Stuyvesant Garage Part II

Rick0matic

Here is a blow up of the third car in the photo of the Stuyvesant Garage, 223 Clinton Ave, Kingston NY. Consensus is that the photo was probably taken before 1915. Discussion of this car in the original thread suggested and negated 1909 Stoddard Dayton, then someone else suggested it to be a European car. Someone else is sure it's a Roi Des Belges body. Please check the other thread.

This photo was posted on the "I'm from Kingston NY" page on Facebook. picture was made from a glass negative.

post-59713-143138824397_thumb.jpg

Could be Italia, but the bend of the axle is different from every Itala pic I could find, similar but not the same. Also, every Itala I could find has a radiator that looked the same, but the nameplate was not a long thin rectangle like in the pic of the car in question.

I think it is an Itala. The long thin badge on the radiator is the same as the one used on the 1907 Paris Peking car, see below.

1907 Itala Model 36/45 Images. Photo: 07-Itala-36-45-P2P_DV-08_dt02.jpg

I've also seen the same style badge used on similar period Italas.

The front axle I can't explain, this 1907 Itala front axle is close, although it is a racing car;

1907 Itala Model 36/45 Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

Edited by Craig Gillingham
typo (see edit history)

The Stuyvesant Garage and Stuyvesant Motor Sales were owned by the Chambers brothers, Leon and Bert, (actually Adelbert) whose father was a noted physician in Kingston. Stuyvesant Motor Sales were the Packard dealer for some years, how many I am not certain. Among others, they delivered a '33 Super Eight 1003 sedan that has been owned for many years by a friend of mine, a dark green car that he usually shows at Hershey every year. I know of several more Packards that came from this dealer, including a '31 8-45 7 pass. sedan and a '34 1100 5 pass. sedan.

If you look very carefully at the main pic in the other Stuyvesant Motors thread, you'll see "Chambers Garage" in script on the lamp glass above the garage door. Chambers is a well known name in Kingston. I am sure Chambers Elementary School was named for a family member.

Sport Model: are any of those Packards still in the Kingston area? And, since you seem familiar with the Kingston area, do you know what happened to Chase Packard's inventory (they were on Albany Ave.) or where Clayton Elmendorf's Minerva went after his estate auction back in the 1970's? Clayton Elmendorf was the proprietor of Doc Smith's Garage, not far from where the Stuyvesant Garage once stood.

I'm not so sure that it is an Itala now, I was basing this on the radiator badge, and the chain drive. This 1906 Bianchi is similar, same badge, same front axle, although the hub caps and steering wheel don't match. Early SCAT's also have the same badge and axle in the 1906-08 period, not sure if they were chain drive. I'd be looking at the large pre 1910 Italian cars for a positive id.

Photo from here;

SUPERCARS.NET - Comprehensive Specifications, Galleries & Forums since 1996

post-69884-143138849075_thumb.jpg

It possibly could be an early ALCO, pre 1908 when built as the American Berliet. Just about everything matches up with the car in this advert, except the difference in the stub axle mount. I think the car in the advert is a 24-30hp car, the car in the original photo is the larger 40-50hp, which may explain the difference. The hub caps in the original photo are a good match for the later ALCO cars, and the car in the advert has the small long radiator badge as well.

Photo came from here http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/e/e0/Im050218Auto-2Berliet.jpg

post-69884-143138851751_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craig Gillingham
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 11 years later...
On 2/5/2012 at 8:15 PM, Rick0matic said:

Here is a blow up of the third car in the photo of the Stuyvesant Garage, 223 Clinton Ave, Kingston NY. Consensus is that the photo was probably taken before 1915. Discussion of this car in the original thread suggested and negated 1909 Stoddard Dayton, then someone else suggested it to be a European car. Someone else is sure it's a Roi Des Belges body. Please check the other thread.

This photo was posted on the "I'm from Kingston NY" page on Facebook. picture was made from a glass negative.

post-59713-143138824397_thumb.jpg

1907 - 1908 American Berliet (24-30Hp) Touring  

Manufacturer : 1906 - 1908 American Locomotive Automobile Co. - Providence, Rhode Island.

view.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

• Like 3

I believe that Doc Smith's Garage sold Dodge Brothers at one time.                 John