Peerless For Sale Department

jeff_a

In case you haven't read it in the Peerless Research Findings thread or recent ebay listings, there are 2 1932 Peerlesses for sale with an interesting story. They were originally collected by Roscoe Stelford of Pingree Grove, IL who had one of three big oldtime Peerless collections {Harrah's, Stelford's and Dotson's}. I guess his place in rural northern Illinois was legendary for what you could find there. Richard Lichtfeld was driving around in a 1916 Peerless V-8 in the 1950's and someone directed him to Stelford's place for a spare part, which he had. I heard about someone else who found what he described as "The Cord Prototype" there and added it to his collection. Most of the old cars were purchased 25 to 50 years earlier when just used cars.

When Mr. Stelford died about 25 years ago there were still 13 Peerless left. A Mr. Chisolm and a Mr. Backer bought a number of these and took them to Fulton, MO. A museum called Auto World started there and these cars were in storage but not on display or even on the museum's website where they list their cars. Somehow, Peter Krell, the owner of Pete's Classic Cars, knew about them, was able to buy the cars, and put them up for sale at his business in the Dallas area.

Both are truly among the last-of-the-line offerings of the luxury carmaker Peerless. One is a 1932 Peerless Deluxe Master Eight Five Passenger Sedan, price $9,995. One is a 1932 Peerless Custom Eight, which was usually called a Five Passenger Brougham, but can also be called a 5-Passenger Sedan, price $19,500. Both need total restoration. The Custom is in better shape than the Deluxe Master Eight. The good news is that the seller has provided lots of detailed color photos of both Peerlesses on his business website: www.petesclassiccars.com.

The last hurrah for Peerless luxury cars, the Alexis de Sakhnoffsky-designed straight eight cars, were sold in 1930, 1931, and 1932. My count of existing Peerless Eights from those years shows 32, 4 of them questionable. 2,003 Standard Eights were built, 1,219 Master and Deluxe Master Eights, and 555 Custom Eights. Peerless built about 107,000 cars overall, averaging 3,800 a year from 1900-1931.

These 2 cars had disappeared. I'm glad Mr. Krell found them and grateful that he's shared so much information with us.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Nice to hear from you again A.J.,

The Peerless Custom Eight body styles were:

Coupe........5 Pass. Club Sedan........5 Pass. Brougham........7 Pass. Sedan........7 Pass. Limousine

$2,795................$2,845......................$2,845..................$2,945...................$3,045

Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence lists 6 to 8 survivors out of 555 built. Maybe you've seen one of them, Ele Chesney's car. Possibly as many as 12 Masters and Deluxe Masters, and 8 Standard Eights.

----Jeff

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. Peerless information cannot be verified by factory records like with some other makes. Unlike a lot of higher-production cars like Cadillac, Corvette and Packard, there aren't a lot of books on Peerless. The Peerless archives vanished about 1946. The Standard Catalog has some slightly different numbers than the new car prices above, which were taken from Richard Lichtfeld's 2009 book The History of the Peerless Automobile Company. There's also some coverage of this in Richard Wager's Golden Wheels.

When the all straight eight Peerless lines came out in 1930, there was the Standard (Mod. A), Master (Model "B")and Custom (Mod. C). The A had a 118" w.b. and an 85 h.p. engine(247 c.i.d.), the B had a 125" w.b. and a 115 h.p. engine(322 c.i.d.), and the C had a 138" w.b. and a 120 h.p. engine(322 c.i.d.). Then a 4th line came out a few months later, a Weymann body option*. At some point in 1931, I believe a distinction from a Master 8 to a Deluxe Master 8 came in; not sure of all the differences, but I think the upgrade got you a 4-speed, chrome plated trim rings around the dual sidemounts, and a chromium "Peerless" script on the rad shell. An example of the price spread would be $2,045/$2,370 [Master/Deluxe Master] for a 5-P Brougham, according to the Lichtfeld book. The Continental 322 13K engines have Schebler carburetors; single for the 115 h.p. version, duplex for the 120 h.p. version, so I've been told.

