Glass logos

DSpringer

Dave, suspect a state or federal regulation that replacement safety glass has to be identifible as to the source. hence their logo? There was no "fomoco" in '41, that term wasn't used until the 50's.

I had glass made for my '48 from an outfit in Northern California and it contains their logo.

Thanks, the outfit is Classic Flat Glass in Placerville, CA. They seem to know their stuff and said they would show me the vehicle code section. California trumps all other states in rules and regulations.

CFG was sensitive to the fact that I might want to show the car and that without original logos it would lose points. My original windows bear a Ford Safety Glass logo.

Jim Zeffer had glass cut for his 40, also had ford glass logo and date code...

I looked at my glass, ( southern car, baked by sun) which I replaced first thing is marked LOF (made here in t town)

and dated '74 must be standard procedure...it is simply "sand blast etched"" when cut..I am sure you can get the correct stuff...This is Amerca...just look elsewhere!!

Contact Roy Nacewicz 1-734-654-9450 about the materials to do the glass bugs. He sells a kit and will make the correct stencil for your car. He is a wealth of knowledge about these things. I bought a set for my car and it is fairly simple to use. Just be sure and practice on some scrap glass first. If you have your old glass with the date code etc, he can duplicate it for you.

Tom

post-55048-143138829327_thumb.jpg

post-55048-14313882933_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tom and everyone. Too late. They talked me into putting their logo on the windshield - not too conspicuous, but it would have been nice to use Roy's kit. Maybe I'll do that for the side windows.

They were right about the requirement for a mark and gave me the citation: Title 49, Volume 5, Section 571.205-S6.3 of the Code of Federal Regulations states: "A manufacturer or distributor who cuts a section of glazing material to which this standard applies, for use in a motor vehicle or camper, must-- (a) Mark that material in accordance with section 7 of ANSI/SAE 226.1-1996; and (B) Certify that its product complies with this standard in accordance with 49 U.S.C. 30115."

So technically, having the glass made without the mark is a federal violation. I wonder who's watching. Would having glass without the Ford logo lose points in judging?

Who is watching... is the insurance companies. Should the car be involved in an accident where anyone is injured by flying glass, there better be safety glass in it and the logo proves whether it is or not. This law was in effect in California when I did my '35 Terraplane (the first year of safety glass in windshield AND side windows) back around 25 years ago. I had a rubber stamp made to duplicate the original logo and with glass etching acid from a local craft supplier, I placed new logos on new safety glass. Sure impressed other restorers and judges when noted on the Terraplane.

Sanders did my glass a few years back (very nice job). The only mark they put on was a reproduction of the original Ford mark, which they are licensed to do. Here's their discussion of the requirements:

http://www.sandersreproglass.com/glass_logo.php

Anyway, here's their main link (I highly recommend them): http://www.sandersreproglass.com/

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

Who is watching... is the insurance companies. Should the car be involved in an accident where anyone is injured by flying glass, there better be safety glass in it and the logo proves whether it is or not. This law was in effect in California when I did my '35 Terraplane (the first year of safety glass in windshield AND side windows) back around 25 years ago. I had a rubber stamp made to duplicate the original logo and with glass etching acid from a local craft supplier, I placed new logos on new safety glass. Sure impressed other restorers and judges when noted on the Terraplane.

I'm going to have to look really carefully at all the windows on my '33 Plymouth: I had new safety glass cut and installed here in California when I put it all back together 15 years ago and I don't recall the glass company putting any markings on any of the windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Anytime you folks need glass cut from original specs let me know. Our family has been in the glass business since 1953- Lo-Can glass International for 49 years and ProSource glass international since 2004. We have been involved in hundreds of these projects in every state and you name the car. many companies are licnesed to stencil the original carlite logos- licensed by Ford using laminated safety glass with correct specs. there is no law or ruling that requires the company name or logo of any sort on the glass. I could go on but I am sure there is no federal regulation beyond that..

Feel free to contact us at 877-345-2800 or email richardt@prosourceglassintl.com

by the way we have curved NOS glass for some of the later Lincoln models such as 58-60 Lincoln and a few 52-55 model windshields if any interest. Regards, Richard