Car Identification

Guest HistBuff

Guest HistBuff

Doing some family history research and am hoping to get an estimate date on the photo, based on the make, model, and year of the automobile in the background. I realize it's not the clearest picture, but if you could give me your guesstimate, it would help a lot.

Thanks

Ahna

P1010023.jpg

post-80532-143138725047_thumb.jpg

The little bit of car that's showing suggests Ford to me too. I'm guessing mid to late teens because of the clothing styles.

Hair styles look more like 1920s or even with the clothes early 1930s. Don't judge by the condition of the photograph. Being African-American heritage, many artifacts this early are often lost or in poor condition. It is a great photograph and a little more study may give you an answer. Was there anything on the back?

Eric

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

There were hundreds of auto manufacturers in the 1910s-1920s until after the stock market crash that the little bit show would be almost impossible to zero in on.

I do see what looks like a roll bar type setup over the front seat and a high crown roof. Any car manufacturers had that?

It is also a small car.

Eric

That so-called "roll bar setup" is the driver's side top irons. They look like they go from side to side, but in reality, they go from front to rear.

Guest Jim_Edwards
The little bit of car that's showing suggests Ford to me too. I'm guessing mid to late teens because of the clothing styles.

The clothing styles are more like mid to late 1920's. From old family photos I have that go back that far, I think the women's hair styles to be of the same general era.

Guest HistBuff

I was thinking mid-late 1920s, based on the hair styles and hats. The clothes are not quite "hip" and up-to-date, but that's to be expected. If these are my maternal ancestors, as they're said to be, they were mostly farm laborers (in the South) and probably either could not afford latest styles or they were simply impractical.

Unfortunately, my grandfather's cousin scanned the photo and sent it to my mom electronically, so I don't know what, if anything was written on the back. She is now deceased, so there's no way to ask her about the photo.

I had guessed, from looking at antique car photos, that this was a Model T Ford, but wasn't sure of the year.

Thanks for your suggestions and help. If you think of any thing else, feel free to mention it.

Alyse

Hoping someone can put more distinct numbers on this logic: Given any automobile void of any feature made between 1915 and 1927, there is more than a half chance that it was a Model T Ford. True or false?