The only legal uses would then be parades, exhibits, and car shows. The occasional drive on a nice Sunday afternoon: taking the grandkids for a short ride: exercising the vehicle to lubricate all the parts: taking a ride to visit a friend: etc would be prohibited. Even the drive to a repair or maintenance shop would be questionable.

2. [” The measure would also require that an historic vehicle is insured by an historic vehicle, show vehicle or antique insurance policy]. Granted that the

vehicle needs to be insured, but to require a specific type of policy is overly restrictive. Many of our AACA members use their group/regular policy to cover

their antique vehicles, and many members would not qualify for some of the

specialty policies.

The bills (both the House bill HB 550 and the Senate bill 846) are very restrictive and a major concern for the antique hobbiest.

Agreed. The clause specifically requiring historic or collector insurance is especially onerous and makes me wonder if the insurance lobby has its tentacles in the Legislature's pockets.

I also think DMV in all states should step up about issuing these plates to questionable vehicles in the first place. Those offices are where the rubber meets the road, and if an applicant can't or won't at least provide pictures of the car in question, the application for antique/historic/collector plates should be denied ON THE SPOT, instead of cheerfully asking "Do you know your car qualifies for an antique license?"

I still say all that mess we went thru in Vajenya a few years back was never about getting improperly licensed "antique" vehicles off the roads. It was about that nine million dollar revenue projection attached to that legislation.

But, as usual, the authorities want to take the easy way out and blanket punish everyone for the sins of the few. Their own employees aren't properly policing issuance of these tags, but they want to hammer the legit old car hobbyists and somehow make it THEIR fault.

Marylanders, watch your back. The "Free State" is rapidly deteriorating around you.

Another problem with House Bill 550 and Senate bill 846 is the specific elimination of historic tags for vehicles over 10,000 lbs. manufacturer gross vehicle rating. This screws anyone who collects vehicles over 3/4 ton. I have a 1938 Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton and a 1948 Chevrolet 2 ton. These trucks are obviously not commercially viable nor suitable for daily transportation. They are HISTORIC ANTIQUE vehicles. This bill would effectively eliminate a complete segment of the antique vehicle hobby. This would eliminate military truck restoration. It would eliminate fire apparatus restoration.

House bill 668 permits vehicles over 10,000lbs to be licensed. I applaud and admire those who preserve the smaller vehicles, but my main interest is in the heavier vehicles.

(UPDATE)

Maryland Bills to Restrict Eligibility for Historic Vehicle Registration Amended to Satisfy Hobbyist Concerns

In consultation with the hobbyist community in the state, the SEMA Action Network has worked with Del. Kirill Reznik to amend legislation in the House (H.B. 550) and Senate (S.B. 846) that originally threatened to further limit the use of “historic motor vehicles.” Under the introduced bills, the age requirement would have been raised from 20 to at least 25 years old, historic cars would have been prohibited from being used for “occasional transportation” and an historic vehicle, show vehicle or antique insurance policy would have been required. Under the amendments, vehicles would continue to be eligible for the historic class upon their 20th year; the collector insurance mandate would be deleted and the “occasional use” provision would be restored. Further, permissible use would now include “for the purposes of obtaining repairs and routine maintenance.” We also increased the classes of vehicles among those eligible for historic status to include Class B (taxi cabs), Class C (funeral vehicles and ambulances and Class Q (limousines).

We Urge You to Contact Members of the House Environmental Matters Committee and the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee (Lists Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for the Amended H.B. 550 and S.B. 846

The amended H.B. 550 and S.B. 846 will require that there be a “daily driver” registered to the same address as the historic vehicle that would be used for primary transportation. The bill would also clearly stipulate that the historic vehicle not be “an individual’s or a family’s primary method or transportation.”

The amended H.B. 550 and S.B. 846 enhance law enforcement authority to target violators of the historic vehicle laws without inconveniencing legitimate hobbyists.

The amended H.B. 550 and S.B. 846 would continue to allow legitimate historic vehicles to enjoy existing benefits, including the special historic license plate and exemptions from equipment and emissions inspection requirements.

The amended H.B. 550 and S.B. 846 recognize that abusers of the historic vehicle law are a minority and that legitimate historic vehicles in Maryland constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are already well-maintained and infrequently operated.

