Finned Aluminum Cylinder Heads

abelincoln

I've had several conversations with RA Perriguey, Empire Motors Inc, El Paso, TX. He makes beautiful looking V-12 finned heads and corresponding two pot manifolds per the Elelbrock design that he has improved upon. He also makes a lot of exotic parts, Cadillac V-16 and Packard 8 blocks, Auburn and Mercer engines, etc. They are period reproduction parts, so should be OK if your car is concurs judged. Questions:

Anyone familiar with these parts?

Price quotes are $2650 for a pair of heads, and $2250 for the intake. This seems high, but forms and cores cost $30-40K, materials $3-400. They seem to be finely machined, and ports match gaskets.

Is there interest in a group purchase? We'd need: 1) orders for 10 or so sets, 2) someone to collect and ship the individual orders. Hopefully, someone nearby to avoid large transportation charges. We'd reimburse shipping costs. We could expect a 10% or so discount.

So, who is willing to put the $ down? They work pre-paid, and take 12-16 weeks. Anyone willing to collect and ship, fully reimbursed of course?

Comments, questions?

post-43470-143138785808_thumb.jpg

post-43470-143138785812_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. Seems like there was reported an earlier bankruptcy on H.A.M.B., and the company reconstituted with some folks loosing money. They claim to have sold Lincoln heads, so someone must have more recent experience. Anyone willing to share?

Abe

I received a nice detailed quote from this operation just over a year ago - probably before their troubles. It was very detailed and professional and the prices were about the same as what you've quoted above, but I was (and still am) nowhere near this point in my restoration to spend that much $ and basically stick it on the shelf for another 2-3 years.

However if it were found that the operation was more stable and the group buy was maybe a bit better than 10%, I could be persuaded to "invest" that level of funds and gaze at them on the shelf for the next few years! However pre-paid and waiting 12-16 weeks seems a bit unusual. Sounds like they subcontract the actual casting operation then do the final finishing themselves.

Count me in as an interested party - I'll be watching the thread with a large amount of interest. Just hoping the leadtime and discount can improve

Jim

Guest notnow

And a "Further Note"..Empire Motors ,Paramount Patterns and International Foundry & Tooling All use 1351 Montana as their "Mailing Address ..Rebecka Perriguey and Ray Perrriguey are Principals in all 3 Conpanies along with another Company called R & P Specialtys whose address is 3300 Narim St. There is a lot of "BAD" Publicity on These Company's ..Myself, I'm going to "Burn Rubber" getting away from Them ..My Money is Too Hard to come By!!!!!

I had a set of Packard 12 heads done by Empire about 5 years ago, took 5 months but are very nice heads the only thing wrong with them is the water temp outlet is the wrong size so had to use an brass fitting to make it work.

There was a guy in San Jose Ca. that was making the finned heads for the Lincoln, Someone here will know him.

• 3 months later...

Fellows, it seems to be a hit and miss thing with Empire. He just made some Hudson 262-308 finned aluminum heads that are an improved design by Rudy Bennett and Chuck Fellows, both long time Hudson owners and racers. Some of the heads have been delivered and look pretty good. Others have not been and the customers are still waiting on them.

Ray (at empire) is working on a finned Twin H intake manifold to match the head and should be ready for production very soon. It seems to be that he has the molds-patterns made "in house" and the casting is done elsewhere.

• 2 months later...
Guest Cliff J

Hi I appreciate your post about cylinder heads for the Lincoln V12. I am definately interested in acquiring finned cylinder heads for my 1948 Club Coupe. But having read some of the cautionary tales of other responders I am a little leery of being ripped off. I would like to be kept up to date with developments on the finned head front and I am interested in the purchase of same whether from the folks at Empire in Texas or Kearney in San Jose Calif. I think that the idea of a group purchase might effect some savings for all participants. Again Thanks. Cliff j. Cliff Johnson in California. cjohnson@bak.rr.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I ordered a set of bare castings form him. I read some scary things so I've insisted on a COD transaction, which he agreed to. He's told me 3 times now the heads were ready to ship but still no heads here. I don't really need them yet so it's no big deal but just a bit weird....he calls and emails to tell me they are ready to go, I say fine just give me a tracking number when they're on their way so I can be home to meet them with the money and then nothing for 3 days to a week...then a call telling me they're ready to go.....repeat. I say weird just because I'm not calling or emailing him asking when so I can't figure-out what purpose the false shipping dates serve other than to (further) tarnish his reputation????

The price for the bare casting he gave me was $1510 delivered to PA.

Empire called me with a valid tracking number yesterday that says the package will arrive Tuesday.....we'll see what shows up.

Again this is a COD order! I paid NOTHING up front.

Ray called me today asking if I got the tracking # message and in talking he mentioned that he has 3 sets of "as cast" unfinned heads sitting on the shelf that are externally copies of the original "zephyr" script heads.....and I'm 3/4 thinking about taking a set because I kind of prefer the simple, clean look...of course I'd need to sell the fined set of my wife do be.....displeased with me :)

Guest 65Starfire

I purchased the dual carb finned intake and it is an exceptionally nice casting. I inquired about heads and I received some mail with an order and pics of an unfinished set of heads about a month ago. If they are finished with the machining I may wire the funds when I get back to it after the holidays...

The product is great but I paid after they were complete.

Will be a chore doing all the machining on those heads. We recently bought a pair from Kearney, excellent quality with all machining complete and ready to install.

I've heard nothing but good things about Kearney.....Empire was a lot cheaper though so I took a little risk.

I got them unmachined because I want to play with pop-up pistons and some changes to the chamber shape so want all the material I could have available. They say the heads are available ready to bolt-on too, but I can't attest to the quality or anything but the castings that I got whihc are good.......when you order COD at least.