Anti Freeze?

Guest Mark Golding

Guest Mark Golding

Hi I manage Cranker's Collection of Mechanical Marvels here in Pa , We have moved but in the mean time we have a few issuses.

My first question is about Anti freeze, Most of the cars have antifreeze in them but we were wondering if it's a good thing to leave them full, the cars do not run or most of them don't . It is better to store the cars with antifreeze in them or drain them? What's your feeling on this?

The second question is the cars have a coating of wood and other dust on them what is the best way to clean them, I know not to just wipe them off, They are all in the new building, washing them would have been the right way to do them.Washing them inside would be a major project.

If you want to see the new place here's a link I will be adding more pictures later this week.

Cranker's Collection of Mechanical Marvels

Guest Jim_Edwards

If you are talking about the cars pictured in the "new" facility, it doesn't look like you have a major cleaning issue. There are many car care options you might entertain using to remove light dust particles without damaging any paint.

Considering the number of cars in the collection it appears you really need a full time person to maintain them and perhaps even a shop of some sort to get the non running ones back in running order. What would appear to be over a million dollars of value in those cars deserves proper care to preserve the value.

Guest Skyking

I like the Regina music box in the last photo. My father used to restore them. I remember one in particular he had, it was the most beautiful sounding player I've ever heard.

I have used the following method to wash cars indoors. Fill a spray bottle with warm water and a few drops of car wash soap. Spray the car until it is uniformly wet. Wipe off with a wet folded towel. Have a bucket of warm water handy to rinse the towel, turn it frequently to expose a fresh surface, do not rub the dirt in. You may need more than one towel.

If not very dusty you can spray with Pledge furniture polish and wipe with a soft cloth. Today I believe you can buy spray wax special for cars.

This method was recommended by an antique car owner who told me he has kept his cars clean this way for years, with no damage or scratching of the finish.

Guest Skyking

If not very dusty you can spray with Pledge furniture polish and wipe with a soft cloth. Today I believe you can buy spray wax special for cars.

I would be careful using certain waxes on cars due to a possible paint touch-up later if needed. Sometimes certain waxes are very difficult to remove.

Pledge washes off with soap and water. In fact it wears off in a few weeks, even indoors.

I would wax my cars with car wax then go over them from time to time with Pledge to keep them clean. I used to do this on my motorcycle, learned it from the Vincent Owners Club when I owned a Vincent. Keep the bike clean and waxed, wipe it down after each ride, only takes a minute and keeps the bike sparkling clean. Do not let it get grimy or you have to start over and give it a thorough cleaning which takes hours.