1939 Special Fuel Tank

Joseph P. Indusi

1939 Ponti (bigger series?), La Salle, Olds & Caddy S60 may be a match (same basic body & rear fenders). Or 1940

As with such items Dave Tacheny worth trying (he should give me a discount as I refer him so often)

[Area number is 763 now, not 612 ??]

As link in the Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.com

The best man on planet Earth for late '30s Buick parts is Dave Tacheny. Believe it! Mail your want list to him at 11949 Oregon Ave. N., Champlin, MN 55316, or call 612-427-3460.

According to my 1955 Hollander interchange catalog the tanks are specific to the car, no other car uses the same tank:

Part# 1313484 Buick '38-40 Ser. 80,90

Part# 1313810 Buick '39 Ser. 40,60

BTW, Tanks Inc will build a custom tank, a person on the Yahoo! '37-38 Buick web site had one built for his '37 Century convertible.

Also, the old Torque Tube magazine had an article about using the tank from a early '70s Nova, you have to relocate the filler tube but the Nova tank has the same dimensions as a '37-38 Buick and they're sold by many after market gas tank makers. I don't know if the '39 has the same general dimensions or not.

• 2 years later...

There is a place in Wauchula, FL that dips tanks and removes all rust and even the old style Bill Hirsh gastank sealer. If you do that, the tinning is also taken away. If any holes are small they can be welded/soldered/sealed up and then the new Bill Hirsch stuff put that can stand Ethanol. I did that on my car after the old Bill Hirsch stuff began to break up and clog the fuel system after 30 years and introduction of Ethanol (the scurge of mankind). Of course if you are in Australia or some other country, my fix won't work.

One more suggestion, check eBay. If you aren't in a hurry for a tank one might show up some time in the future. I found this tank for my '37 Special a year or two ago by searching for "gas tank", nothing for a specific make, model or year. The seller had it listed for an early '50s Chevy but he wasn't sure. I asked for the dimensions of the tank and they were close so I bought it for $87, plus shipping. When I got it wasn't close, it was exact. I have to tweak the filler neck a little but it's exactly like the original.

post-63376-143142788672_thumb.jpg

Edited by bobj49f2 (see edit history)

My '39 Century tank is pretty rough.....love to find someone making a replacement.

I measured my tank and it looks pretty much like the '37 in post #22.

The sending unit is on the front/top.... the filler is on the drivers side and enters the tank 4 inches from the rear of the tank (the 4 inches is to the middle of the filler tube)

there is a brace on the bottom side of the filler.