Continental Trunk latch inside

Guest Harry Connors

Guest Harry Connors

Folks I am fishing for photographs again. I had to weld in a piece of the U channel where the rubber seal fits into on my trunk top. Of course it was right at the area that the locking piece on the trunk lid locks onto. Since I had about a six inch area that was rusted away I just made a U channel to weld in. It looks great but is there supposed to be a slot for the lock to secure the lid? I guess what I am trying to say is does anyone have a photograph of the top middle of the body at the rear in the middle of the trunk area? Thanks Harry

Guest Harry Connors

Tom Thank you very much, the part of the trunk lip I was looking for is that part that has a plate protruding in the middle at the rear. Is that just a flat plate welded on for the lock tab to hook under? I welded in a u piece at that location as there was just a hole on my car. Thanks Harry

Here are a couple of better photos Harry. This tab is centered on the trunk lip as you see in the earlier photos and the size is 2 and a half inches wide, then 1/4 inch wide to the bend, then the part that sticks up is 5/32. (hope that is clear) This is then welded to the inner edge of the channel so the gasket can still fit down into the channel. You see how the lock, when in the locked position, fits under this tab.

Tom

post-55048-143138836063_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138836083_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138836102_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138836113_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Harry Connors

Thanks to all of you for the response and especially to Doug who is sending me the piece. I finished the welding and leading of the rear of the body and hope to have the right rocker panel on this weekend (due to the job I am limited to Saturday work time on the Lincoln). It may get finished after all. Thanks again Harry

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Harry Connors

Thanks again to everyone especially Doug Johnson who cut the piece out of a car he was junking. I sandblasted the part, measured it and then cut that area of my trunk out. After fitting and welding, I do not even have to lead the area. I had a good day today. Just a little hammer and dolly work and some clean up with the grinder disc and it looks great. Thanks again Harry