4 passenger scooter

Dave Mellor NJ

The scooter was later identified as a 47 Motorette by Swi66

motorette13a.jpg

Introduced in 1947 the Motorette was manufactured by the Motorette Corp. of Buffalo, New York. (USA). The vehicles were primarily designed for use in a mile long aircraft plant but due to their practicality found many other useful roles. It is powered by a one-cylinder 4.1hp air-cooled engine that drives a single wheel that when fully laden will propel the vehicle at 39mph (though it does not have a speedometer) at up to 60 mpg. The body of the Motorette was all aluminum with a channel construction "X" frame chassis and steering is done by what can only be described as oval handlebars. A windscreen was an optional extra.

The Motorette came in a number of forms that included the Model 20 that was an all round vehicle that was a 2 seater with 6 cubic feet of luggage space and the Model 30 that was also a 2 seater with its luggage capacity increased to 10 cubic weight.

Famous owners of the Motorette include the American comedian Bob Hope who wanted "an extra "get-about car" where no car could go.

Production of the Motorette is thought to have ceased in the early 1950s.

• 2 months later...
Guest LFisher160
I'll take the Woodie on the left of the pic.

I got a woodie when I saw the photo. Now all I need is a Motorette!