The amended H.B. 550 and S.B. 846 demonstrate a real effort by Del. Reznik and his staff to enact reasonable and fair compromise legislation.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact the committee members to request their support of the amended H.B. 550 and S.B. 846. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Maryland House Environmental Matters Committee

Maggie.McIntosh@house.state.md.us; Malone@house.state.md.us; Herb.McMillan@house.state.md.us; Pamela.Beidle@house.state.md.us; Stephen.Lafferty@house.state.md.us; Rudolph.Cane@house.state.md.us; Doyle.Niemann@house.state.md.us; Alfred.Carr@house.state.md.us; Wayne.Norman@house.state.md.us; Barbara.Frush@house.state.md.us; Anthony.ODonnell@house.state.md.us; Jim.Gilchrist@house.state.md.us; Charles.Otto@house.state.md.us; Cheryl.Glenn@house.state.md.us; Shane.Robinson@house.state.md.us; Anne.Healey@house.state.md.us; Dana.Stein@house.state.md.us; Patrick.Hogan@house.state.md.us; Cathy.Vitale@house.state.md.us; Marvin.Holmes@house.state.md.us; Michael.Weir@house.state.md.us; Jay.Jacobs@house.state.md.us; CT.Wilson@house.state.md.us

Delegate Maggie McIntosh (Chair)

Email: Maggie.McIntosh@house.state.md.us

Delegate James E. Malone, Jr. (Vice Chair)

Email: James.Malone@house.state.md.us

Delegate Pamela G. Beidle

Email: Pamela.Beidle@house.state.md.us

Delegate Stephen W. Lafferty

Email: Stephen.Lafferty@house.state.md.us

Delegate Elizabeth Bobo

Email: Elizabeth.Bobo@house.state.md.us

Delegate Herb McMillan

Email: Herb.McMillan@house.state.md.us

Delegate Rudolph C. Cane

Email: Rudolph.Cane@house.state.md.us

Delegate Doyle L. Niemann

Email: Doyle.Niemann@house.state.md.us

Delegate Alfred C. Carr, Jr.

Email: Alfred.Carr@house.state.md.us

Delegate Wayne Norman, Jr.

Email: Wayne.Norman@house.state.md.us

Delegate Barbara A. Frush

Email: Barbara.Frush@house.state.md.us

Delegate Anthony J. O'Donnell

Email: Anthony.ODonnell@house.state.md.us

Delegate James W. Gilchrist

Email: Jim.Gilchrist@house.state.md.us

Delegate Charles J. Otto

Email: Charles.Otto@house.state.md.us

Delegate Cheryl D. Glenn

Email: Cheryl.Glenn@house.state.md.us

Delegate Shane Robinson

Email: Shane.Robinson@house.state.md.us

Delegate Anne Healey

Email: Anne.Healey@house.state.md.us

Delegate Dana M. Stein

Email: Dana.Stein@house.state.md.us

Delegate Patrick Hogan

Email: Patrick.Hogan@house.state.md.us

Delegate Cathleen M. Vitale

Email: Cathy.Vitale@house.state.md.us

Delegate Marvin E. Holmes, Jr.

Email: Marvin.Holmes@house.state.md.us

Delegate Michael H. Weir, Jr.

Email: Michael.Weir@house.state.md.us

Delegate Jay A. Jacobs

Email: Jay.Jacobs@house.state.md.us

Delegate C. T. Wilson

Email: CT.Wilson@house.state.md.us

Maryland Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee Members

brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us; lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us; jim.brochin@senate.state.md.us; jennie.forehand@senate.state.md.us; joseph.getty@senate.state.md.us; nancy.jacobs@senate.state.md.us; victor.ramirez@senate.state.md.us; jamie.raskin@senate.state.md.us; christopher.shank@senate.state.md.us; norman.stone@senate.state.md.us; bobby.zirkin@senate.state.md.us

Senator Brian E. Frosh (Chair)

Phone: (410) 841-3124

Email: brian.frosh@senate.state.md.us

Senator Lisa A. Gladden (Vice Chair)

Phone: (410) 841-3697

Email: lisa.gladden@senate.state.md.us

Senator James Brochin

Phone: (410) 841-3648

Email: jim.brochin@senate.state.md.us

Phone: (410) 841-313

Senator Joseph M. Getty

Phone: (410) 841-3683

Email: joseph.getty@senate.state.md.us

Senator Nancy Jacobs

Phone: (410) 841-3158

Email: nancy.jacobs@senate.state.md.us

Senator Jamin B. Raskin

Phone: (410) 841-3634

Email: jamie.raskin@senate.state.md.us

Senator Christopher B. Shank

Phone: (410) 841-3903

Email: christopher.shank@senate.state.md.us

Senator Norman R. Stone, Jr.

Phone: (410) 841-3587

Email: norman.stone@senate.state.md.us

Senator Robert A. Zirkin

Phone: (410) 841-3131

Email: bobby.zirkin@senate.state.md.us

It still does not permit trucks over 10,000 lbs. to be tagged historic so I still have to go against it. Myself and many members of the atca and aths have vehicles for hobby and show that would be excluded under these bills.

There is a seperate Maryland bill HB 668 which covers the concerns of historic trucks over 10,000 lbs. The first hearing will be 28 Feb and its synopsis reads:

Establishing a specified historic motor vehicle registration for trucks, tractors, and motor homes; establishing qualifications for a historic motor vehicle registration under the Act; establishing registration fees; prohibiting the use of a historic motor vehicle for general daily transportation or for commercial transportation on highways; altering the definition of "historic motor vehicle"; etc.

