Who is in the "Know" about 58 Buick Wiper Systems?

buick man

I have a question regarding the 1958 Buick wiper system.

In 1957, Buick installed the vacuum pump at the end of the oil pump inside the pan. Just where is it for the 1958's? From the photo of a 58 Buick engine bay as shown below, it appears to look the same as the 57 setup with vacuum lines as well but the windshield washer jar moved over near the master brake cylinder.

I ask this, since I am told the 57 setup was a one year gig only and that 58 did it differently since the "pump n da pan" idea apparently did not work out that well in the long run.

Did Buick go back to the dual vacuum fuel pumps or did they have another way of increasing the needed vacuum to necessary to accommodate the needs of the wide swept Cam-O-Matic wiper system.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

David

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RCollord

What I did on my 58. Throw that 58 oil pump out! It is trash. Get a later model...like a 59. I tried to use a stainless vacuum pump from the "best" maker. It also rests beside the 58 oil pump in the junk pile. Way to noisy...it even blanked out the motor noise. I finally tapped the intake to get great vacuum pressure to run my Newport wiper system. No problem with the new power brakes either.

The problem with tapping into the intake vacuum is that when the engine is under load or at WOT, there is little or NO vacuum. What happens when you need to accelerate to pass when it's raining?

Adam, it appears the Newport system is 12 volt electric. Not endorsing it, just saying, that's all.

........ " well what happens when it's raining and you have to pass?

Well for me I have always liked the way those vacuum wipers slowed things down like a black strobe light out somewhere on the dance floor

Especially during those tense few moments when passing on a two way hi-way, up hill into on-coming traffic while fighting the dark with dim headlights, the wind and smothering rain

It has always made time, well sorta stand still. Kinda for those few brief suffocating moments as your secondaries kicked in on your big Carter, .......Whaaa-Roooom.... and echoing to the tempo of the blood plowing up and through the back of your cold neck

At that moment, the wipers wouldn't really stop and freeze mid-way on the windshield - It only seemed that way as it was the momentum, the momentum

The sensation of free flight and momentum - that is all there is for those brief few moments in time

... and then the final gush and swerve of centrifical force chasing your place back into the right lane before meeting your premature destiny head-on.

© by buickman 2011