My Grandfather's 1968 Riviera

Guest jprrbo

Guest my3buicks

Beautiful Riv, do you still own it? Hopefully you do. I couldn't tell if that was a vintage scanned picture or a new pictuer, but the boat in the background appears newer. I own my 67 Buick that my Grandfather bought new and I bought from him in 79 - owning a family car, and owning your first car is a true treat.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Yes, I still have it. The photos were taken in '06. I should have mentioned also that my father bought a new Pinto after he sold me the Riviera. Needless to say that the Pinto is long gone (I think it lasted about two years). I took my driver's license test in this car, drove it to highschool, took my wife-to-be on our first date in it, honeymoon, brought our newborn home from the hospital in it. I have my Grandfather's original paperwork for it. My Grandmother's sunglasses and hairbrush are still in th golve box.

post-81506-143138760229_thumb.jpg

post-81506-143138760268_thumb.jpg

post-81506-143138760282_thumb.jpg

Your signature doesn't indicate if you are a member of the ROA, but if you haven't already, please consider joining the Riviera Owners Association (ROA). You can find out more information about it here...

www.rivowners.org

In each bi-monthly issue of the club's magazine "The Riview," There are several "member's showcase" articles with photos and stories about different members and their cars. You have a great story that should be shared with other Riviera enthusiasts. Not all ROA members frequent these forums (in fact it's a fairly small percentage), so it would be great to see your story published in print for more of us to enjoy. Feel free to PM me (private message) and I can give you more details on how to join and/or submit a member's showcase article for publication in The Riview...

Best,

That car looks to be in excellent condition. The history you have on it is priceless. What a family treasure. Congratulations on owning a great car and welcome to the forum.

Dad replaced the Riv with a Pinto huh. Ouch! I have a feeling it had something to do with gas prices. In 1981 I had to sell a beloved 77-F-250 4x4 and bought a 77 Pinto because I could not afford gas for the truck.

As Al and Jason previously stated, great car - great story.

There is a separate forum for Riviera owners at the bottom of the Buick forums. Hop over there and show all of the other Riviera owners your car and tell them your story as well. Hopefully by this time you've checked out the link to the ROA that Al posted.

Ed