Some additional information on HB 668

The American Truck Historical Society and Maryland Motor Truck Association successfully negotiated separate legislation to address historic trucks over 10,000 lbs. Introduced by Del. Kelly Schulz, the bill (H.B. 668) will also be considered in the House Environmental Matters Committee on Tues., Feb. 28. Please review the bill at

BILL INFO-2012 Regular Session-HB 668

Thank you, I am aware of 668 though last time I looked I didn't see it linked to a Senate Bill. The problem I have is with them being 2 separate bills is unless 668 passes first I cannot support 550/846 as there is always the possibility 550/846 passes and 668 fails. To me in my quest for simple and easy to understand regulations it would be easier to have one bill which addresses all vintage vehicles including trailers which the last version of 668 did not. I left a message with the ATHS president who is a Maryland resident but have not received a reply yet.

To address one previous posters comment I too have seen have seen cars and light duty vehicles up to 6 wheels being used in circumstances that give the appearance of not complying with the spirit of historic tags, without proof though I could have been wrong.

In 30 years over the road operation I have never seen a tractor trailer with historic tags being used commercially for hire. While I am sure somebody somewhere will have tried it there just are too many roadside inspections and scale houses and and local enforcement targeting heavy trucks that it could continue for more than a short time before operator would be caught. I really believe that those who make the effort to preserve a vehicle regardless of it's wieght class, whether it is pristine or still in it's working clothes should be able to take it out on the highways of our state, tagged and insured for an occasional pleasure drive, show or shakedown cruises to make sure vehicle is safe and reliable. All vintage vehicle enthusiasts should be working to make sure all aspects of the hobby are recognized and treated fairly.

Edited by kb3csw
Spelling error (see edit history)

Everyone I have been able to contact seems to think both 550 and 668 will pass,so I will send emails with joined support. Senate bill 25 covers larger vehicles so hopefully now all segments of the vintage vehicle hobby will be protected.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't over think some of the aspects of the bill. Here in PA we have a 25 yr. clause for antique vehicles with a driving restriction to 1 day a week. When asked about the 1 day restriction and what it really meant PenDot could give no real answer. I have driven my Model A pickup a good bit over 16yrs.,Sunday drives ,tours,trips for ice cream and even trips to the lumber company for supplies and have never been pulled over for an infraction. The cops have enough to do besides pulling over old cars. They do frown on you using an antique for regular transportation,that is driving it several days in a row to go to work,ETC,. and you cannot use any antique vehicle for commerce, meaning that you can't haul for pay or sell rides. The law also restricted cars without sealed beam lamps and turnsignals from driving after dark,for obvious safety reasons,but I have driven several times,usually back from a late show,with no problems.I have found that the collector car insurance is far more limiting than the DOT restrictions. I don't however ,agree with the occlusion of heavy vehicles as antique. Pa also has a one time fee on antique plates and does not require state inspection on antique registered vehicles. The classic car registration is different. One problem I have seen (and so has the State Police) is many hotrods registered as antique cars. This is a no-no as hotrods,even if they have an antique or repro body is NOT an antique car by any stretch of the imagination. At one show several years ago I saw a State cop ticket at least 7 rods with antique plates,I say good for him!

It seems that the use of antique vehicle registrations is violated in many areas, not just what I've seen myself. It appears that when a nice "estate car" is purchased, somebody makes the new buyer aware of the antique registration possibility. As it's a 5 year plate down here and about as much as a single year's normal registratioin, the new purchaser quickly bites for that bait. The car might be a very nice car (in one case, a stock off-white over gold '74 Ford LTD, whitewalls and wire wheel covers and all!) end up with antique plates AND driven everywhere. It was no problem to see it driving every day at any hour of the day by its younger owner. In other cases, cars have been driven to work or to pickup the kids at school, regularly. In TX, the use of antique-registered vehicles is restricted as it usually is in other states and "Can't carry any advertising or used for commerce". Antique insurance usually has restrictions about how the vehicle is used, how much, and where it sleeps at night or when it's not being driven. Of course, antique vehicle insurance is much less expensive than normal insurance.

Several years back, it was common for the street rod owners to license their vehicles as "antiques". Then TxDOT started requring pictures and asking questions about modifications. That angered that group, big time. With SEMA's help, TX recently passed legislation for a "street rod" license plate.

It looks like SEMA's operatives have struck a good deal up there, plus the addition of the hd truck/vehicle antique registrations.

REMEMBER . . . July 13, 2012 is the SEMA National Collector Car Apprieciation Day (or any other day in July, if needed). Check out the SEMA Action Network website for more details.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467