Could this be German made Stoever?

Juha Paavo Kaita

Guest Casper Friedrich

Maybe a Stoewer Typ B 6/16 PS 1910-12? It had an engine capacity of 1,5 litre, there was also an only slightly larger Typ B 6 with 2 litre engine. Three-quarter elliptic rear-springs and wooden spokes according to Hans Henrich von Fersen's Deutsche Autos 1885-1920. In that book there are drawings of the succeeding Typ C1 and C 2 from 1913. They look very similar to the Finnish car, but they have wire wheels.

After WWII Polski-Fiats were made in the old Stoewer factory.

BTW isn't the car's licence plates from the capital Helsinki? The Paige from 1914/1915 that you posted two years ago had an only slightly higher number.

Edited by Casper Friedrich (see edit history)

Hi,

Pity about the position of the numberplate but magnification of the wheel hubs deffinately suggests Stoewer. We had a 1912 C 2 on our Help Pages as per attached. I dont think the enquiry one is earlier. I would be interested if Juha could optically magnify the hub and confirm. It seems a bit clearer at the back but slightly rotated.

Regards

Vintman

post-58492-143138733633_thumb.jpg

Casper - you are right! The Stoever was registeres in Helsinki. I don´t know when they started to use registration plates like this. The earlier plates were like H:fors and number. The first registration plates came into use in Helsinki year 1907 and in Turku 1911. The registration plate in this Stoever is A 557.

Vintman - I try to get you a close up ohoto of the rear hub.

Thank you so much for your help - again!

Juha Kaitanen

Turku, Finland