Abandoned car in Scotland

Guest camerabag

Guest camerabag

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what make of car this is. Here is the link to a photo on flickr. I would really appreciate it if someone could spare the time to take a look. I don't recognise the badge on the front at all and have looked through lots of sites to try and ID it.

Loch Vaa Abandoned Car | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I didn't take the photo - the person who took it would like to know what the car is as well. The photo was taken near Loch Vaa in Scotland in 2009

Guest camerabag

My Dad owned a series of imported cars in the fifties, including a 1936 Hudson Terraplane and a 1938 Hudson Sedan. I think they must have been Canadian rather than American though as they were right hand drive. Anyway, that's why I didn't think it odd that an American, or Canadian, car would be in Scotland.

Definately 1940 standard Ford.

The 39 had the wipers above the windscreen, not on the cowl and the 39 has a chrome surround around the windscreen as it is hinged to open at the bottom. The 1940 models all have fixed windsreens and only a chrome strip in the centre. It also has quarter vent windows in the doors which were first fitted in 1940

The hood mouldings are quite different on a 39 with a chrome cover strip which hides the gap between the hood and the grille.

The only things on the car that are 1939 Deluxe are the grille and the bumper overriders

So what do you think it is eagle eyes?:rolleyes:
Didn't notice that the thread had been hijacked.

It's quite easy for me to say, "Yes, it is a 40 Standard.", after the fact, However, since I owned a 40 DeLuxe when I was a kid, it's an easy one for me. As stated, the wipers are the giveaway, except on open cars where both 39 and 40 had them in the cowl. The 39s also still had the opening windshield, which the pictured car doesn't have. The headlight doors seem to be missing. They and the grille were painted on the American cars with a chrome trim down the center of the grille. This car is evidently an export version. Eagle eyed enough for you?

OK you got me there. I was thinking you were saying I was totally off on the car.

You have to admit that's not a bad stab at ID-ing the car for someone who's never owned one. I'm not even a Ford expert and I didn't even do a search on the net.

Cheers.

Those fenders had to be 39 or they wouldn't have had to add the parking lights when they converted to sealed beams although they might have used old stock up on export models. I also think the hubcaps might be 39s. Back to the Opels, this picture of wet sanding '50 models was on The Old Motor | Old car photos today. They didn't change much from '38. Note the convertible sedan

opel-600x458.jpg

Workers at the Opel plant in Russelsheim, Germany, are seen in this photo taken during 1950, wet sanding body shells in primer for finish paint prep. The brushes the workers are holding are equipped with a water hose for an adequate flow of water which is necessary in good wet sanding operations. Photo courtesy of Carhubnews.

They and the grille were painted on the American cars with a chrome trim down the center of the grille. This car is evidently an export version. Eagle eyed enough for you?

This is a 39 grille with stainless cover strips not a cast 40 with the chrome centre section.

The Ford export cars at that time were all the same as the same as the American models apart from right hand drive and different upholstery.

The 39 Deluxe and all 40 models have exactly the same fenders.

There was a change very early in the 39 production run where the concave shape in the front of the fenders was altered slightly but you have to put the two types of fenders side by side to be able to pick the difference and it is not unknown to see a car with one of each type on it.

It looks like the car in the photo has some different type of light like a 36 Ford or Chevy ect. complete with the shell shoved in the existing bucket and fixed there as it is sitting too high and too far out and therefore the the original surrond and parklite wont fit