Here's a Marmon project!!!

trimacar

Wow, what a project! One of the more unusual body styles, but how to find the missing pieces!?!? An ambitious restoration to be sure, but with nice examples selling for more than $200K, perhaps there's some upside to this one, provided you can find the parts.

Is this a previously unknown Marmon Sixteen, or has it already been "discovered" and documented by the guys in the club?

Cool find!

I guess it's less common than the regular 5- and 7-passenger sedans, but hard to say that anything with production numbers in double digits and survival rates as low as a Marmon Sixteen is common. I know I'd rather have that body style than some of the larger sedans, and know that Hyman has one with a '70s restoration for $200K, so there's some value there. Still, that's an awfully big bite to take...

• 2 months later...

I can't see the pictures anymore, but Dad had a 16 in pieces but his favorite body style he calls the "Close Coupled Sedan"- is that what was advertised?

Dad had 2 Marmon 16's when we lived near Detroit, he ended up selling them to a restorer named Ray Jones in 1970 or so. Both were sedans, one close coupled one 7 passenger (my guess).

Marmon called the five passenger sedan with the trunk a close coupled sedan and the standard sedan with trunk rack, a five passenger sedan. These are the two most common body styles, along with the coupe. All other styles (7 passenger Sedan and touring, club sedan, limousine, Victoria coupe and convertible sedans) are all in the single digit range when speaking of known existing cars. the rarest existing body style... The town car owned by Clive Cussler (yes, that Pepto Bismol Pink one). Funny Marmon Sixteen fact: With a production believed to be at 392, the Sixteen was, at manufacture time, the rarest model of Marmon. Today with 95 known vehicles ( a couple are hardly parts cars) the Marmon Sixteen is the most common existing model of Marmon (all numbers are according to the Marmon Club Registry: Thank you George Bradley for assembling the numbers and Dyke Ridgeley for his phenomenal work cataloging the remaining Sixteens).

Wildcat - The closed coupled may be my favorite as well. Buehrig's work seemed to be focused on this model and it just works to my eye. You don't happen to have any paperwork or body numbers/engine numbers do you? It would be interesting to see where they are now.

Edited by sambarn (see edit history)

Guest 68427vette

love the car, anyone have anymore info, NO trans, ouch...,

i just passed on a different car,, i want something different,, anymore help??? or info please pass it my way,,

i want a Marmon V16!! jc

Edited by 68427vette (see edit history)

The current owner of the Marmon V-16 sedan purchased the car about ten years ago from another Southern California collector for $18,000. The asking price of $41,777 is too high considering the car's condition and missing parts. I believe that finding Duesenberg Model J parts are less difficult than finding Marmon V-16 parts.

Hopefully, the seller will set a more realistic price so that this rare car can be restored.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138937699_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to interrogate my dad for any info he may have still.

I was fascinated by the grill, @ 12 yo was trying to polish the rust off with a SOS pad in the laundry sink. Dad had an extra 16 block and an unmachined NOS head in the parts pile, along with a beat up instrument cluster... Oh how I wish that stuff was still around!!!

Are the cars that Joe Bettis up in Vermont known? I think he had 2.