Comments on this FS 64

Guest BJM

Old Cars, Muscle Cars, Classic Cars, Sports Cars, Mopars For Sale, and More! :: AutaBuy.com

Hope you can open it. Motion Unlimited has a black and silver 64 Riviera project vehicle they are asking $1500.

Did the 64's come with optional leather interior?

Did they come with silver cloth/vinyl interior?

Do they really offer back windows new or is that just hyperbole' on the part of Motion Unlimited?

What do you guys think of this car in maybe in the $1100 offer range?

Interior code 602 was silver vinyl. Of the first generation Rivieras, only the '63 had the leather interior option.

As far as a "new" rear glass goes, I'd get that in writing from the seller - I've heard of windshileds, but not rear glass. But, there are tons of parts cars out there.

The seller will have fun finding wheels that will fit over the '64's large hub. Make sure that he has something mounted BEFORE you go pick it up.

Even if it's with a big bar on the crank pulley, make sure the engine turns over. Missing pulleys shouldn't be a reason not to try and turn it over; you probably wouldn't want to run it too long, but at least see if it turns over.

It would be nice to know if it has the custom interior and what other options it's equipped with.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Not such a fan of silver vinyl but Silver vinyl bolsters with silver cloth would be awesome. I tried to navigate Clarks for colors availability but couldn't find it.

Did Buick offer silver cloth and vinyl seating in 1964?

Silver was never offered as a vinyl/cloth combo. Two silvers in '63, one leather and the other vinyl. Vinyl only in '64 (no leather options in '64 or '65.)

You guys who are not yet members of the Riviera Owners Association need to join. ALl of this information is available on their website. Instantaneous gratification.

Ed

You guys who are not yet members of the Riviera Owners Association need to join. ALl of this information is available on their website. Instantaneous gratification.

Ed

Ed

I know I know. OK, tonight I'm going in and becoming a member-promise. It's inevitable I'll get another Riviera, owned 4 previously - already.

Great example of a car that should NOT be a candidate for restoration. I couldn't see one good aspect about it. Its a $500 parts car.

X2!!!!!!!!!!! You'll go broke putting that POS back on the road. Spend $3000 and get a better car to start with.

Guest Kinmann

This is a parts car.... Easy math! How much could you get parting it out vs. how much is it worth selling whole! I didn't see too much that made it worth while of bringing home.

There are a lot of great candidates that would make great projects at a fair 2-5k price.

If I could upload pics, I'd show you a complete car that I brought home for $2200 and drove it home! Be patient, continue educating yourself if there's stuff you want/need to know!

Good luck.... Thanks for sharing!

OK Riviera People: That black car is what I call a "Shelf Car". It's not worth putting together today but in soon enough time it probably will be. $500. is about right. If one is looking for a West Coast/dry car there are several problems with these West Coast/dry (climate) cars. Here are some.......

They are seldom for sale at market price. Tons for sale by flippers and dealers who want much more than market, many sellers (most???) who couldn't care less about dropping their price and selling. If the cheepies come up for sale the parts hustlers are on it right away and usually break them up.

If you were to purchase the West Coast/dry car you would really need to personally inspect it before the purchase. This adds a lot to the price and.....if you do get it, transportation is added because it doesn't drive itself for free.

Finally, just because a car is a West Coast/dry car doesn't mean it isn't rusted where it can't be seen as well as the fact that no matter where a car comes from mechanical work ain't cheep.

So, this black Riv looks very tempting cause it's cheep, but it really isn't. Remember, no dents doesn't mean there there isn't hours and hours of block sanding dings as well as reworking old bodywork, media blasting requires a real striperoo of every thing. The inside is described as needing re-done. Chi-ching chi-ching.

Been there, done that, still doing it and I still fall for the tease (because my brain isn't 100%). Mitch

"99.9% rust free car"

Uh-huh...

593948_277577777_Original.jpg

Except for the 50% that's rusty. Front fender rusted through. It looks like a re-paint with questionable bodywork underneath. And the driver's fender is ripped!

Should be well below $1k, but like most collector cars, the name make the price high. Kinda sad. More would be restored if POS cars sold at POS prices. Bet they probably looked at the Old Car Guide and saw a condition 5 car was worth $2k. Who writes the Old Car Guide, anyway? State licensing bureaus? That's where WA state gets vehicle values and uses that instead of what you paid for tax valuation.

OK, sorry for the rant. Good luck with the search. Keep looking and you'll find one. I searched for a few years and finally found 3 '65s that I now own. Runners are out there and for around $2k - way cheaper than starting with a rebuild ($2-5k depending on how crazy you go).

Guest Kingoftheroad

I'm inclined to agree with everybody, car has alot of rust. I'm sure you'll find something in your price range, in better condition if you keep looking..