6 volt generator needed

R.White

I am searching for a suitable 6 volt generator for my 1926 DB (2 unit) tourer. The chances of finding the correct unit may be slim but I am hopeful that someone will have one that will do the job.

I think a Noth East three brush dynamo is the type originally fitted but as the original is missing , perhaps more knowledgeable members may be able to confirm this for me. The chassis number is A 791 370 and engine number C 861 - 425.

Ideally a good working unit will surface but if the right generator can be found, a tidy, complete example in need of repair would also be considered. I need to get this fine vintage motor back on the road so I am happy to pay a good price for the best I can get. There are not many vintage Dodge Brothers cars over here .

Please allow for shipping to the U.K. Your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ray.

Ray, My 1927 series (Sept.'26) A770913, C 841-314 , shares the same generator as your DB. I have the original NE ,3 brush as you assumed. If it helps its a model# 6334.Sorry don't have a spare. Check with Meyers or Romar. I have also seen them on Ebay (rarely). Bill

Bill, many thanks for that model # ; it will help with getting the right thing. So far, I have tried Gene Sanson, who is having a search through his stock for me. I will keep checking Ebay but I agree, there seems to be very little in the way of Dodge Brothers parts about these days.

I did not realise Myers and Romar sold used parts untill you kindly informed me so I now have another avenue to try. What surprises me is that considering so many cars have been 'hot rodded' that there are not more parts available from that source ! I could make enquiries but those guys sort of scare me!!

As far as the generator is concerned, do you know if any of the later types could be suitable?

Cheers,

Ray.

Be carefull you might get a gen. from a late model chevy Cavalier and then get a hard time trying to return it when you figure out it wont fit!

Sorry for all the edits but I keep chuckling too myself because I keep coming up with amendments to my original post that I feel are worth sharing.

Ray where is that emoticon of the man fishing :D

Hey seriousely though I strongly reccomend you proceed as planned, I am sure that you will come out a much wiser man in the end. ;)

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Thanks for the tip off, Jason. Guess you have had some bother with this guy ? Alas, there will always be those who will give you the run around. My DB starter motor is at present with an auto electrician who has always given good service in the past. I have even recommended this outfit and written testimonials in their favour. Now they are pissing me off. They have had my starter motor since mid September and keep fobbing me off with feeble excuses.

I only mention this because it has taught me a lesson (and we can all learn a hard lesson at any age) that I will probably never again reccommend anyone, no matter how good they seem to be.

By the way, you don't happen to have a spare generator for sale, do you?

Cheers,

Ray.

No but I will keep my eyes open.

Maybe Dave can tell us if the Gen. in the images I sent him of the Graham truck being parted out might work. If so I can put you in contact with him directly

I will post the pict. later this evening, I dont know if it will help you or not, dont know if its right, dont know if its for sale, I just know the guy contacted me about som G.B truck info and mentioned he was parting out one of them and had spare parts for sale.

If its not the right one maybe Texacola can post a pict. of the correct one so we can all know what it looks like and keep our eyes peeled

Hi Dave, and everyone,

can you tell me if the 6 volt 2 unit 116 models are less common and spares therefore harder to find?. I have also had no luck with my search for a water pump for the same 1926 car and had to fabricate a number of "make do" bits and pieces.... not that I am complaining; in fact there is satisfaction in overcoming problems to get something to work. Ever tried rewinding a cut - out?!!

The dynamo fitted to my car is a Miller (obviously should be North East) and was obviously too small a diameter and some enterprising chap had turned a large, thick, aluminium sleeve to fit over the generator body and bring it into line with the drive shaft!. Unfortunately, the generator is open circuit and I suspect burned out. There seems little point in rebuilding this unit if a correct one can be had. Besides, I would like to get things to original design if I can. It is my intention to use the car frequently; probably all the time in the better weather so I need to crack on with it!.

Ray.

Edited by R.White
name (see edit history)

Again if you can get a Pict. Ray I bet I might have some luck, I have people contact me every once in a bit to ask questions, dont know why they feel that they cant just post them here. Either way good luck