I also came across something written about Peerless claiming that when the end of car-building was at hand, though no cars were built in 1932, the ones completed after a certain date were declared 1932s and Master 8s became Deluxe Master 8s. There could have been some blurring of the lines re: wheelbases, engines, trim, etc. depending on what parts were still available. Though most writers say the last Peerless built was the well-known V-16 Prototype that sits in the Crawford Museum, I happen to think it was the 1932 Custom Eight built for the Cleveland Chief of Police. Finished November, 1932. Technically, this would have had body plate number 70,555.**

There are no records anywhere about how many Custom 8 Limousines, Deluxe Master 8 Cabriolets, etc. were built. I do know that a '31 Master Eight Sport Coupe in brilliant original condition showed up at the 2012 CCCA CAR-a-van and did the 1,200-mile tour out of Portland. One long-time participant in the tours said he had driven in 32 CAR-a-vans and this was the first Peerless he'd seen on one. Maybe the attraction of cars like these two for sale is that, after major restoration efforts, you could go on a tour and not "see yourself coming around the corner", as they say. I got to see the '31 Coupe at the Gathering at Gilmore last year and it is impressive.

Hope this is of some help. ----Jeff

*I've never seen prices on those, but came across a comment by an owner that sticker price was $5,000. Weymann was one of at least 38 42 companies that put bodies on Peerless chassis'.

**The car does not survive, but I found it's serial number plate for sale on ebay last year and a Peerless Custom Eight owner now has it.

Sure. I wouldn't be surprised if a few dozen Peerless Weymanns were built. A Mr. C. L. Bartshe of Cleveland owned one(have a picture), and there's a picture of another one on page 1165 of the 1996 Standard Catalog, captioned "1931 Peerless Eight, limousine, Weymann, HAC."

Peerless produced four different models with a full range of bodies in 1930 that ranged in price from $1495 to $3045. Total production 4,010

In 1931 models and prices were the same as 1930 --Production stopped June 30, 1931 with 850 cars built.

In October 1931 several cars were assembled from parts in inventory and sold as 1932 models at reduced prices, Deluxe 8--$1,195 & Standard 8--$1,095, some of these would be a mix and match of parts. Peerless continued maintaining a parts inventory for Peerless cars already built.

The factory closed Nov. 7, 1931 and converted into a brewery.

Thank you for the excellent photo. The same one that's in The Standard Catalog of American Cars. Several people have copies of this factory photo for sale, even the AACA Library. I gather that if this car were still around and for sale, you'd buy it?

That's a good question you asked about how many Weymann Peerlesses were built. If the stolen Peerless archives ever re-appear we could find out, I think. I'm curious about the other coachbuilders [44 that I know of] and how many of each were built. The good news is, if you like the car, there are a couple dozen Thirties Straight Eight Peerlesses left out of the 3,777 built[an estimate based on serial numbers assigned].

One showed up at an event not far from you in 2000, the New Gloucester, Maine "Hodgman's Frozen Custard Knucklebusters Car Club Show". It was a '32 Peerless Custom Eight Cabriolet w/ a Fisher or Fleetwood body. Maroon (or Purple) & Ivory car, took 1st!. All the other 27 to 33 survivors have Hayes bodies, I believe.

Edited by jeff_a
Updated source of bodies 3/21/18. (see edit history)

alsancle and truckmen,

Here's a picture of a 1931 Peerless Deluxe Master Eight, one of which is advertised for sale a few posts above in unrestored condition. One gets a 115 HP straight eight of 322 cubic inches, and a four-speed transmission with this model. By an odd coincidence, a model identical to the one for sale was given a thorough Drive Report by Special Interest Autos*, the predecessor to Hemmings Classic Car. If one felt the Continental engine to be too powerful, a buyer that year could have bought a Cadillac V-8 with about 95 HP, or a Mercedes-Benz 370 S Mannheim with about 75 HP.

Now we have pictures of both Peerless models for sale in Texas. Of course, they have coachwork by Hayes -- not Weymann as in the first photo.

---- Jeff

* "1932 Peerless Eight: Last of the Line", by Arch Brown, April, 1984, pp 36-43.

post-49853-143142683231_thumb.jpg.

