Anderson Pearson, My 1941-76C Buick Roadmaster

41Roadmaster

Sorry guys' date=' work and other distractions have been keeping me away from regular updates. But I'm determined to get caught up...;)

Here are some shots inside George's garage. Work is progressing, but I've had a couple of setbacks. I didn't realize that the old gas tank (which I had cleaned/painted) was a larger, incorrect, tank. We didn't notice the problem until everything was going back together (see filler photo.) Luckily after a few phone calls I was able to locate the correct tank.

I'm going to need to look for a better housing for the fresh air intake screen. Mine is pretty crisp.

Also, the bottom of both my inner fenders were badly rusted. New lower sections were made at a local shop. I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

On a positive note, gravel shields are on along with a few other odds and ends...[/quote']

So what IS the tank out of??? Perhaps a 38 Roadmaster???? Bring some dimensions this weekend and we can check...

Guest ole buick

What a beautiful automobile that you have put together. I know the effort it takes to do a car to the level. It's well worth it when it's done and you go on your first one car parade. If you need to raise $$ for that last push I may have a buyer for all that nail polish at your house.

Donnie

• 2 weeks later...

I have been catching up on some odds and ends, slowing making progress when I can:

Here are some detail shots of my bumper tips (AKA "elephant ears".) I had all 4 re-chromed, then I painted the insets black. I painted the back side a matte silver color (I've been told this is how they looked originally.) Also shown here are the clips for attachment.

post-75951-143142205878_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205883_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205887_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205891_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205895_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205899_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My armrests were misplaced at some point after removing them from the door panels. Originally I was going to just buy a complete replacement set from Bob's but they only had the pads in stock, not the cores. So I purchased some inexpensive donors to get the cores. These were pretty crispy...to say the least. After studying the way they were held together, I slowly took the first one apart. After that little learning curve, the second one was smooth sailing. These will be sent off to be re-upholstered at the same time the interior is done.

post-75951-143142205924_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205928_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205932_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205935_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205939_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205943_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142205946_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

When you first said you were going to change the color from maroon I thought, MISTAKE. But now I see that you made a great decision. That car looks truly beautiful! You could not help but feel great riding around in that! Nice work!!!

Anderson,

Who did your chrome plating? Are you happy with it? The car is coming together nicely. Is Jesse doing your interior? Are you going with red and a black top?

DE

Thanks guys! Yes, seeing it come back together after so long has been fantastic. The body work seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r but now I'm glad I took Lewis and George's advise..."do it right the first time."

Here's what I thought a '41 Buick looked like for the longest time :) These are the parts I contracted out separately, or did myself. This was all in my architecture studio (after the first diassembled gauge on the coffee table, my wife banished me from the house.) Clients would ask "what building does all that go to?" I'd just tell them "it's GM's finest!"

Dennis-the chrome was done by R&D Finishing, and the upholstery will be done by Gretchen & John Kepich (in progress.) Contact info on both are listed earlier in this thread if you need it. A

post-75951-143142262471_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142262475_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142262479_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142262483_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found a NOS NoRoL hydraulic brake accessory, and am thinking of installing it on the RM. I haven't talked to George yet, so I don't know exactly how it works (or if it works at all!) If I understand correctly, once installed, it keeps the car from rolling backward on an incline while idling. So no more "riding the clutch", I guess.

It would be interesting to know if it is a rare, or fairly common, accessory on 1941-48 Buicks today. Does anyone have this on their car?

post-75951-143142272612_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142272616_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142272621_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142272625_thumb.jpg

post-75951-143142272629_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice find Anderson. I first read about it in Bill Anderson's book. It sounds like a neat option. I wish I had one on one of the 41's. My guess is it is a rather rare option. Where did you locate it?

Nice find Anderson. I first read about it in Bill Anderson's book. It sounds like a neat option. I wish I had one on one of the 41's. My guess is it is a rather rare option. Where did you locate it?

Thanks Dennis, I'm guessing its rare too, but I don't know for sure. I made a trade with a fellow eBay-er. I've found that some rare things can only be gotten by trading other rare things...I'll let you know if I have all the parts in the kit for it to work :) It has instructions, and it looks complete, so we'll see.

A down side of a HILL HOLDER...........

In 1955 I came upon a car/train wreck. Seems a lady in a Stude started to pull upon the RR tacks, and decided NOT to proceed. She hit the brakes and her engine died, you can't release the HILL HOLDER until you pull forward, at least with the Stude piece. By the time she got the Stude started the train clipped the Stude front bumper, spun the car into the side of the train.

I was first on the scene, she lost her life, I have never forgotten that, and often wondered if I would like that option. Just a true story, and my opinion.

Dale in Indy

I have a No-rol on my 1948 Buick sedanet. I have the lever arm that connnects to the clutch linkage wired up so it is not currently in use. Once I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, etc. I found that it had to be adjusted. I did not find this to be easy and I could never find the time to get to adjusting it. If it is not adjusted properly you will get some strange things happening with the brakes. Basically, as I understand it, there is a ball or some part inside the No-rol actuator that rolls toward the rear of the car when you are facing uphill. This ball blocks off brake fluid from returning to the master cylinder until you release the clutch as the lever arm is connected to the clutch linkage and it releases the ball. When not adjusted properly, the brakes might release too early and you roll back, or the brakes hold even when the clutch is nearly all out. Also, I found some grabbing of the brakes when moving down hill just after stopping and letting off the brake.

In use, you come to a traffic light to stop and are facing uphill. You push in the clutch and apply the brakes. You can now release the brake pedal and the car will not roll back because the brake fluid cannot return to the master cylinder.

When the light changes to green, you feed the accelerator and let up the clutch and then the lever arm on the No-rol allows the brake fluid to return to the MC thereby releasing the brakes and you move forward as the clutch engages.

I adjusted my parking brake and found that it can hold my car on a hill and so I use that.

Good luck with it.

Joe, BCA 33493