More local taxi photos

Juha Paavo Kaita

Guest Casper Friedrich

It's indeed a Scania-Vabis. Probably a Typ II, larger than the more common Typ I. As I understand it the Scania-Vabis passenger cars from about 1913 onwards were based on then already defuncted German Der Dessauer.

The Swedish marque was seldom seen in the neighbouring country. In fact only one owner comes to my mind, shipping magnate Lars Krogius in Helsinki. But there is a connection to P. J. Heikkilä's Finlandia. Isn't is so that one of his creations used components from Krogius' Scania(-Vabis)?

Are you sure it's a taxi after all? Couldn't it be instead taken during one of Lars Krogius' (1860-1935) business trips to Turku? After all, his company merged with local Gustaf Wikeström in the aftermaths of WWI.

Edited by Casper Friedrich (see edit history)

It may well be so that the car is not a taxi but a Scania-vabis belonging to Lars Krogius. It pity that I do not know where the photo game from. Houses background look like houses in Uusikaupunki but the photo may well be taken in Turku, too.

Thank you very much for the good remarks you all have made.

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland

Guest Casper Friedrich

Interestingly, today I found out that a Scania-Vabis in 1922 was the first truck of the company my grandfather worked for. Arabia porcelain factory was originally a subisdary to the Swedish Rörstrand, witch maybe explains the uncommon make. Licensce plate A-769, probably chain-driven. Maybe it was still in use when my grandfather moved to Helsinki in 1931?

Edited by Casper Friedrich (see edit history)