• 3 weeks later...

post-49853-143142717464_thumb.jpg

&&& Peerless Has Sold &&&

I just got a call telling me that Dennis Mercer passed away about a year ago. He was a Peerless Motor Car Club member and was looking for information on his 1929 Peerless Model Six-81, in an ad in The Peerless Co-Operator magazine. Dennis was a doctor in Alberta, Canada. The person dispersing his car collection for the family tells me that the Peerless is for sale for $7,500. The Peerless is what I call an Opera Coupe, though some call this a 4-Passenger Victoria{Peerless company term} or a Doctor's Coupe{Dr. Mercer's preference}. In an opera coupe, you have two little seats in front...and behind them...a bench seat for 2 plus a padded compartment for your top hat. Two doors, of course.

By coincidence, the video someone made before Dennis Mercer bought the car in 2011 is still online. Easy to view by going to: www.youtube.com and looking for "1929 Peerless Six-81". This video was put together by the last owner 3 or 4 years ago. I looked today & it was the first one that came up when I typed-in "1929 Peerless". It's 4 minutes long and shows the car running and driving.

If interested, contact Rick Pikulski at the following email address and phone number in Canada: carsgoneby@telus.net or #(403) 534-2222. Rick runs a restoration business in Mossleigh, Alberta.

In the future, a number of Dr. Mercer's other cars will be put up for sale. None are in showroom condition, most are in "as-bought condition". Some run, some do not. Some are apart. No doubt the owner planned to wait until retirement before restoration.

Though I have never seen pictures of the other cars, the '29 Peerless sounds like it may have been the closest thing to a restored one in the bunch. I believe it was "85% restored", "a 1980s restoration", or something along those lines as I try to recall its description from 3 years ago. I do remember that the '29 Peerless was in California from when it was new 'till 2011.

Please remember these are not mine, I have never seen them, and that talking to Rick Pikulski will be more accurate than relying on my notes. The other vehicles:

• 2 trucks
  • 1929 Nash Roadster
  • 1930 Willys-Knight 4-Dr, blue original paint
  • 19_ _ Ford "A" Roadster P/U
  • 1939 Chevrolet Sedan, driver
  • 1929 Marmon, white
  • 1930 Hudson
  • 1929 Studebaker 4-Dr, Big Eight
  • 1924 Gray-Dort Touring
  • 1931 Pierce-Arrow 4-Dr, condition #5
  • 1928 or 29 Pontiac 2-Dr Sedan
  • 1929 4-Dr Franklin, original
  • 1930 Packard 4-Dr Convertible(not sure of condition or body style)
  • 1916 McLaughlin-Buick Touring
  • 1940 LaSalle 4-Dr

...The 1929 Peerless is on kijiji (similar to Craigslist but Canadian) already. Type in "kijiji 1929 peerless" on Google websearch and you should be able to go right to the ad and see 15 recent pictures, including an extremely well-appointed interior:

post-49853-143142717459_thumb.jpg

......If you've never seen an Opera Coupe, this car has a small rear deck behind the passenger compartment with a built-in trunk, and a rear-mounted spare, not a rumble seat. The angle of the first photo gives the illusion it's a Sedan. As desribed in the Bonhams Auction Catalogue description for the concurrently available 1922 V-8 Peerless Opera Coupe,these cars were originally intended to be chauffeur-driven. **

.........This 1929 Peerless Six-81 has just sold! 10/20/14***

Edited by jeff_a
I added a couple of photos & correctd spelling of town Peerless is in. (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Brando & Joanne

1929 Peerless Model Six-81 Sedan FOR SALE! We will have it in the car corral at Hershey Swap Meet this week. Call today if interested!

Continental Model 18C Straight 6 Engine, 66hp, 248.3 cubic inch engine. Front windshield cranks out for air flow. 4 door, 5 passenger, 116” wheel base, rear spare wheel, steel disc wheels, vertical hood louvers. NEW: Paint, Whitewall Tires, Chrome, Detailed engine compartment, NOS oil filter, Bud Vase, Window Curtains. Exclusively created for this car- a custom framed pastel and Peerless Logo Embroidered Blanket.

