Anderson Pearson, My 1941-76C Buick Roadmaster

41Roadmaster

Is this where the auto-holics meet? If so, "my name is Anderson and I'm obsessed with my car..." (everyone in unison, "Hello Anderson")

I've enjoyed this forum for a year now, but have been only a wall flower, so I guess its finally time to step forward and say hello!

I have a 1941-76C Buick Roadmaster coupe convertible, Royal Maroon body, red leather interior (well, vinyl) with a tan top. I've attempted to attach some photos...I hope they post OK. I've owned this car for 12 years and have enjoyed every minute of it (even when I was miserable.)

I'm looking forward to getting to know the group better. I'm always looking to learn more about my car. Thanks for all the useful, and just plain entertaining posts!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-75951-143138813406_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138813407_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138813408_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138813409_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Anderson, welcome to the forum and glad you decided to post pictures of your beautiful Roadmaster. I have a 40 Roadmaster coupe and it is a great driving car, that I enjoy driving too! The Roadmasters 320 cu. in. engine lets it keep up with modern traffic and the 3.9 to 1.00 rear end gearing makes for easy cruising on interstates.

Helloooo Andersonnnnn ( echoing from the valleys of upper NYS) I see you have one of the Holy Grails of Buick there. Awesome car. Gotta agree w/ Woody, Thanks for posting. Hope to see this baby live at the BCA meet in your area this summer.

Thanks for the hearty welcome and compliments John! I'll definately be at the meet in June, and I'll keep an eye out for you among all those beautiful Buicks. I heard from our President, Brian DePouli (also from Charlotte) that the registration numbers are high ALREADY.

BRRR, I felt a cold draft when I opened your email. Schenectady must be native for "turn on the heat!"

Nice car, welcome to the group! I'm the resident trimmer of the group (although I'm sure others have such skills on here), so love your car, wish they'd left the Nauga's alone and gone after some cows, though!

That has to be a great driver, I used to own a '37 Buick and it was one of the nicest driving 30's cars I've ever been in....

Welcome and post awaaaay.....

BRRR, I felt a cold draft when I opened your email. Schenectady must be native for "turn on the heat!"

You are probably right, although it's been unusually mild this winter. We can still see our dirt ( I would have said grass but weeds don't really qualify as grass to me) We noted that when ever that happens we seem to have a crappy summer thereafter, so I hope it starts snowing pretty soon and gets it over with.

Anderson,

I too would like to welcome you. I love seeing the convertibles......Working on mine at the moment. Looks like a very beautiful car and I hope you have a lot of driving time. Matt:)

Thanks Matt. I've got a thing for the convertibles too. I get mine out when I can, but it never feels like its enough. My wife calls me "the one car parade."

• Like 1

Hi Dale, thanks for the welcome.

She's an all-stock driver. I don't have historical documentation (but I'm working on that through a title search and the BCA) but it looks like she was restored in the late 1970's or so. Since then, I've just been driving it. Oh, I've done the usual oil changes, carb rebuilds, water pump replacement, etc. but nothing major. I'm not a mechanic, just an enthusist trying to keep a piece of history onthe road.

But after 10 years of saving my pennies, I'm finally getting some much needed help to bring her back to former glory. It's been a long road, but I'm enjoying the walk. Looking forward to sharing the journey with all those interested!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Woody, Welcome to the Forum! What a beatiful car you have. You found the right spot for getting in with the crowd on tips and techniques, that's for sure! Looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing you in Charlotte!

Anderson,thanks for posting the pictures,what a good looking car.When I noticed that you are from Charlotte I went and look at my Autofair BCA shows pics back to '08,I knew that I've never seen your car but I wanted to make sure.I hope to see it at the National event or some other time.Welcome from Concord,NC.

• 1 month later...

Anderson;

Just found this thread, nice car you have you there! I am nearly finished restoring a Canadian built Roadmaster Coupe. I have done the paint in the same colour, as your car, Royal Maroon, and hope to have it on the road this Spring.

Thanks for sharing, and hope you continue to enjoy the forum.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the greetings. "Nearly finished" is where I'd love to be right now! My car is currently stripped down getting some much needed TLC (trying to finally get rid of a 25 year old bondo job!) and is almost ready to prime and paint. Then I'll need a new top...

Enjoy driving that Buick!

Anderson

• Like 1

Thanks Al. Yep, I know these guys well. Lewis and Hill have the car now. For the time being, I've put down my wrench, and picked up my checkbook. There are a few things I just can't do, and need to call in the pros (and boy, these guys know this car.) They are doing the bodywork now, and when I get the dough saved, most likely will provide the top kit.

Thanks for the referral,

Anderson

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Al,

Unfortunately, there was alot more work to be done to the body than I (or they) expected. Rocker panels, the trunk decking near the latch, and wheel wells all were pretty much held together with bondo and a prayer. It's all been repaired with solid metal, primed and ready to paint. I'm going up to approve the new color next week (Lancaster Grey.)

Thanks for asking. How's life in PA treating you?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, that is common on these cars, and one just doesn't know till it gets taken down to bare metal and all of it's sins are on display!

Mine was similar, but worse, and the previous owner had cut out much of the rusted body, then became ill and passed away. So I didn't have much for patterns in some areas.

Anyway, be sure to post some pictures of it when its' done, or even some "in progress" shots would be nice to see.

Keith

I posted this under PreWar General but thought to list it here too.

1941 Tires & White Wall Question<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<HR SIZE=1><!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm about to buy new tires from my 1941-76C. I'm looking to purchase as close to original as possible. I thought I had this nailed down, but have recently heard differing opinions on what is correct for my make/model.

