1929 DeSoto Odds and Ends

Hi All,

First time poster. I have in my garage a tremendous barn find in great condition, never mind having sat buried for 53 years.:)

I am in need of some odds and ends.

Brake fluid reservoir

Light switch body on end of steering column

Windows cranks

Door handles, inside

Running boards

Wood spoke lugs or wedges

Not too much but appreciate any leads.

/Sean

Guest martylum

Sean-you PMed me asking about 29 Desoto photos but you didn't specify the body style?

The light switch is made by Clum and comes up occasionally on E-Bay. The inside window and door handles are very fragile-better bet is to have new castings made in modern material. I believe Verdone Castings has offered new castings of this handle.

the brake fluid reservoir is very similar in size to a modern new pint metal can with brake fluid.

If you don't have any luck finding good used I make new runningboards in 18 GA steel just like the originals. Aluminum trim moldings spot on are available and I have some new rubber which is similar but not identical to the original.

E-mail me for details-Marty@oldercar.com

Marty Lum

1930 Desoto roadster

After Kaiser told me what the switches sell for and how challenging they can be to find I rolled up my sleeves and dove into the trunk that I got with the car. I found my CLUM switch but unfortunately all the connectors were removed. After a trip to the electronic supply house I ended up with this. Hoping it works.

Before and after attached.

I also have an e-mail out to the castings shop, thank you for that lead.

And last night I got a glass Vis-a-brake brake fluid reservoir off an ebay auction.

Thanks again guys. Marty, I looked at your site. Great work! I will e-mail you about running boards.

post-80419-143138768783_thumb.jpg

post-80419-143138768792_thumb.jpg

Edited by seando (see edit history)

Guest willeys41

i can get a lot of those switchs but have different mounting brackets.They have 6 screws but does not look like the one i sent to you Keiser? ?

i can get a lot of those switchs but have different mounting brackets.They have 6 screws but does not look like the one i sent to you Keiser? ?

Here is the one you sent me...it's not a CLUM 9150, but will do the same job.

post-37352-143138770992_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138771003_thumb.jpg

Thanks. Installed my new hoses tonight along with rebuilt master cyl and the "vis-a-brake" fluid reservoir. I can't figure how they used to vent this glass bottle reservoir back in the day.

May take the old girl out for a short spin this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to post an update on my restoration. It is going fantastic. My son and I have posted some video to youtube of us driving her around. I want to do a DeSoto Diary for others who appreciate the restoration art. This is a great Father Son project. In fact I just got my son a 1973 Harley Davidson Golf cart for his own project.

What has made this unbelievably great is that a friend near me has acquired a 1930 Dodge and is hot rodding it. Fortunate for me as I got the headlights, bumpers, and more from him.

This truly is near daily driver status now. I can go to the shop. open the vaccuum pump and start her up and take her out. I am 1 tail light away from an inspection sticker.

/Sean