Spring meet in Reading Pa.

Guest Kevin J. Keenan

Guest Kevin J. Keenan

Does anyone know the name and tel # for the host hotel for the spring meet in Reading Pa.?

Do you know what the hotel is charging for the rooms?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know the name and tel # for the host hotel for the spring meet in Reading Pa.?

Do you know what the hotel is charging for the rooms?

Thanks

Crown Plaza Reading is listed as the host hotel, I got a room there today, great rate also. Thanks to whoever negotiated the room rates!!

• 3 weeks later...

Question? Did anyone yet receive the registration information from AACA. I mail the request right after the last magazine with the request, along with 2012 dues check. The membership card arrived last week, but still no Registration Form. I want to make sure it was not lost. Thanks for any info.

John

I am not a member of the Ontelaunee Region, however, I live just outside of Reading. If I can help anyone with any questions on the area, or anything else not directly connected with the meet, feel free to e-mail me and i'll see what I can do.

Hello

I was at the Region Planning Meeting for the Spring Meet yesterday. The Registration forms are at the printer and will be mailed in the next two weeks. I will follow-up and confirm when they have been mailed. No worries, nothing has got lost in the mail yet, plus you have plenty of time yet to polish your car before the show.

Mike

Hello Dick

I attended the Region Spring Show Meeting yesterday. Trailer parking for cars pre 1928 will be at the show field. For cars 1928 and newer, the trailer parking will be about 6 miles from the show field. The trailer parking is 3 miles from the host hotel. All lots are paved.

I trust this helps. I will be glad to answer any additional questions.

Guest 1929model75

I myself do not have a problem driving my car 6 miles. However I plan on bringing two cars and do not feel comfortable letting my friend drive my 29 Chry as he has never driven an old car. Can they be unloaded at the field then parked the 6 miles away? Thanks for your help. Chris

Steve,

Thanks for the prompt response. No sweat with the time. I am just a worrier, and thought mine may have been lost in the mail. Reading is mine, and the '32 Buicks home town (the car, of course, being born in Flint), and we both grew up there, so I wanted to make sure everything was set, well in advance. Looks like I raised quite some interest and questions.

John

We have discussed the potential for unloading at the location of the Show on EARLY Saturday morning. I beleive a final decision will be made upon knowing the final count of cars registered which we shall know in mid April. I do know, that if unloading is done at the show field that trailor parking will be the slight distance away. I would say the same for motor cycles and race cars. The final decision will be made upon knowing final registration numbers. We will try to faciliate everyone and I will bring these discussions up at our next planning meeting.

Besides, I already have been told it will be beautiful, warm and sunny for all days of the show.

Mike

Let me see if I have this correct. If I unload my motorcycle at the show field, I then drive my car and trailer six miles to the trailer parking area. I then get to walk the six miles back to the show field and my bike. Is this the plan? A number of bike exhibitors will face this scenario. Perhaps you might consider this at your next planning meeting.

Thanks

Six miles is a good excerise workout, plus it is all up hill! I am sure this is not the intent nor plan. I know they are having a shuttle service Saturday during the show. Plus your question is a very good question and I will ask your question regarding motorcycle unloading and trailor parking. And I understand fully, that you don't want to leave your motorcycle unattended.

I will let you know as soon as I get an answer. I know they wish to please everyone as much as possible within the bounds of the facility and attendance.

Chysler Mike

Thanks. The shuttle is a good idea--as long as it operates when the show is winding down. The shuttle at Hershey worked fine in the morning, but it seemed to disappear in the afternoon when everyone was trying to get back to the trailer parking area.

So I am expected to bring my 1932 vehicle, which will likely come out of the restoration shop the day before the show without being sufficiently test driven, and drive it 6 miles from the trailer parking area to the show field? You folks seem to be doing everything possible to limit the number of cars attending.

It was a rhetorical question. Of course it SHOULD be roadworthy but you think cars never struggle on to the showfield only hours after their first roll out from being restored? Had a friend who spent most of a night bolting the last few pieces onto his Packard inside his trailer while his wife pulled the trailer from Sarasota, Florida to Rome Georgia for an AACA meet. Name on request. Some old timers here may remember him.

If it won't go six miles, it can hardly be called restored, and isn't ready for an award! (This remark isn't directed at race cars, that aren't intended to be public-roadworthy.)

