Car identification

Guest Lemoyne

Guest Jim_Edwards

Hard to say for sure because of the picture size, but it looks like it might be a '66 Ford Galaxie or Galaxie 500.

Guest Jim_Edwards

May not be a mid 1950s anything. The roof turret is too flat and the "C" pillar too narrow and appears to be at the wrong angle for a mid '50s car. The backward slant of the grille/bumper trim is somewhat troublesome. On the other hand, the hood does look mid to late '50s something. The larger photo is just too blurry to really get a handle on it. Sorry!

Guest Jim_Edwards
I don't see the Chevy in the picture. I see what looks like quad headlights and a verticle grill which means to me a 1958 Edsel Pacer.

t58pac4s.gif

I think what you are seeing in the photo as possibly being the Edsel horse collar grille is a plant that just happens to be in the right place to make it appear to be an Edsel, though the angle of the parking lights does seem to somewhat match the backward angle I mentioned previously. However, the undercut of the Edsel hood pretty much blows that one out of the water.

Honestly, my first gut impression when I saw it was a 1959-1960 Cadillac going by the quad headlights with flat top fender and the raked rear roofline like a Coupe deVille style. And the quad pod park lights. But it is such a blurred picture and odd angle. I still say not a '56 Chevy.

1959_Cadillac_Coupe_de_Ville.jpg

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

Assuming that is the front of the car we are looking at, the headlights look to be a short way apart which would suggest Oldsmobile of around 1959.

Look closer at the bumper park light pods on the Cadillac and then look at the same area in the photo.

Given that this is a staged photo for the hotel, it may be that this car is something a little more exotic. Anybody else think it might be an El Morocco?

1956-1957-chevrolet-el-morocco-8.jpg

I do not see dual headlights in the photo, and the A pillar looks to me to be at least vertical (with a white reflection from the sun on one side that makes that side look like a later car's roof).

Wow! I must be way off, but I don't see Cadillac fins. I see a car with what looks to be a bench or picnic table in front of it. To me, the car has a similar "C" pillar to this '61 Ford.

post-37352-143138787776_thumb.jpg

To me, the car has a similar "C" pillar to this '61 Ford.

Yes, but only on one side.:confused:

I'm working on the assumption that that's a reflection of the snow and/or sun on the glass, and that the windshield's curve is causing it. Also that A pillar (if it is one) looks to be white, while the rest of the car looks blue to me (including the roof).

Guest straight shooter

At first I also thought it was an Edsel because of the vertical grill but when I looked at the larger picture I realized that it is a plant, tree stump or something else in front of the car and not part of the grill. I also don't see dual headlights.

Guest my3buicks

I'm thinking 59 0r 60 Ford Thunderbird convertible with the top down and another car sitting on the other side of it appearing to be the roofline.

As far as I can see, it does not have a wraparound windshield. Therefore, about everything in the mid to late '50's is out. The C-Pillar slant is too extreme for any GM product before 1965 and to thin for GM cars after that. The greenhouse really resembles a '65-66 Comet but the grille does not. I don't know what it is except the photo is a mess.

I do not see four headlights in that picture. Whatever car that is I'm sure it has single headlights mounted in the fenders above the grill line. That's the only way I can (in my imagination) make both sides of that car match using what is visible in the photo.

Also it almost has to have a wraparound windshield, with the white line being a reflection. Otherwise the 2 sides of the windshield have different slope angles.

Guest Mike Rose
As far as I can see, it does not have a wraparound windshield. Therefore, about everything in the mid to late '50's is out. The C-Pillar slant is too extreme for any GM product before 1965 and to thin for GM cars after that. The greenhouse really resembles a '65-66 Comet but the grille does not. I don't know what it is except the photo is a mess.

Off topic, but reverting to your post with photos a coupla years back... to enquire if that shortened Willys Knight roadster could be available to acquire now.... and if you know where to locate it? Many thanks, Mike <marrosATclearDOTnetDOTnz>