Searching for info on my 36 Desoto Airstream

1934 Terraplane

I am trying to find any and all information I can on my 1936 DeSoto. I believe that it spent most of its life in Canada. This has made it hard for me to research since I don’t have any knowledge of the French language. I will start with the car info from now back to its beginning and hope something in my info will give you a clue to help me with my search. I would love to correspond with a former owner, their family, mechanic, former restorer, other owners, etc.

10/19/11

Car Info: 1936 Desoto Airstream Custom 4 door convertible. Vin 9665124

Car is painted and restored except for a new top and wheel alignment. We used the same leather upholstery that was put in the car in Canada during an earlier restoration. We updated the interior trim, dash, and carpet. Car was stripped to bare metal then repainted a tan and brown, with red wheels and new WW tires. We also updated engine and drive train over this period.

9/15/01

Purchased car through:

Automotive Consultants Inc., Fred Shkinder, 901 Lincoln Avenue, Holbrook, N.Y. 11741

631-218-1300

The receipt I have is from two different companies:

Central Auto Liquidators and Americar & Truck Sales 891 Ringwood Ave., Haskell, NJ 07420

We picked the car up in NJ.

01/01/ 36 to 9/15/01

Key fob in car when purchased is stamped:

Pierrefonds Auto Body, 4796, Boul. St- Charles, Pierrefonds, Tel: 626-7460.

I did find there is still a body repair at this location, but have not found out anything yet.

Also on the key ring is the old License plate ID tag reading: 1971 , Quebec, 670-579, La Belle Province. I don't know if there is any way to check this plate number?

One of the most interesting finds was when we took the front seat apart there were several business cards in the back of the driver’s seat. I am assuming this person did some if not all of the original restoration. One side is in English and the other in French. We did find a record for this shop, but with a different address and I think a start up probably after the car had been done. Maybe he worked from his home or another location before this address that’s on the Internet.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>English side:

D. Bisson Shop, Repair and complete restoration of antique and special interest., 19212 Gouin Blvd West Pierrefond, Montreal Tel: 620-2920 Res: 620-1634

French side:

Atelier D. Bisson, 19212 ouest, Boul. Gouin , Pierrefond, Montreal

We believe the car and all components to have been made in Canada and would love records or facts to this.

In closing I would like to thank you for reading or sharing this to find a little history on such a nice and very Deco era car. I will be happy to email any info or pictures of the cards or car.

My contact info is: Prefer Email glenreeves@aol.com , but anything is fine

Glen Reeves 1581 East Chester Road Richmond, Indiana 47374

Phone 765-969-7323

Thank you for your time and hope you find some info,

Glen

post-79927-143138721416_thumb.jpg

post-79927-143138721419_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
Guest kaska1972

Automotive Consultants Inc., Fred Shkinder, 901 Lincoln Avenue, Holbrook, N.Y. 11741

This was my father!

I am trying to find any and all information I can on my 1936 DeSoto. I believe that it spent most of its life in Canada. This has made it hard for me to research since I don’t have any knowledge of the French language. I will start with the car info from now back to its beginning and hope something in my info will give you a clue to help me with my search. I would love to correspond with a former owner, their family, mechanic, former restorer, other owners, etc.

10/19/11

Car Info: 1936 Desoto Airstream Custom 4 door convertible. Vin 9665124

Car is painted and restored except for a new top and wheel alignment. We used the same leather upholstery that was put in the car in Canada during an earlier restoration. We updated the interior trim, dash, and carpet. Car was stripped to bare metal then repainted a tan and brown, with red wheels and new WW tires. We also updated engine and drive train over this period.

9/15/01

Purchased car through:

631-218-1300

The receipt I have is from two different companies:

Central Auto Liquidators and Americar & Truck Sales 891 Ringwood Ave., Haskell, NJ 07420

We picked the car up in NJ.

01/01/ 36 to 9/15/01

Key fob in car when purchased is stamped:

Pierrefonds Auto Body, 4796, Boul. St- Charles, Pierrefonds, Tel: 626-7460.

I did find there is still a body repair at this location, but have not found out anything yet.

Also on the key ring is the old License plate ID tag reading: 1971 , Quebec, 670-579, La Belle Province. I don't know if there is any way to check this plate number?

One of the most interesting finds was when we took the front seat apart there were several business cards in the back of the driver’s seat. I am assuming this person did some if not all of the original restoration. One side is in English and the other in French. We did find a record for this shop, but with a different address and I think a start up probably after the car had been done. Maybe he worked from his home or another location before this address that’s on the Internet.

ffice:office" /><o:p></o>English side:

D. Bisson Shop, Repair and complete restoration of antique and special interest., 19212 Gouin Blvd West Pierrefond, Montreal Tel: 620-2920 Res: 620-1634

French side:

Atelier D. Bisson, 19212 ouest, Boul. Gouin , Pierrefond, Montreal

We believe the car and all components to have been made in Canada and would love records or facts to this.

In closing I would like to thank you for reading or sharing this to find a little history on such a nice and very Deco era car. I will be happy to email any info or pictures of the cards or car.

My contact info is: Prefer Email glenreeves@aol.com , but anything is fine

Glen Reeves 1581 East Chester Road Richmond, Indiana 47374

Phone 765-969-7323

Thank you for your time and hope you find some info,

Glen