There are a lot of vehicles other than cycles that end up on an AACA show field that CAN go 6 miles without a problem, the question is if they SHOULD be on 55 mph highways (which one of the roads leading to the show site is). For example, the Motorette that was parked next to me in Charlotte and a number of other microcars. My Farm O Road is set up for show in "farm" configuration and as such, has dual rear tractor tires. It CAN drive 6 miles and a lot more with no problem, however, at any speed greater than 35 MPH, it will loosen the fillings on your teeth. Most Crosleys (especially the pre war cars) in general were designed to be 35 mph cars. Putting them out in traffic on a modern 4 lane is asking for disaster. I am sure there are a lot of other examples of "restored" cars later than the 1928 number that have limitations . In addition, consideration for those like above, that are bringing more than 1 car on their trailer. I live locally, so I can find ways around the problem, but considerations need to be made for those that have those limitations.

Edited by DAVE A (see edit history)

If it won't go six miles, it can hardly be called restored, and isn't ready for an award! (This remark isn't directed at race cars, that aren't intended to be public-roadworthy.)

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

My 56 Chrysler's first real trip out of the shop after restoration was to get the front aligned. A trip of 7 miles. It came home on a roll back. It's first two shows it got it's junior and senior and a nomination for a National award. I guess it WAS restored and ready for an award. Just saying..............Bob

If the only way to get from trailer parking to the show field is a major highway, then the show organizers have been severely lax. I'm somewhat familiar with the roads in that area, having been on the Brass in Berks County HCCA tour there the last two years and going again this year. It's hard to believe there isn't SOME way to get there without being run down from behind. I drove my 1907 senior one-lung Cadillac from Lititz, PA to the Hershey show field this year, about 28 miles of hilly country roads. I didn't worry about having my teeth shaken loose above 35 mph, because the critter WON'T GO 35 mph. Up some of the hills, it wouldn't go 10 mph! My point is, they're meant to be driven. Granted, they're not all meant to be driven on high speed roads in today's traffic. But the gripe that prompted my post didn't refer to a dangerous road. Rather, it seemed to suggest that it was an imposition to expect a restored car to have to be driven six miles. To which my response is CODSWALLOP!!!

Two weeks ago, we were informed that the show field, trailer parking and "everything" else was very close together! Now, after my plans have been made to attend, I am finding out that the trailer parking is 6 miles away! Well,apparently those folks planning on bringing a number of motorcycles are not really that important to the club, because I simply will not attend, and I know at least two other exhibitors of motorcycles whose plans will be changing as well. So those of you who are not fans of anything other than 4-wheeled vehicles won't have to be irritated by having to look at motorcycles, motorbikes, mini-cycles, mopeds and scooters. :mad:

Motorcycle haulers are very small. You would think there could be a way for these tiny trailer rigs to be located in a small area close to the show field. Ever try to ride a motorcycle from your distant parking area balancing a lawn chair, a fire extinguisher, some detailing products and rags, manuals and other proofs of documentation,... all this plus holding your show card in your teeth to verify you're an entrant, then try to motion the person handing out dash plaques to stick it in your coat pocket??? Then after all that you get to "find a way back" to your trailer and get your second show vehicle. Of course after the show, you once again have to pack up your chair, heavy fire extinguisher, cleaning supplies and play the balancing act again in slow traffic back to the trailer parking area miles away, then somehow get back to the show field to get your other vehicle. Think you guys in the 4-wheelers have it hard?

Edited by Dick380185 (see edit history)

Well. I guess we will have to wit for details as to where the trailer parking will be and the routes we will have to take. I know the area fairly well also and cannot beiieve that it is necessary to take a major highway some distance. There seems to be a number of large parking loots nesarby and perhaps even street trailer unloading and parking at the lot later. But you might need an extra driver. Are we sure you will need to travel on a highway to reach the show field, or is this just speculation. Lets way till we hear some "official" word.

I am sure something will work out.

John

Hello Dick

Please take a deep breath. I understand your concern. I have sent an email to the folks running the show with your concern. Your concern for motorcycles will be adressed as well as race cars. There is a shuttle during the show and on Friday. It is only January 10th. Having these discussions and concerns now, allows for additional planning and thus a show and structure that is suitable for everyone.

We shall get you an answer.

Mike

Hello Dick

Please take a deep breath. I understand your concern. I have sent an email to the folks running the show with your concern. Your concern for motorcycles will be adressed as well as race cars. There is a shuttle during the show and on Friday. It is only January 10th. Having these discussions and concerns now, allows for additional planning and thus a show and structure that is suitable for everyone.

We shall get you an answer.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. We're depending on you folks to help us out a bit. Very few people realize how difficult it is to get a motorbike onto a show field with all the things we will need for the day, and it's especially hard when showing a vehicle by one's self. Many of the smaller bikes are not even able to be licensed in PA, so riding them on public streets is not legal, (just like the race vehicles) therefore we need trailer parking adjacent to the show field.

