Vibration 65 Riviera

gmdbhornet

In park and at 2000 RPM, all those components poked, probed, and checked without a set of compression readings. I could be an old timer. A lot of people don;t even get to my age. And.... ummmm, we had a Midas store in town, once.

If a car came into my garage for any kind of service step one would be a cold cooling system pressure test, then all the vacuum devices would be checked with a MyTeeVac, Then a cold compression test. After warming the engine up the tests (except vacuum) would be repeated. Every job needs a baseline starting point. Although the routine can vary under different circumstances diagnostics need a clear procedure.

Engine vibrates, check engine.

Bernie

• 6 months later...
Guest T Bender

The vibration in my '65 occurred between 40-50 MPH. It was very pronounced, and I went through lubricating the "constant velocity" joints, driveshaft rebuilding, new center bearing, phasing the connection on the differential flange, everything I could think of. I had gone through the trouble shooting elimination, always pointed to the drive shaft. I finally eliminated the problem through liberal lubrication, and lots and lots of exercise. These old queens get stiff after a while, and they need to get out regularly, I put on about 60-70 miles a week in 30 or so mile increments. After about a month of this it occurred to me that the vibration was almost completely (95%) gone. The cost (and it is major) is the gas. It is now completely gone, and with the addition of new tires, (the old ones were approaching 10 years), it goes down the road as smooth as silk, like they were when new.

I have a slight vibration at rest in a '64 Wildcat which led me to his posting. After reading all the potential solutions with interest and building anticipation, it ends with no resolution. Was the problem ever finally identified?

Hey Arnulfo! I was just going to report the EXACT same thing when I read your post. I could NOT chase down the source of that vibration! Someone told me to take it to MIDAS, that they sometimes have old timers working there that know everything. I was at my wits' end so I said WTH and did it, and believe it or not! a guy there knew exactly what it was! A bad rear axle bearing! It was cheap too! Drew

• 2 years later...

I wanted to pass along that I figured out why my 65 Riviera had a vibration when I would decelerate.  I replaced the transmission mount and when I installed the new one I had to raise the transmission up approximately one inch.  Once install the vehicle did not have the vibration at all.  If you do replace the transmission mount make sure you test fit the bolts because the new one I purchased had a different thread pattern.  Thanks again for all the responses and help.

• Like 1