Peerless Lockheed Hydraulic Four-Wheel Brakes, overhauled and original to car! Older restoration as original, including mohair upholstery. This car is in excellent mechanical condition. A great touring car with the famous Peerless "silence and comfort" ride. Own the rarest of the famous “3 P’s- Packard, Pierce Arrow & Peerless” Looks and Runs Great! Ready to Tour and Show!

asking $47,000post-60295-143142766085_thumb.jpg

Pistorius Collectible Autos

Antique & Classic Car Sales and Restoration Services

Brando Pistorius (813)917-9205 Tampa, Florida USA www.OldWheel.com

post-60295-143142765977_thumb.png

post-60295-143142765977_thumb.png

post-60295-143142766085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brando & Joanne
more info (see edit history)

Guest Brando & Joanne

SOLD! New Home in Tampa, Florida

"Chairman's Award" at Lake Mirror Classic, Lakeland, FL Oct. 18, 2014!

1929 Peerless Model Six-81 Continental Model 18C Straight 6 Engine, 66hp, 248.3 cubic inch engine. Front windshield cranks out for air flow. 4 door, 5 passenger, 116” wheel base, rear spare wheel, steel disc wheels, vertical hood louvers. NEW: Paint, Whitewall Tires, Chrome, Detailed engine compartment, NOS oil filter, Bud Vase, Window Curtains. Exclusively created for this car- a custom framed pastel and Peerless Logo Embroidered Blanket. Peerless Lockheed Hydraulic Four-Wheel Brakes, overhauled and original to car! Restored as original, including mohair upholstery. This car is in excellent mechanical condition. A great touring car with the famous Peerless "silence and comfort" ride. Own the rarest of the famous “3 P’s- Packard, Pierce Arrow & Peerless” Looks and Runs Great! Ready to Tour and Show!

asking $39,700 for more photos http://www.oldwheel.com/sales.html

post-60295-143142790451_thumb.jpg

sold (see edit history)

An outstanding 1922 Peerless model 56 Opera Coupe is for sale at the October 6th Bonhams Auction in Philadelphia. Thank you Dandy Dave, Peerless mechanic, for the tip...........................or I would have NEVER known it was for sale.

----Jeff

This blue Peerless sold for $28,600. Quite a purchase of this dual-exhaust, four-barrel-carburetor V-8 motor car in good condition. These Opera Coupes cost $3,500 new -- last year for the Model 56. Dave Griffey from Kokomo was telling me on the phone about his...later went to the Dexter Dotson Collection in Pound, VA...and he and former owner of this car Art Loeb said they are 7 feet, 4 inches tall. Not like modern luxury cars, which tend to be rather low to the ground: these 1922 Peerless Opera Coupes are quite imposing.

These excellent photographs are among the 18 on the Bonhams online catalog:

post-49853-143142802129_thumb.jpg

Photo credits: Bonhams/Sean Smith

Copyright 2014 Bonhams & Butterfields Auctioneers Corp.

We'd love to hear from the new owner if he or she happens to read this. Thank you.

----Jeff

post-49853-143142801936_thumb.png

post-49853-143142801942_thumb.png

post-49853-143142802125_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeff_a
Added 4 photos. (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

If someone over "Virginia way" is interested in a Twenties Peerless, I just got a phone call from Greg Auman yesterday, who has a 1926 Peerless Model Six-80 Sedan. He needs to sell it for health and finance reasons. I think eventually he'll write-in himself and market the car here on the Peerless Forum....but I'm giving y'all insider info.

The car is not a trailer queen and will not be high-dollar. Has been in the family a long time. Greg's dad had it in storage for 50 years in California before he got it about 5 years ago. Car is complete, even has a Peerless Motometer. Needs new tires and paint.

Not too many other Peerless cars in Virginia, just a 1915 and a 1929 that I know of. First year for the 6-80. These Peerless 6-80s cost a little less than the 6-72s and 8-69s of the same year, but were still triple the cost of a Chevrolet...aaaannnd Louis Chevrolet himself owned a 6-80 Sedan just like this one! For 1926, this car cost $1,600, 6-72 Sedans $2,300 and 8-69 Sedans $3,500. Contact Greg at:

Address: Barboursville, Virginia

Email: greg.auman@hilti.com

PH: (434) 242-6585 or (918) 857-3284

• 3 weeks later...

