Mercedes,Benz or Mercedes Benz ?????????

Leif Holmberg

It's often hard to tell the year of early Benz and Mercedes Benz cars on photos. Leif's car could very well indeed be a Benz car but the radiator badge is to small to clearly see. Juha, your car is definitely a Benz since the badge is clearly visible. It would be pre-1926 for sure.

Mercedes Benz cars still used wood spoke wheels as well but I'm not certain how late into the twenties, or for that matter into the thirties, they were used. The external gear shift and hand brake levers could still be late teens or early twenties. So Leif's car could very well be just a Benz.

Hi,

Had a look at this one earlier on the other site and did not immediately come to a conclusion. From my observation early Mercedes started spitzkuhler rads with the three pointed star on each side. Benz who were quite separate at the time, and very much the competion, also went to spitzkuhlers at about 1912. Benz had a round badge with white background placed centrally on the point of the rad. Mercedes Benz were not formed unit 1926.

This would seem to be a post WW1 Benz but at this stage I have not been able to pin a model number on it.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

Classic Cars, Veteran Cars and Vintage Cars - The Surrey Vintage Vehicle Society

Hi,

One of our knowledgeable experts John Warburton advises "I agree Benz circa 1920. I can only find photos of the smaller models, the W.10 (8/20hp - 6/18 pf German) and the 16/50hp 6-cylinder DS2. I feel sure that the unknown car is larger, it has a longer bonnet with more louvres, and the only larger ‘six’ at this time period was the 27/70hp of 100 x 150mm = 7070cc. This model named the E6. So I guess that this is what we have. The scale given by the crew indicates a very large touring car."

I have no photo of this model so will therefore rest with his thoughts unless anybody can prove to the contrary or produce a photo.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

Classic Cars, Veteran Cars and Vintage Cars - The Surrey Vintage Vehicle Society

Vintman,it seems that your expert John was right,I was looking at Benz too and found a picture of the front window frame that looked as on the car we asked about.Our webmaster has accepted it and put the photo on identified cars.

Thanks "Vintman"and thanks to your expert John as well.

Leif in Sweden.