What does it belong to?

Guest studepeople

Guest studepeople

I bought this transmission with the hope of using it in one of my cars. It was sold to me as fitting a Pierce Arrow around 1930 model maybe a Model B. I have my doubts can anyone tell me for sure what it might fit........thankyou :confused:

post-71352-143138725318_thumb.jpg

post-71352-143138725322_thumb.jpg

post-71352-143138725325_thumb.jpg

post-71352-143138725329_thumb.jpg

post-71352-143138725332_thumb.jpg

It certainly looks like the Clark 4-speed in my 1930 Pierce-Arrow Model B. The best identification factor is the herringbone gears. P-A used the Clark ONLY in 1930, and on all 3 models, A B and C. It is a crash box requiring double clutching. P-A also used a 4-speed Brown-Lipe transmission, which is far more close-ratio than the Clark (see below).

1st gear (left rear of the H, against the spring) is a crawler, a parade gear, or for starting on a steep hill. 2nd gear (usual low gear position, not pushing against the spring) is fine for normal starting from a stop on level ground. 3rd gear (usual "2nd gear" position) has a ratio of 1.25:1 and is very useful. When shifting between 3rd and 4th, be careful because the ratios are so close. Unfortunately, the ratios of 1st and 2nd are also very close, so there is a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd. One really needs to wind up the rpms in 2nd before shifting to 3rd.

The Achilles heel of these trannies is the herringbone gears which are riveted together. Use a small pry bar to **gently** test how securely each pair of gears is still attached. If there's any slop, you'd be well advised to have them re-riveted before any damage is done. Also check the input shaft bearing and replace if there's any slop (remove collar before checking).

In Northern California's climate, I use Texaco Thuban SAE 250 gear oil in all my crash boxes. That weight is good for slowing gears down for clashless shifting. It will be stiff for only the first five minutes in our mild non-freezing winters.

Guest studepeople

Grimy; Thankyou very much for the great information.I am making a copy and saving this in my files. I will investigate these facts and check out my transmission..........but as you are saying is it the Brown -Lip or the Clark 4speed that has the riveted gears? Studepeople:confused:

Studepeople: All comments in my post are about the Clark tranny except the statement that the Brown-Lipe ratios are more favorable as close-ratio. The Clark tranny like yours has a wide gap between 2nd and 3rd, which is difficult on a steep upgrade as you must wind up the rpm in 2nd (normal 1st) before shifting to 3rd (a tall normal 2nd). As I recall, the two sides of the herringbone gears were cut about half a degree off from each other for sound-cancelling qualities.