1949 Windsor Carb

Guest Fosbreed1

Guest Fosbreed1

I have a 1949 Chrysler Windsor 6cyl. with a Ball & Ball carb that needs rebuilt. Can anyone refer me to a parts dealer for a quality rebuild kit?

Thanks for looking ED

• 1 year later...

Not close to my 49 Windsor for a couple more weeks and don't have the book with me, but how difficult is it to install a new carb kit for one of these with the fluid drive transmission? I can easily dismantle, clean and rebuild carbs for my old motorcycle, but since I know these cars rely on the carb for shifting, does that add a lot of complexity to the process? Thanks

All of the Ball & Ball Carters, whether with the electrical solenoid or not, have warpage issues. These will need to be addressed.

Some of these carbs have an internal dashpot. Parts for the dashpot are not present in most kits. Also, these is a spring associated with the dashpot which is often broken, and not in any of the rebuilding kits.

Evaluate parts needed for your carburetor, and ask if those parts are available when you call about rebuilding kits.

Jon.

There are 2 electric switches in the carb but they are pretty simple. How many miles on it? Throttle shafts get worn, leading to air leaks and uneven idling after many miles. Reaming the holes and replacing the shaft is best left to an expert.

They are a very simple carb. You should be able to rebuild it yourself. Get the factory manual, either Chrysler's or Carter's and follow it to the letter. Do not go getting ideas of your own. The instruction sheet that comes with a carb kit is useless and filled with errors.

Or let the Carbking do it for you. That way you know it is done right. After all the carb is now over 50 years old and who has been messing with it before?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest raceandoval

Go to Welcome to Mike's Carburetor Parts - Your Number 1 Carburetor Parts Store This is Mike's Carburetors. Find your specific model... Mine was a Carter E7L2. Punch that number in their search box and you'll find what you need. This is the only one I found with the Dashpot kit included with instructions on how to rebuild it. Your model number can be found on the fin above the needle/seat assembly.

post-92469-143141908139_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jefferyscott
Go to Welcome to Mike's Carburetor Parts - Your Number 1 Carburetor Parts Store This is Mike's Carburetors. Find your specific model... Mine was a Carter E7L2. Punch that number in their search box and you'll find what you need. This is the only one I found with the Dashpot kit included with instructions on how to rebuild it. Your model number can be found on the fin above the needle/seat assembly.

My 47' Windsor is missing the potlatch spring. How do I find a replacement?

• 7 years later...

Chrysler used the Ball & Ball carburetor designed by Chrysler, and commissioned to Carter for production through the 1950 model year on vehicles needing controls for the transmission, as well as other vehicles..

In 1951, Chrysler started using a Stromberg, designed by Stromberg, with a different electrical control. I do not know if the 1951 Stromberg may be used on the 1949.

The Ball & Ball carbs are considered troublesome, but more or less inexpensive.

The Strombergs are considered to be of much higher quality, and much more expensive.

I am unaware of any other carbs with the electric controls for the transmission.

The major issue with the Ball & Ball carbs is warpage. A professional carburetor rebuilder, CAN straighten the castings, using special jigs, heat, and pressure. Like the Rochester B, these castings will again begin to warp, and will require straightening every so many years. Virtually all parts, other than castings, are available. The Strombergs, once professionally rebuilt, should last the life of most of the folks on this forum ;)

The above is information only, I no longer restore carburetors.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)