According to Bill Anderson's Restoration Facts;

-Series 60 & 70 have 15 X 700; 4 ply bias

-And the 15" tires have 4 1/8" wide white walls (versus 3 3/4"-4" for 16")

I've double-checked with Bill and he feels this is correct. Any other 1941 Roadmaster/Century authorities care to weigh in before I spend the dough?

Thanks!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• 2 weeks later...

post-75951-143139174961_thumb.jpgRegarding tires:

I seem to have stumbled onto an area of contention. Opinions are in 2 camps. The 4 1/8" white-wallers, and the 3 1/4" white-wallers.

After looking at what's available, and talking to a few of you I've ordered the US Royal, 4-ply bias, 710X15, 3 1/4" white walls. I've also ordered tubes for these for a more authentic look.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Edited by 41Roadmaster
size correction, added photo (see edit history)

Regarding tires:

I seem to have stumbled onto an area of contention. Opinions are in 2 camps. The 4 1/8" white-wallers, and the 3 1/2" white-wallers.

After looking at what's available, and talking to a few of you I've ordered the US Royal, 4-ply bias, 710X15, 3 1/2" white walls. I've also ordered tubes for these for a more authentic look.

Thanks for all the feedback!

I hope you meant 700X15 instead of 710X15 since the latter is a 2" smaller diameter tire and will not look good on that Roadmaster (that size is used 55 Specials, etc). The whitewall proportions will visually be about the same (one inch bigger whitewall on a 1" larger radius)

I hope you meant 700X15 instead of 710X15 since the latter is a 2" smaller diameter tire and will not look good on that Roadmaster (that size is used 55 Specials, etc). The whitewall proportions will visually be about the same (one inch bigger whitewall on a 1" larger radius)

Thanks old-tank. Yep, in a perfect world I'd put on US Royal, 4 ply bias, tube type 700x15's with a 3 1/4" WW (I miswrote 3 1/2"). Unfortunately...I haven't been able to find them in the 700X15 size. The closest I found are the 710X15's.

Let me know if you know of someone making the right combination. I'd jump at them!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos taken a couple months ago showing disassembly of the car. It's pretty clear a previous owner had done some DIY body work (pop-rivits, liberal amounts of bondo...) to the rocker panels, rear fenders, and trunk.

I will be handling the restoration of the dash gauges, chrome, stainless body molding, steering wheel, etc. and Jenkins shop will handle the body work, interior, top and reassembly.

post-75951-143138996562_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138996593_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138996612_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138996641_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143138996656_thumb.jpg

Edited by 41Roadmaster
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow, it sure is apart! Unfortunately, poor past repairs are common on these old girls, and a nice coat of paint afterwards can hide a multitude of sins.

In addition to my '41 Roadmaster coupe, I'm also doing a car for my wife, a 1968 Wildcat convert, and the left rear quarter panel has been hit once, and fixed twice, filled with about an inch or more (no kidding) of bondo.

I'm sure that your '41 will look great when done!

Keith

Keith, I know exactly what you mean...here's a piece of bondo from the lower trunk lip.

The strange thing is, once all the bondo in that area was removed, the panel looked great with the exception of one small dent which was easily removed. Heck, the trunk molding fits like a glove now.

post-75951-143139000596_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Prior to the engine being pulled, the compression was checked and all is good (thanks above!) But clearly I've had some leaky gaskets. Time for some detailing.

I heard somewhere (maybe on the forum?) that the manifolds didn't originally have gaskets at the block...just a thin coating of graphite or such. Hard to believe, but does anyone have information on this?

post-75951-143139000652_thumb.jpg

While Jenkins has been working on the "heavy lifting", I've been working on getting some of the interior items restored.

The steering wheel was re-cast by Dennis Crooks at Quality Restoration in Poway CA (858-271-7374.) He also included the resin work for the horn ring, gear shift knob and turn signal. He perfectly matched to a color sample I sent him. Great guy, great work.

The chrome refinishing was done by Rick Smith of R&D Finishing in Elizabethton TN (423-543-1722.) They are a shop that focuses on smaller chroming and polishing. Anyone that has had this kind of work done knows it isn't cheap to have it done right, and Rick does it right. Send him your stuff, he'll look at it and call you with a price. If you decide not to do it, he will pay the return shipping.

post-75951-14313900068_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139000695_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139000701_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139000715_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139000734_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139000743_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143139000759_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Prior to the engine being pulled, the compression was checked and all is good (thanks above!) But clearly I've had some leaky gaskets. Time for some detailing.

I heard somewhere (maybe on the forum?) that the manifolds didn't originally have gaskets at the block...just a thin coating of graphite or such. Hard to believe, but does anyone have information on this?

That is what the '50 shop manual says. I tried it but it leaked badly.

Ben

• Like 1

When these were new, they would seal without gaskets, but after so many years, most won't. The point is since there is so much expansion of the exhaust manifolds due to heat, they will break. I have used gaskets on my '41, and it seals, with only about 15 ftlbs of torque, and so far no cracks.

Some are recommending an anti-seize compound on the sealing surface, to allow them to slide back and forth easily.

The manifolds on the dual carb engines are different, more like a V-8, and I'm thinking that they are less prone to this problem, although there are those that have much more experience with these than I.

Keith

To get the surfaces to seal, both sides must be milled flat. I've done this on several Buick 401, 350, and 455 exhaust manifolds. I only had one problem with a set not wanting to seal, because the manifolds were ground out to flow better, and they were very thin, and prone to warping. All of the others sealed well. I don't know about those big straight 8's though.