Swan Carburetor manifold

broadstreet3

My guess is, the four holes at the bottom go over studs that protrude just 1/4" beyond the manifold and then apply a nut and washer. As far as the large hole on top, that spans the two intake ports on the head (which then splits inside the head to two cylinders each. It may have been cheaper to make one hole in the manifold than smaller holes close together. The large square holes on the ends were probably used to take hot air from the surface of the head to pre-heat the intake mixture. Not real sure, but it sounds good....

Frank

This is posibly a unit intended for use on a farm tractor. Most of the early tractors had very elaborate manifolds that circulated exhaust gas around the intake pasages. This enabled the machine to run on Kerosene, {starts on Gasoline} a signifigantly lower cost fuel . These manifolds were prone to damage over time, and were very expensive to replace {or N.L.A. for out of production machines}. So there sprang up a market for simpler non heated replacement manifolds . Kerosene eventualy lost it's cost advantage so straight gasoline operation became normal. I belive Swan were one of the manufactures of these replacement manifolds.

Greg in Canada- Lots of those old Kero burners in western Canada.

Information on the Swan carburetor is virtually non-existant.

We have entries for Elcar and McFarland listed in our database. These all from the years 1927 and 1928.

During this time, many carburetor manufactures made A/M manifold/carburetors to sell to customers that were unhappy with their existing carburetors. The customers often finding that what they had originally was better than the A/M unit.

Jon.

This is posibly a unit intended for use on a farm tractor. Most of the early tractors had very elaborate manifolds that circulated exhaust gas around the intake pasages. This enabled the machine to run on Kerosene, {starts on Gasoline} a signifigantly lower cost fuel . These manifolds were prone to damage over time, and were very expensive to replace {or N.L.A. for out of production machines}. So there sprang up a market for simpler non heated replacement manifolds . Kerosene eventualy lost it's cost advantage so straight gasoline operation became normal. I belive Swan were one of the manufactures of these replacement manifolds.

Greg in Canada- Lots of those old Kero burners in western Canada.

Thanks,Greg. That explains those holes,but I still don't see how a person could put a bolt ,or stud with nut, in those 4 holes.

• 4 months later...

I know Elcar used Swan carburator and manifold at least in 1926... my car has one. Pic of my carb attached.

It was promoted as a carburator that helped to save fuel. You could actually regulate it from the dashboard, moving a system on it's side that will move a needle inside or out, to allow less or more gas to go into the carb. I haven't seen it work, as you can tell in one of the pics that my car is a rough project... engine working fine now, but I forgot to try the system.

My 2 cents...

Victor

post-31812-143138996858_thumb.jpg

post-31812-143138996868_thumb.jpg

post-31812-143138996875_thumb.jpg

post-31812-143138996883_thumb.jpg

post-31812-143138996891_thumb.jpg

post-31812-1431389969_thumb.jpg