With the passing of Peerless Motor Car Club member David Baird two months ago, the family has put three of his fine automobiles on the market:

• 1909 Peerless Mod. "19" Roi des Belges, one of 3 1909s in the world
  • 1911 Auburn Mod. "N" 40 h.p. Touring, 1 of 3
  • 1917 Pierce-Arrow Mod. "48 B-4" Touring, George M. Cohan's car

Please go to the HCCA Classifieds, viewable on the Horseless Carriages Forum here if interested(go to the HCCA link at the top of that forums page, then go to the "Classified Ads'', "Cars For Sale" areas & scroll down).

Note: the Auburn, Peerless & Pierce-Arrow have sold.

• 1 month later...

I just received word that another brass era Peerless is up for sale. A white or light grey car with a polished copper speedster tank and a monocle windshield will be at the March 12th, 2015 Bonhams Amelia Island Auction in Florida. It's described as the "ex-Craven Collection 1912 Peerless Model 60 Runabout". There are postcards for sale on ebay sometimes that show the car as part of the Craven Foundation Collection,Toronto, Canada in 1974.

The enigma here is that it looks remarkably like the six-cylinder, eleven-liter, 1911 Model 32 raceabout in the Dutch National Motor Museum. The latter automobile is pictured on pp 88-89 of the Peerless resource from 1973: Automobile Quarterly, "The Peerless Story"*+. A few years before then, it was in the Truman Fisher Collection. After that, a Keith L. Nelson of Salt Lake City may have been the owner.

One of the 20 best Peerlesses out there, in my opinion. I'll try to find a photo of the car

somewhere.

* Volume 11, Number 1, 32-page chapter with great photos.

+ If you have a Peerless car, you need to have this book. I got a copy on eBay 3 months ago for $5.

Link to auction site with photo of Peerless:[url="http://www.bonhams.com

If one is motivated to find a photo, one needs to go to this link, click on "auctions", select the 4th page of results, then select one called: "The Amelia Island Auctions". There will be 8 photos in the left-hand margin, including the Peerless (the only car being driven by someone in a leather coat, aviator's cap & goggles). More photos available if you click on the picture of the car: Bonhams outdid themselves here with 4 dozen! The auction catalog will not be out until about February.

UPDATE: I just got an email from Bonhams that the car may have been mis-identified for years as a 1911 Mod. 32, when in fact it is a 1912 Mod. 60, explaining the difference in years, models, horsepower and displacement.

Edited by jeff_a
Update of 1/7/15 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Evan Ide Of Bonhams tells me that this Peerless has the 825 cubic inch/13.5 liter engine.

UPDATE, 2/25/15: The details of the car are in on the Bonhams site. Auction text about the car is quite flowery and appealing and has some correct information. I do know that the Peerless has had it's current appearance going back to at least 1974. Pre-auction estimate is $250,000 to $350,000. Nice detailed photos, about 60. Car apparently in good running condition.

UPDATE, 3/12/15: The new owner is a notable car collector from St. Louis.

Edited by jeff_a
UPDATE (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

March 15th, 2015, there will be a 1923 Peerless Mod. 66 Touring Phaeton for sale at the OSENAT Hotel Fontainbleau Auction in France. Estimates place it at 35,000 to 45,000 euros. Lot 309 in the online catalog. This appears to be the Four-Passenger version. Photo of this car on "New Peerless Discovered!" thread, post #3. You can go to the auction site pretty easily by entering "Paris Osenat Fontainbleau" on Google and then navigating to the Automobiles de Collections event instead of the Impressionist art auctions. Not a lot of these V-8 dual exhaust Peerless Touring Phaetons from the Cadillac Lookalike Years: there are a total of nineteen 1923 and 1924 Peerlesses (possibly) still around according to KPAIE, one being a Mod. 6-70 and eighteen being Mod. 66. The chain of ownership for this Peerless goes back to Ralph Cartonio of Maine. In 1993 it was for sale at the Hershey Car Corral. Then it went to a doctor in Germany, followed by owners in Barcelona, Brussels and Paris.

post-49853-14314299766_thumb.jpg

There will be 50+ cars at the sale, including an unusual 1932 English Ford with French coachbuilt Sical body. Many thank yous to Mr. Mordant of Belgian, Europe's pre-eminent Peerless collector, for the photograph and finding the auction notice.

