1941 Ford 1 1/2 Ton Panel Truck

Guest Michael Patris

Guest Michael Patris

Hello,

Our non-profit organization recently received a Ford 1 1/2 ton dually panel truck as a donation. It has rusty floors and some other rust, an older 1950's Ford V-8 engine which is seized, two front seats and what I believe to be a 134" wheelbase. It is missing the radiator, one each of the rear wheels, the spare tire, the grille is bent in an may or not be fixable, etc.

Surely these trucks are not common, but we wonder what is the best course of action for it. We would love to keep the truck for advertising and we do have the room for indoor parking once it is done, but at what expense?

Some have suggested a resto-rod with a modern chassis and drivetrain to make it driveable and others have said search out the parts and keep it stock... with a top speed of 35 mph?

Has anyone done one of these trucks, does anyone have any spare parts or suggestions for a course of action?

Thanks, Michael

mpatris@pacbell.net

post-69923-143138781019_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest NeilE

I live in Ontario and owned a similar truck about 40 years ago (I was a member of the Antique and Classic Car Club of Canada at the time). I sold it due to no storage. I have been searching for the truck for a few years without success. It did not have dual wheels on the rear, but was very similar in other respects. The truck was rated as a 1 ton. In an earlier life it had been a service truck for the St Johns (NL?) Fire Dept. It was still painted red with a siren on top when I purchased it in about 1971.

Here is a picture of the truck after a repaint.

41ford.jpg

Once I had the truck on the road, an older gentleman approached me and said he rememebered the truck. It had also served as a sort of touring ambulance on the roads of Ontario. He said there were three such trucks travelling the roads of Ontario staffed by medical students, dispensing first aid when needed. I have no way to verify his claim, but it was an interesting story.

By the way, my truck seemd to be extramely rare as, from the cab back truck had a metal skin over wood frame. I removed the head liner in the back and sanded and varnished the wood ceiling. Stunning.

Let me know if you are interested in a picture of the truck as it was when I purchased it and I will see if I can locate it.

Neil

Edited by NeilE
note regardign wood frame (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like a paddy wagon used by city jails and prisons, an armored car? or a ambulance for civilian or miltary use. I wonder if it would have been used in WW2? Is it 4 wheel drive? You don't see alot of panel delivery trucks, especially one this old, and it being a'41 and of the 1 1/2 ton variety. I think it's a rare truck, I would restore it.

Michael - any chance that you could post more pictures? Looking in the back doors, passenger side view, rear view with doors closed, engine, etc. More photos will get you more information. My first instinct is that is was not a military used vehicle as the chromed bumpers and other chrome would have been replaced/painted. If you decide that it's not possible to restore, will you be accepting offers for this truck?

Thanks for the neat old truck project possibilities,

Chuck

• 11 months later...
Guest leo tomaiolo

michael what did you ever do with this truck? i'm curently restoring a1941 3ton ford rack body . i find your truck very interesting would like to know more.

Guest Michael Patris
michael what did you ever do with this truck? i'm curently restoring a1941 3ton ford rack body . i find your truck very interesting would like to know more.

Thanks so much for the contact. Just this past week we had our truck taken to a shop to begin evaluation. It appears the truck is a one ton with a 134" wheelbase and one of only approximately 600 vehicles produced. We have some additional info which suggests it was a former parts truck for what was then called Harlan Loud Ford in Pasadena. It was gray and has such low miles the mechanic believes the rear brake pads are the original ones to the truck and none of the brake drums have ever been turned. We do plan on getting this truck running and have accumulated what we believe to be most of the parts we need for the job. We will let you know when we have made some significant progress and in the meantime would love to see your truck if you have any images of it. Best wishes, Michael

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Michael Patris

Very cool truck you have there. Are you going to keep it original or modify it? Yes, these larger trucks often got scrapped. We are lucky to have some to preserve. Best wishes, Michael

Very cool truck you have there. Are you going to keep it original or modify it? Yes, these larger trucks often got scrapped. We are lucky to have some to preserve. Best wishes, Michael
Its up for sale. We have about 20 heavy trucks. All Dodges from 20s to the 40s.post-78906-143141902196_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141902118_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141902128_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141902136_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141902144_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141902152_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141902161_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314190217_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141902178_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143141902186_thumb.jpg

Guest leo tomaiolo

i'm glad to hear that you are pursuing this project. hopefully you are looking to keepthis truck original. i'v owened my truck since 1997 and have put many miles on it. it has a 59ab engine and still 6 volt with a 158" wheel base its a big truck so worth it. i just recently (2years ago)purchased a marmon -herrington all wheel drive running gear and started this project. i'v got my truck down to the bare frame and really to go through it. i just got a fancy new phone as soon as i figure out how to send pict's i'll post some till then happy wrenchin. ps that panel delivery would be awsome marmon conversion truck.