Campo Grande in Lisbon

Vintman

I think this car is a Windsor which was built for a short time in 1929-30 by Moon. There were several different versions, both 6 and 8 cylinder, of it. There is a small picture in my copy of The American car Spotter's Guide by Tad Burness of a 1930 Model 6-75 with a front bumper the same as seen here.

A quick google search found this one - http://www.flickr.com/photos/squizzy/5603043606/ - which is a 1929 6-72. Seems that the 1930 cars did not have the 'strips' on the radiator front.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Hi all,

Yes seems NZ has it, thanks NZ. Indeed, just had this from one of our 'wise-ies'

"1929 Windsor ‘White Prince’ roadster. I knew, because maybe 10 years ago there was an English-bodied 8-cyl 1928 Moon coupé near here which I was tempted to buy and restore, but was deterred by compelling evidence that some large animal had died and then decomposed on the front seats. I am attracted to the Moon (they used straight eight Continental engines in the late 1920s) as it was one of the few US makes that offered a decent 4-speed gearbox on their larger models. That local one had a fhc body by Brainsbys of Peterborough with a dickey seat at the rear, and was handsome in an ugly kind of way. Imported (the agents were in Liverpool) and as a chassis and bodied here, and right hand drive of course – another ‘plus’ factor.”

Thanks all, much appreciated. The Portugese enquirer had added: 'The photo was taken in 28 of June 1928 during the first circuit of Campo Grande in Lisbon. The ladies at the wheel are too well known actress of the day, Luisa Satanela and Corina Freire, that where posing for a pageant contest.'

Only slight concern is that the badge does not look like a Winsor? Then perhaps....

Kind Regards

Vintman (UK

post-58492-143138833136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vintman (see edit history)