UPDATE: Sold for 37,200 euros/$39,428

Edited by jeff_a
Sale price. (see edit history)

Evan Ide Of Bonhams tells me that this Peerless has the 825 cubic inch/13.5 liter engine.

UPDATE, 2/25/15: The details of the car are in on the Bonhams site. Auction text about the car is quite flowery and appealing and has some correct information. I do know that the Peerless has had it's current appearance going back to at least 1974. Pre-auction estimate of $250-350K. Nice detailed photos, about 60. Car apparently in good running condition.

In 1912 Peerless had three models with the six cylinder engine:

Model 35-H 38.5 HP 125" wb $4,000 to $5,200

Model 36-K 48.6 HP 137" wb $5,000 to $6,200

Model 37-L 60 HP 140" wb $6,000 to $7,200

touring----roadster----Limousine---landoulet

Guest Brando & Joanne

SOLD! New home will be Nassau, Bahamas

FOR SALE- 1926 Sedan, Model Six-80

Believed to be a ONE OF POSSIBLY 2 KNOWN IN EXISTENCE. 2 door Sedan Model 6-80, 5 passenger, Continental Straight 6 Engine. Front windshield cranks up for air flow. 63hp, 230.2 cubic inch engine, 116” wheel base, rear spare wheel, wood artillery wheels, and luggage shelf at rear, mohair upholstery. New Peerless Logo embroidered blanket will come included. Peerless Lockheed Hydraulic Four-Wheel Brakes, original to car!

New paint, new tires, new trunk, new nickel, new window curtains, new radiator, lots of extras.

This car is just getting the finishing touches with its restoration and has not yet seen its first show, but we guarantee an award winner!

asking $47,000

[ATTACH=CONFIG]298628[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298629[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298630[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298631[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298632[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298633[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298634[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298635[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298636[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298637[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298638[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298639[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298640[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298641[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298642[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298643[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298644[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298645[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298646[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298647[/ATTACH] More photos on our website!

Brando Pistorius (813)917-9205

Tampa, Florida USA www.OldWheel.com

sold (see edit history)

Guest Brando & Joanne

BUY HER WHILE YOU STILL CAN, THIS IS THE LAST IN OUR BARN FIND COLLECTION!

post-60295-143143007815_thumb.jpg

FOR SALE- 1930 Peerless 4 door Sedan- Believed to be a ONE OF 8, A RARE AACA CLASSIC 4 door Sedan, 5 passenger. Continental Inline 8 Engine. Front windshield cranks out for air flow. 85hp, 246.7 cubic inch engine, 118” wheel base, radiator shutter, 2 side mount wheels, artillery wheels, and luggage shelf at rear with trunk. Other accessories and restorations to come! ALL INSTRUMENTATION IS WORKING! Drove up Pikes Peak, Colorado, in 2001. Vin #10055 Body Builder: Hays. Body #31, Model 122, Type 122, Series A, Engine # 17S-1074.

6 new tires and painted rims. It has been fully serviced mechanically so it is in excellent running condition. The cosmetics have not been restored at this time. The upholstery in it now is original mohair and has window curtains. One could keep it as is and still enjoy driving it, but if you were interested in it looking show quality, it will need new paint, carpet and upholstery. This is something you could contract us to do with your own controls over color, style and budget. Otherwise, we will eventually take time with it if it does not sell quickly as is, and we will determine the color and styles and of course the appropriate markup thereafter.

Asking $34,000

• Peerless outsold Packard in 1920
  • They were one of the most expensive luxury cars of the era. The top three in price and status where called the three P’s:

Packard, Pierce Arrow and Peerless.

• Peerless Motor Cars (Cleveland, Ohio 1900-1931) was the first company to adopt what would become the standard of automobile design, a front mounted engine driving the rear wheels through a solid drive shaft.
  • Barney Oldfield shattered world speed records with the Peerless “Green Dragon”
  • Many collectors believe the Peerless motorcars to be some of the finest automobiles built in the USA in the 1920’s renowned for their high performance and stylish luxury. However, Peerless is the rarest and hardest to find of the “three P’s” as it ceased production in 1932.
  • In 1933, ownership and management of Peerless organized the Carling Brewing Co. USA, just after Congress repealed Prohibition, and began production of the famous Carling Black Label Beer in the old Peerless factory.