Thank you, Mike. I intend to sign up for the meet on the off chance that my '12 Buick will be ready for its debut. I'd be willing to drive it the 6 miles (assuming there's a benign way to do so) if it would let someone with multiple vehicles park his trailer closer by. I have no sympathy for people who won't drive a street legal vehicle, but I empathize with anyone trying to show up with more than one. We could set up a judging category for people who want to emulate - was it Victor Mature? - in the ancient movie in which he drove two Roman chariots at once, one foot in each. What a sight that would be, coming from six miles away! Much more exciting than the Hershey highwheeler race!

- in the ancient movie in which he drove two Roman chariots at once, one foot in each. What a sight that would be, coming from six miles away! Much more exciting than the Hershey highwheeler race!

LOL!!! That's the answer I give whenever someone asks how I get 2 Crosleys to a show (I almost always take at least 2...I had 4 at Awkscht Fescht last year, made 2 trips). I tell them that I put one on each foot and roller skate!!! I agree that there are other ways of getting to the show site without using the highway. Let's just wait and see what is worked out. A little communication with local police would be helpful also if we are going to end up winding through city streets. 6 miles in the area of this show will mean crossing a couple of jurisdictions. Oh and like Gil, I will be there even if I have to drive from home and take a taxi to get the second one.

Edited by DAVE A (see edit history)

I agree that all cars should be able to drive the 6 miles but it's just never as simple as that. We constantly hear folks bemoaning the fact that fewer and fewer "old" cars come out for shows yet little thought is often given to making it easier for these cars to be shown. How many folks have cars in their collection that they would like to bring to our shows but can't if they need to drive 6 miles from trailer parking? Many, many collector cars are not licensed for road use so can't legally be driven but folks would still like to see them on the show field. I do admire this shows organizers for giving consideration to pre 1928 vehicles and I'm sure all will work out well. Trailer parking at a distance from the show field is a pet peeve of mine but I do understand the difficulties of organizing these shows.

Sorry, I have had little time to devote to the forums. Just saw all the posts. I am asking the meet folks to give an official and correct answer on this forum as soon as possible. It was and is my understanding that motorcycles and race cars were already addressed and that parking was going to be close by. I may have received incorrect info but will make sure we get the right answers. Regions do not always have easy answers to meets that are this big.

I was looking forward to bringing my car to this show, but I don't drive it on public roads yet. It's a fresh frame off restoration, and I'm not ready for bugs, stone chips, etc. After spending 2 years and a pile of cash restoring the vehicle, I just don't want it on the roads yet. I can have my car out of the trailer in a few mins. It seems like there should be somewhere near the show field to unload. Maybe I don't understand the area, but I've never been to an AACA show that didn't have trailer parking somewhere near the show.

I guess it's early in the season, but I can't find any info on this show at all, except when it's going to be. Does anyone know where the show will be held? Is it in a park, hotel, etc. Are there host hotels in the area?

Hello B Rose

A few quick facts.

1. A card to request the registration packet was part of the last AACA Publication and will also be included in the soon to be mailed publication. Also details can be requested from the AACA Home Page. The registartion packets are at the printer and will be mailed to all that have requested in the very near future.

2. The host hotel is the Crowne Plaza in Wyomissing, PA. 610-375-7562. Ask for the AACA rate which is a great rate.

3. The show will be at the Greater Reading Expo Center. 2525 N. 12th Street, Reading, PA 19605 If you Goggle earth the location you will see the facility. The show will be on the north side parking lots.

4. The majority of trailer parking will be at the VF Outlet complex located near the host hotel and about 6 miles from the show field. There will be unloading at the show field, but trailer parking for most will be at the VF Outlet Complex Parking lots. The lots are security patroled by VF. The lots are paved and stone. Limited trailer parking will be at the show field for cars older than 1928. A final verdict on trailer parking for race cars and motorcycles will be given soon. The Region is doing everything to please all and have several experienced show folks planning the show. I am sure they will have addressed everyone's desires and everyone will have a great show experience.

5. A shuttle will be running until 5 pm on Show Saturday from the hotels and the VF Parking Trailer lot to the show. The shuttle will also be running on Friday. Specific shuttle hours and times will be released soon.

I hope this helps everyone. Many of the specific details are being finalized, but I know the Region Team will insure that every detail is answered and that they address everyone's concerns. Oh and finally, I understand they have made an agreement with a certain authority for sunny and warm all the days of the show!

