Car ID Requested

Guest tom491

Can someone identify the automobile and approximate year built in the photo for me? Based on the age of my relatives in the photo (not included) I know the photo was taken sometime between 1920 and 1940. Car has an oval rear window and external trunk.

Thank you.

post-80577-143138726291_thumb.jpg

I can't find a good picture to prove it but maybe it is a 1930 Plymouth? The Plymouth does not have the moulding which appears around the window on the mystery car though. There were not many cars that used the oval window. Seems it was a short-lived fad around 1930. I think it made the rear end of the cars look odd.

The ridge around the window is the tell on this one. That ridge is not found on many makes at all. The Oaklands seem to have flat face bars on the bumpers where as the car in question looks to have slightly beveled face bars.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

It certainly looks like a 1930 Essex Super Six. The rounded corner rectangular rear window (not oval like the Plymouth or eliptical like the Pontiac), the rear fender shape, the shape of the rear bumper and the join of the rear quarter to the gas tank shield all look like Essex.

Guest stephen48

I took this photo a few years ago but the stuff is still there.

If you go to Google maps / street view and look up Horopito Motors you can see it from above. Go down closer then put your street view icon on Matapuna Rd and when you move it North you can see this scene on the bend in the road plus a lot more.