Other Peerless “Firsts”

- Peerless was the first company to successfully use a flyball governor to maintain speeds.

- They set a 1,000-mile endurance record and the fastest time ever in the Mt. Washington hill climb in New Hampshire.

- Peerless was the first to use of aluminum in their side-entrance tonneau along with being the first closed formal body in American production.

- Peerless was one of the first companies to use electric lighting. They used a Gray & Davis system as early as 1910 and then upgrading in 1913 to a single voltage Gray & Davis system which now included an electric starter.

post-60295-143143007598_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007623_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007645_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007666_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007688_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007711_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007734_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007758_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007783_thumb.jpg

post-60295-143143007805_thumb.jpg

add photos (see edit history)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]298707[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298708[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298709[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298710[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298711[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298712[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298713[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298714[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298715[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298716[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]298717[/ATTACH]

FOR SALE- 1930 Peerless 4 door Sedan- Believed to be a ONE OF 8, A RARE AACA CLASSIC 4 door Sedan, 5 passenger. Continental Inline 8 Engine. Front windshield cranks out for air flow. 85hp, 246.7 cubic inch engine, 118” wheel base, radiator shutter, 2 side mount wheels, artillery wheels, and luggage shelf at rear with trunk. Other accessories and restorations to come! ALL INSTRUMENTATION IS WORKING! Drove up Pikes Peak, Colorado, in 2001. Vin #10055 Body Builder: Hays. Body #31, Model 122, Type 122, Series A, Engine # 17S-1074.

6 new tires and painted rims. It has been fully serviced mechanically so it is in excellent running condition. The cosmetics have not been restored at this time. The upholstery in it now is original mohair and has window curtains. One could keep it as is and still enjoy driving it, but if you were interested in it looking show quality, it will need new paint, carpet and upholstery. This is something you could contract us to do with your own controls over color, style and budget. Otherwise, we will eventually take time with it if it does not sell quickly as is, and we will determine the color and styles and of course the appropriate markup thereafter.

Asking $34,000

• Peerless outsold Packard in 1920
  • They were one of the most expensive luxury cars of the era. The top three in price and status where called the three P’s:

Packard, Pierce Arrow and Peerless.

• Peerless Motor Cars (Cleveland, Ohio 1900-1931) was the first company to adopt what would become the standard of automobile design, a front mounted engine driving the rear wheels through a solid drive shaft.
  • Barney Oldfield shattered world speed records with the Peerless “Green Dragon”
  • Many collectors believe the Peerless motorcars to be some of the finest automobiles built in the USA in the 1920’s renowned for their high performance and stylish luxury. However, Peerless is the rarest and hardest to find of the “three P’s” as it ceased production in 1932.
  • In 1933, ownership and management of Peerless organized the Carling Brewing Co. USA, just after Congress repealed Prohibition, and began production of the famous Carling Black Label Beer in the old Peerless factory.

Other Peerless “Firsts”

- Peerless was the first company to successfully use a flyball governor to maintain speeds.

- They set a 1,000-mile endurance record and the fastest time ever in the Mt. Washington hill climb in New Hampshire.

- Peerless was the first to use of aluminum in their side-entrance tonneau along with being the first closed formal body in American production.

- Peerless was one of the first companies to use electric lighting. They used a Gray & Davis system as early as 1910 and then upgrading in 1913 to a single voltage Gray & Davis system which now included an electric starter.

I hope we will be able to see one the these beautiful Peerless cars in Cleveland in June!!

Peerless meet-----June 12-13 &14, 2015

Guest Brando & Joanne

Possibly... wouldn't it be great if we could deliver one to a new owner in Cleveland...she would be home again!

A 1910 Peerless Model 27 Touring Car is listed for sale on www.ClassicCars.com . There are 5 or 10 pictures of what looks like a very nice car. The Peerless will be at the Mecum Auction in Houston April 9-11.

Update: This will be one of the 15 cars from the Tom Goodlett Estate offered at the Mecum Auction. Other cars from this Texas collection include an "ought-six" Packard Model S, a 1932 Duesenberg Phaeton(J-463), a 1937 Cord SC 812 Westchester Sedan and a 1940 Lincoln Convertible.

