56 Ford 292 oil dipstick question...

Guest 56daisy

Guest 56daisy

I am concerned that the dipstick on a 56 Ford 292 (stock oil pan) Fairlane Sunliner that I am servicing is incorrect. The owner's manual shows a 5 quart oil capacity (6 quarts with filter change) for the V-8, but with an oil and filter change, the dipstick shows 'FULL' after only 4 quarts of oil after running the car for a few minutes to circulate/saturate the oil filter. If anyone has an original dipstick tube and dipstick, I would appreciate knowing its measurements, and assuming I indeed have the wrong one, leads to obtaining the correct tube and or dipstick would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Guest 56daisy
56Daisy - Check the thread dipstick dilemma under the 55-57 Thunderbird forum. It should answer the questions you may have.

Thank you. It did help somewhat, but it all still seems so vague - had no idea this would be such a mystery. If I know the oil pan has not been changed, it would seem entirely safe to put (6) quarts in and simply re-mark the dipstick with a new/correct FULL mark. Never-the-less, I am going to measure the dipstick tube and dipstick against the measurements you provided. Do you know if there is any reason the 56 292 in the Fairlane vs your 57 292 in the TBIRD would be a different configuration/lengths?

56 Daisy - I looked in my 1949-1959 Ford Parts and Accessories Manual regarding your question and found out that the dipstick and dipstick tube are different for the T-Bird and the Ford Car for 55-57 cars. It appears that the T-Bird dipstick is longer. I think you may have a T-Bird dipstick instead of the one for the Ford Passenger car.