rusty old chassis

adam1982

Anyone who might be able to help ID a derelict junk yard piece like this needs minimal data, take your tape measure and record the chassis wheelbase (C/L of front spindle to C/L of rear axle); diameter of wheel rims; open hood and observe how many cylinders the engine has; engine casting numbers; look at firewall for stamped or engraved production tags - the numbers & letters can ID year and model if present.

Stude8

The front wheels look to have hubcaps on them. Note it has no front brakes. If it was a Studebaker the engine might be mounted in a separate subframe within the chasis and there might be the remains of the serial number plate on the left side of the chassis under the front fender.

More pictures would help; of engine, gearbox, rear axle and hubcaps. Is the engine sidevalve or ohv? Is the gearbox connected directly to the engine or is there a short shaft between the two?

Take a look at the chassis on the ground in the left of the picture. The detail of the rear of the chassis with outboard mounting for 3/4 elliptic rear spring is typical of pre WW1 Italian style; and the outside close mounting of handbrake and gear levers close together means it could be something most interesting.

Those creases on the insides of the front fenders and also the headlight mounting holes would seem to match Dave Mellor's Hudson pic. The mystery chassis is missing that tubular cross member immediately in front of the radiator but maybe there were minor annual changes. I think the mystery car might be 1922 or later because the front fenders project further forward that those on the 1919 car. Check the pics in your copy of The Standard Catalog which I presume everybody has.

I hadn't noticed the chassis on the ground, at the left. I found another photo of this chassis, looking from the rear. You can see the top of the engine and that it has cylinder blocks cast in pairs. It also looks like a T head engine, I think I can see plugs on both sides of the cylinders.

I can also see the chassis on top has either an Andre Hartford or Truffault Hartford shock absorber. The top one has a very short wheel base, and what looks like an alloy cross member? and it looks like the bolster fuel tank sat above the rear of the chassis.

All sizes | Reynolds-Alberta Museum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Edited by Craig Gillingham
more info (see edit history)

I can't believe we get two photos of the same car!!! I love this form!!

Now I can say for sure that it is an early 1916 Hudson by the fact that it has a gate selector stye of trany evedent by the gear selector. Also the dash gives it away as well.

I would also agree that it was a closed car as there is no holes in the cowl top to receive the wind screan posts.

Now who can name the engine lying in the grass under the second frame in question??

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ivan and others. I have been to Reynolds place a few times, but I have never noticed either the Hudson or the mystery chassis. One must bear in mind there are HUNDREDS of similar artifacts at the Reynolds yard to distract one's attention. I am hoping to get back there this summer so if I do I will look for more details on the frame. Does anyone know the current situation at Reynold's regarding purchasing relics? At one time most things in the yard {not the items in the Alberta Reynolds museum} were for sale. As I understand it there was a lawsuit against Stan Reynolds regarding a tragic workplace death of one of his employees and sales were at least for a time suspended. Is this situation now resolved? I doubt the engine you can just see in the tall grass is from either of the frames . The cars , trucks , airplanes, parts etc. have been collected from many sites across Western Canada, and the USA. There appears to have been little attempt to keep parts from one particular car in one place. In one area you will find dozens of engines , close by perhaps twenty frames in a stack. Another row will be fairly intact cars from various eras. All mixed in with lots of tractors and farm implements, it's realy mind boggling and a little overwhelming.

All the best Greg in Canada {about 700 miles south west of Reynolds yard}

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...