ChryslerMike

That clears up all the questions I had. Thanks Mike. I don't have any problem with the trailer parking being 6 miles away, as long as we can unload them near the show. Looking forward to that nice weather you have planned. Thanks again....Bill Rose

Since I am planning on attending the Reading Meet, I've been following this thread. This will be the first time I'll actually be showing one of my own cars in serious competition in over 20 years. I've shown many cars in competition over the years, from AACA Nat'l meets to Amelia Island, Pebble Beach, Meadowbrook, etc., but they've all been customer's cars that we've restored (it's the old story of the shoemaker's kids shoes getting the least attention). The questions/comments on this thread regarding the trailer parking/unloading arrangements for early cars and/or motorcycles caught my attention and since we deal mostly with early brass-era cars, it hits close to home, so I though I'd chime in with my 'two cents worth' from the viewpoint of someone that regularly has to deal with these issues. First off, no one with a 100 year old car, regardless of condition, should be forced to drive it on a major 4/6 lane highway with 55-65 MPH speeds. With few exceptions these vehicles were not designed for these speeds and present many safety issues, both for the driver/occupants as well as the other vehicles around them. There have been a number of incidents/accidents recently (some reported on this forum) resulting from drivers over-driving these early cars, some the fault of the drivers and some resulting from inappropriate actions on the part of others. Beyond the safety issue(s) though, and what I find myself dealing with on a regular basis in so far as dealing with restored show cars, is this. When I, or my customer, devotes many hundreds or thousands of hours and tens of thousands of dollars to a restoration the expectation is that the car can be shown successfully in competition... Not just one show, but in numerous shows over the period of several years. Past the actual restoration, it remains a lot of work to maintain a vehicle in top show condition. I agree with the poster(s) that stated that if the car has been properly restored it should not have a problem driving 6 miles. That's true for even very early cars. As a veteran of many brass-era tours, including the London-to-Brighton run, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the early cars are very capable when properly restored/maintained. However the issue here is dealing with show cars. Whether you agree with it or not, the simple fact is that to be competitive in today's standards, especially the Concours-level events, the cosmetic appearance of these cars, especially the chassis finish and detail that is so much more visible on the early cars must be of the highest caliber, probably far better than was ever the case when the cars were new. You may not agree with me on this, and/or you may not like the idea, but that's the way it is. Early cars present many additional challanges to maintaining the level of detail, finish, and cleanliness that later vehicles simply don't have to deal with. Even a short drive of a block or two from the trailer parking area to the show field can result in a hour or two of laying under one of the early cars, on the showfield, cleaning off the oil slung off the drive chains, cleaning all-white/gray tires, etc. to return the chassis to the pristine condition that is expected when judging time comes around. And that's after spending a week or more polishing brass and paint, cleaning and touching up before each show. And if it's raining, the roads are wet or muddy, or you have to drive down a dusty road just to get onto the showfield it magnifies the problem. I've had to deal with all of these issues and more over the past 25-30 years in this hobby. To many this may seem extreme or excessive, and unnecessary whining. To some this just isn't their interest in the hobby. An that's all fine, well and good. That's one of the wonderful things about our hobby. There is room for all involved to enjoy their area(s) of interest. The point of all of this is that, at least to me, it doesn't seem too much to ask that the planners/organizers of these events understand the issues that the owners of these cars face and have to deal with in order to bring their cars out to their events. If you want to attract top level restored vehicles, then you have to provide the amenities/facilities to support the owners in their efforts to bring out the best, including a close-by area to unload and load their cars. Over the years I've experienced the best, and the worst, at shows. Often simply a polite conversation with the person running the showfield will result in some accomodations being made. Conversely I've been told that "If you didn't want to drive your car you should have left it at home" (this only once, and we've never gone back to that show despite being invited several times). Sometimes it's a just case of the showfield organizer(s) not having experience in dealing with these issues and not allowing for unloading/trailer parking at the field (this shouldn't be the case at ANY AACA Nat'l Meet however). Our club has made many strides over the years to accomodate the various levels of interest in this hobby. The inception of the HPOF and Drivers Participation classes are just two examples that quickly come to mind. The AACA has also been instrumental in raising the bar for both quality and authenticity in restoration over the years. We've all benefitted in one way or the other. The issue of show car trailer parking/loading areas is just another factor that needs to be addressed so that this problem doen't have to be revisited every year. The AACA has a committee that assists regions in putting on National Meets, and sets and maintains standards for these events. It is my opinion that this situation needs to be addressed and become one of the standards for inclusion in what must be done when hosting one of our National Meets. It's really not to much to ask... at least that's one person's opinion...

This was received from the host region:

In an effort to clear-up some questions regarding motorcycle parking, we will allow the participants to load and unload the motorcycles at the show field. After they are unloaded and registered,

the trailer and tow vehicle must be taken to the VF lot. To return to the show field, there will shuttle buses running before and after the show. After the show the participants may pick-up there tow vehicles and return to the show field and load up their show vehicles. Also, the distance is not 6 miles, but approx. 3 miles