Photo here soon of this important Peerless, from among the 12 pictures currently on the auction site.

post-49853-143143020515_thumb.jpg

Photography courtesy of Mecum Auctions

The online auction catalog is up now. Oddly, they list Peerless as getting their start building sewing machines(that was White) and the company founding date as 1902(only 37 years off on that one). The rest of the text was pretty good.

Update: This Peeress sold for $275,000 over the weekend.

post-49853-143143020514_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
In case you haven't read it in the Peerless Research Findings thread or recent ebay listings, there are 2 1932 Peerlesses for sale with an interesting story. They were originally collected by Roscoe Stelford of Pingree Grove, IL who had one of three big oldtime Peerless collections {Harrah's, Stelford's and Dotson's}. I guess his place in rural northern Illinois was legendary for what you could find there. Richard Lichtfeld was driving around in a 1916 Peerless V-8 in the 1950's and someone directed him to Stelford's place for a spare part, which he had. I heard about someone else who found what he described as "The Cord Prototype" there and added it to his collection. Most of the old cars were purchased 25 to 50 years earlier when just used cars.

When Mr. Stelford died about 25 years ago there were still 13 Peerless left. A Mr. Chisolm and a Mr. Backer bought a number of these and took them to Fulton, MO. A museum called Auto World started there and these cars were in storage but not on display or even on the museum's website where they list their cars. Somehow, Peter Krell, the owner of Pete's Classic Cars, knew about them, was able to buy the cars, and put them up for sale at his business in the Dallas area.

Both are truly among the last-of-the-line offerings of the luxury carmaker Peerless. One is a 1932 Peerless Deluxe Master Eight Five Passenger Sedan, price $9,995. One is a 1932 Peerless Custom Eight, which was usually called a Five Passenger Brougham, but can also be called a 5-Passenger Sedan, price $19,500. Both need total restoration. The Custom is in better shape than the Deluxe Master Eight. The good news is that the seller has provided lots of detailed color photos of both Peerlesses on his business website: www.petesclassiccars.com.

The last hurrah for Peerless luxury cars, the Alexis de Sakhnoffsky-designed straight eight cars, were sold in 1930, 1931, and 1932. My count of existing Peerless Eights from those years shows 32, 4 of them questionable. 2,003 Standard Eights were built, 1,219 Master and Deluxe Master Eights, and 555 Custom Eights. Peerless built about 107,000 cars overall, averaging 3,800 a year from 1900-1931.

These 2 cars had disappeared. I'm glad Mr. Krell found them and grateful that he's shared so much information with us.

I just heard from Peter Krell. Both of these 1932 Peerless straight-eight sedans have sold to overseas buyers. I hope we hear more!

----Jeff

• 1 month later...

In case you're not too familiar with the Peerless Forum, you might like to check post #69 on this thread(on 3rd page of results), which lists 60 Peerlesses that have been for sale in the last 5 years. That puts to rest the fiction that Peerless cars rarely come up for sale. 25 out of 60 have sold already.

• 1 month later...

David Baird's 1909 Peerless Model 19 Roi des Belges, the well-publicized unrestored "barn find" 7-Passenger Touring Car, will be offered for sale at the Auctions America Santa Monica event in California July 17/18.

I had the privilege of accompanying David and this Peerless to antique car shows in three states and can speak for it's originality and ability to draw a crowd. Only three 1909 Peerlesses still exist, America's most expensive motor car of that year. Pre-sale estimates are $200,000-250,000.

* * _  _  _  _                                                                                                       _  _  _  _  * *

CORRECTION: The Auctions America on line catalog has the ad copy complete for the car now, with several photographs...and the dates are July 17/18, not 18/19 as I originally said..

The latest Hemmings Motor News (AUG, 2015 -- pg 505) has the 1909 Peerless listed for sale at the Santa Monica, CA auction run by Auctions America --- July 17th and 18th. Online catalog is up, and it looks like they will have a large number of cars for sale.

Both of the motor cars David Baird displayed at the 2013 Hershey Meet for 4 days will be available at this auction: his Peerless and his 1917 Model 48B Pierce-Arrow 4-Passenger Touring Car (also on page 505 of the August issue).