What kind of car is this?

cobravii

Guest Jim_Edwards
I must be getting old. It's hard for me to believe that anyone would not know one of the most recognizable cars, of all time, at a glance.

It is a semi custom, the hood has been welded and filled

You know you are getting old when the DMV has classified a car like the one you bought new in 1986 as being "Antique." This also applies to pulling up to a gas pump and having someone ask you what kind of car your 1960 something car is.

I pulled up to the pumps the other day with my '67 Mustang. First the kid fiddled with the pop down filler cap. Then he read the lettering on the trunk lid. Then he made this comment:" I didn't know thay made Mustangs that looked like this." Either it looked new to him or he thought they started making them just a few years ago. Anyway, I had a chuckle. :rolleyes:

Guest Jim_Edwards
The best one is when someone in their sixties asks an owner of a 55 Chevy, " what year is it"...................?

Uh, oh, Senility and Dementia rearing their ugly heads.;)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Lets see, I got my license in 1967, and even if there was money on the table for the correct year ID I can't ID anything built after 1965. Why bother, everything after '65 looked like crap.

That's a bit harsh isn't it? I just bought a '78 Lincoln Continental Town Car and obviously love it's looks because of its classic straight lines somewhat reminiscent of many of the pre WWII luxury cars, and I really love its comfy seats. However, since that era there are sure a lot of cars that have been built one could describe as FUGLY, or maybe at minimum BUTT UGLY.:(

I must be getting old. It's hard for me to believe that anyone would not know one of the most recognizable cars, of all time, at a glance.

It is a semi custom, the hood has been welded and filled

Yep..... your old!

Anything late 50's and newer i am fine with but that older stuff all looks the same to me.

BTW, I was born almost 30 years AFTER this car was built and at that time it was JUST another old car getting scrapped out.

It is kinda cool but not something I would search out.

Yep..... your old!

Anything late 50's and newer i am fine with but that older stuff all looks the same to me.

BTW, I was born almost 30 years AFTER this car was built and at that time it was JUST another old car getting scrapped out.

Eh..no, back in 1970 this car was nothing that would have been scrapped out. It was a very popular car with hot rodders since hot rodding began. The only reason something like this would have scrapped then if there was more rust than good metal or wrecked beyond repair.

Yep..... your old!

First, it's "you're" old

Second, in circa 1970, a 40 Ford was an extremely desirable car and they were not being scrapped out by anyone but an idiot. Perhaps in Canada, things are different than the rest of the world. Here, in 1970, 60s barges, like gas sucking old Buicks, were being scrapped

Guest Bob Call

Back to the original question, it is a 1940 Ford Deluxe coupe. The Standard model had the same grille as the 39 Deluxe. 39 Standard had same grille as the 38 Deluxe and the 38 Standard was similar but not the exact same as the 37.

Guest Foggy norm

Wonder if it was a military vehicle (coupe?), that was located on the island, to use in the museum. Or, one that arrived new before that Day.

What was the name and nature of this museum? Is it an automotive museum, or....?

Thanks!

ken

It was in an aviation museum on Ford island. Ford Island is right smack dab in the middle of Pearl Harbour. It is where all the ships were moored during the attack on Pearl Harbour.

They also had a Jeep and motorcycle over and above all the planes and helicopters.