Please help identify this horn.

Guest Low-Blow

Guest Low-Blow

I am brand new to this forum and would like to get some help in identifying this horn and how I might test it to see if it works. Any input you have would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

post-80645-143138727795_thumb.jpg

post-80645-1431387278_thumb.jpg

post-80645-143138727802_thumb.jpg

Look closely around the flange. you should see a faint "Sparton" stamped in. Try to see if the armature turns easily. If the diaphragm is good you will start to hear the "ahooga". Then check the brushes and commutator. If it all looks good try to put 6 volts to it as bleach said. there are screws for adjustment on the top. If it works clean it up, paint it and buy an easily available housing and you have a nice horn worth $150-200.

In addition to Sparton, 4 other makers produced horns for the Model A Ford at some period during its production. They were; Stewart-Warner, GIM, E. A. Labratories, and Ames. It is not uncommon to find a horn made up from parts of different makes, as most parts interchange and they often got swapped around over the years. Articles have appeared in Model A club literature showing pictures of each make, with its distinguishing features and markings.

Dave, Sparton was perhaps the most used of all the horns. Haven't ever seen statistics on this or know if such exists.

Not to be a nitpicker however, this from the Model A Judging Standards published jointly by MARC and MAFCA regarding the application span for each of the 5 Model A horns;

Sparton '27-'31, ( The Model A was introduced in December, 1927)

Stewart-Warner Mid '28-'31,

E. A. Labs '27-'29,

Ames '27-early'30,

G.I.M. mid '28-'31.