1941 Buick Limo

wildcat70

Marty,

Model 90, Limited 8-Passenger Sedan, $2360, 906 produced

Model 90L, Limited Limousine, $2465, 669 produced

Model 91, Limited 6-Passenger Sedan, $2155, 1231 produced

Model 91F, Limited 6-Passenger Formal Sedan, $2310, 296 produced

The Model 90L was the most expensive regular production 1941 Buick.

Grandpa

John, I have seen the 669 figure, a 636 figure, and most prominently a 605 figure.

Any idea as to how many are registered still known to exist? I know many pre-war cars found themselves in the "melting pot" of recycled metal for the post-war cars.

I was told these can be valued up to 60K, Is that true?

If you get the chassis number & engine number Dave Corbin will likely give you some interesting information on when made

Agreed. The famous 41 Limiteds. I see you are a BCA member. Grab the Bugle from 1-2 issues back where Pete Phillips covered the 41's.

There are a few more out there then are listed in the BCA roster. Luckily, these survived WW II scrap drives. The numbers produced are not that important if you like the car.

A few of these reside in museums and private collections. About 1 per year shows up at the BCA Nationals. Most are either #5 full on restoration projects or nice originals/older restorations.

Let's see some photos!

Marty,

You must be looking in very nice barns. I have the same car in similar or better condition. In the last couple of years I have seen some for sale in very nice original condition with some work to chrome/paint and mechanical's go for 27k - 35k. This is if every thing is turn key and good working order. A very nice/ or completely restored car could be 50k-65k but it wold take more than that to bring a "barn find" to that condition.

I am amazed how nice the one you found looks. The value does not follow the rarity, as the car is worth about the same as a nice coupe. But they are nice driving cars and run well at freeway speeds. If it has the divider window the front seat is a bit tight to the steering wheel.

If you look back 1-2 months there was one listed on this site, it was sold after 1-2 months. I think the asking price was about 32k.

Hope this helps, they are great cars, Buy it and drive it!

Steve Fisher

Steve,

When I was driving her, yes, it was a bit tight to the steering wheel, but did not look to see if there was any adjustments that could be made. She runs and drives great !! I will need a water pump and one of the carbs is not hooked up, but starts and runs like a champ.

Does yours have the "0" in the model number spot as well?

I have been very lucky over the years in finding way cool and rare cars for crazy prices. I drove my 42 Super Sedanette out of a barn in Ohio for 3K...for example......

I would have to look at my ID plate and the car is in winter storage. It may take a few weeks to look. A 90l would have jump seats and electric divider window.

The one you found has the hard to find bumper ends, Does it have a 5 band radio?

- Sounds like you going to buy it ?

Definitely a keeper. Style 41-4933 is a Model 90L so it will have a power operated divider window and pull out jumpseats. No adjustment is available on the front seat due to the divider window. That does make seating up front a little tight; so let someone else drive while you stretch out in the back with something cold to drink.

Oshawa did not build any ;41 Limited's but imported them from Flint 'green' and then had them trimmed. These were issued to Generals and the like.

MODEL 37.81 H.P. 90 LIMITED 139” W.B. 4-DOOR 6-SEAT TOURING SEDAN [MODEL 41-91/4919]

MODEL 37.81 H.P. 90 LIMITED 139” W.B. 4-DOOR 6-SEAT TOURING LIMOUSINE [MODEL 41-90/4923]

MODEL 37.81 H.P. 90 LIMITED 139” W.B. 4-DOOR 8-SEAT LIMOUSINE WITH AUXILIARY SEATS [MODEL 41-90L/4933]

SERIALS RAN: # 1-3880012 TO 1-4257441

ENGINE SERIALS: #9-4085000 TO # 9-4453893

FLINT PRODUCTION STARTED 23 AUGUST 1941

I would not have thought that the digit meant that. I would have thought that military cars would have had special overall olive drab, but we know that Canadian governmental cars seem to have standard paint jobs. That body # 10 suggests that it is a very early car. I did wonder whether '0' meant that it was a 1940 delivery. Or is it a mis-stamp?

David

This is NOT a smart a_ _ comment. You stated it was a barn find, the condition of the car to me looks like it was PARKED in a barn, NOT stored there for years and years, like most barn finds. Almost all barn finds I have come in contact with had lots of bird droppings, mice problems, very dirty, and hadn't been driven in years.

Would that be a reasonable assumption?

I happy for you, and the Buick,

Dale in Indy

That '0' looks as though it is a seperate stamp from the chassis-line data. I wonder if it is anything to do with the end-user? Being supposedly an early car I discounted it being a frozen stock car that was then released later for official allocation. I shall to have to ask around my military vehicle expert colleagues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest shorttimer
All Model 90L cars used a leather front seat. Obviously for the chauffer whose work clothes might soil a broadcloth material

Generally true, but there are often exceptions to the rule. The 90L my father owned was outfitted from the factory with bedford cord on the front seats and broadcloth on the doors (and had a SO# on the body tag).

The car was originally ordered by a funeral home here in California, and bedford cord was apparently an attempt to keep the driver cooler in the summer months.

Years back the factory OFTEN made EXCEPTIONS.

In 1954 a fellow came in to Dad's dealership, ordered a Roadmaster 4-door. He requested, Green body, Bright Red top, and Blue interior. Orders were sent via mail then, soon the factory called and said they wanted to confirm the colors. Dad said YES, you see the owner ownes a Carnival and this would be a Parade car.

When it arrived, and the customer came to pick it up he said, SMITTY, ISN'T IT BEAUTIFUL.. So I wouldn't be surprised if in 41 customers couldn't special order.

Dale in Indy