Texan's loose right to use YOM plates unless your car is so registered now

Guest Jim_Edwards

Guest Jim_Edwards

It has just come to my attention that we Texas vintage car enthusiasts have lost the right to use YOM plates as of September 1st of 2011, except those in use now may continue to be used so long as renewed annually. In other words if you have been working your butt off to restore a currently unlicensed 1960 car, and have managed to come up with a decent set of 1960 plates (probably at considerable expense) you will not be able to put them on your car.

Not sure what is up with that, but the board that controls the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles made the ruling in May to be effective September 1st. Of course it has been several decades now since Texas utilized plates with the year embossed into them. If I recall it was around 1970 the Texas went to stickers.

Anyway if you currently have Texas YOM plates on your vehicle do not fail to promptly renew or you will have lost the right to use them.

Jim

Sound like it is time for you Texan's to contact your state representatives and tell them of your dissatisfaction with this decision by the DMV and if they don't get there you know what in gear then maybe it is time to vote them out of office.

Hey I PA I plan to politic to vote them all out of office anyways.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim

Sound like it is time for you Texan's to contact your state representatives and tell them of your dissatisfaction with this decision by the DMV and if they don't get there you know what in gear then maybe it is time to vote them out of office.

Hey I PA I plan to politic to vote them all out of office anyways.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Actually thanks individual Texas House and Senate members the problem has been corrected.

The problem started with a SEMA supported and probably written bill known as H.R. 890 which passed both Congressional Houses in Texas on 24 May, 2011.

http://www.semasan.com/semaga/Bills/Texas.pdf

That passage caused the Transportation Board to alter the licensing criteria for what Texas describes as "Antique" vehicles (any vehicle over 25 yeas in age) in a document entitled "Registration and Title System" "Version 6.7.0" before the end of May, 2011. Page 6 of that document was quite clear and I quote:

"Additionally, old plates issued the same year as the vehicle model year will no longer be approved for Classic registration. Existing Classic registration with old plates may continue as long as the registration is renewed each year."

http://www.txdmv.gov/tac/rts/release_Notes6.7.0.pdf

Further research on my part revealled Texas Bill H.R. 2357 which passed both Houses on or before May 29, 2011. Section 195 of that bill in referring specifically to Section 504 of the Texas Transportation Act specifically nullifies all or portions of H.R. 890 passed just days before without mentioning H.R. 890 and with the specific section of H.R. 2357 going into law the same day that H.R. 890 would have become law.

Bill Text: TX House Bill 2357 - 82nd Legislature Regular Session | eLobbyist

Then came the Department of Motor Vehicles with a bulletin on June 17th that modified The document they published in late May which acknowledges the change back to be the same as things originally were before SEMA jacked around attempting to find a way to register kit cars as "Classics." Though it is somewhat unclear to me at this point whether a "kit" car can now bear license plates proclaiming them to be "Classics."

(don't go looking for the June 17th bulletin as you'll have heck finding it)

Bottom line: SEMA is focused on Street Rodder's interests far more than the interest of those who want to preserve or restore to originality and they almost succeeded in removing the use of YOM plates here in Texas even if by accident, lack of forethought, or legal incompetency.