1952 Roadmaster Estate Wagon project.

MikesWoodieWorld

Mike;

At the risk of sounding repetitive, the grain is absolutely gorgeous. The ash speaks for itself, and the inserts on the back of the tailgate are amazing!

Anyway, its' getting late here in the East, and we're getting ready for another 6-8 inches of snow tomorrow, so I'm off to bed.

Thanks so much for posting.

Keith

I just today, got the official postcard about the "Woodies in the Valley" show, presented by the Central Valley Woodie Club.

Thanks to Wayne Yada's & Ernie & Liss Crotty's extra efforts.

It will be held on March 7-9, in Visalia, CA.

Alex & I are planning to attend on the 10th, and we will get all the pics we can and send them here.

I am sure there will be a great article in the Woodie Times, but we should get pics here quicker.

We plan to present a trophy to what we consider the "Best Wood", and we are looking forward to it. Mike

Well, now that I have an opportunity to add videos to this link...

(Way beyond my expertise, by the way!!)

And only so grateful for my addition of Alex, a great woodworker, but also his wife, Hannah, who is the computer Whiz that made all this magic possible.

And since we're making new wood for the 52 Buick new project (eg: carving it),

We will just have to add here some videos of wood being carved!!

Complete with wood chips flying into the camera!!!

OK, when we are done, we are the ones that have to sweep them up!!!

Stay in touch, Mike

Hello friends of wooden art,

my name is Thomas and I live in Germany. Since 1998 we, my family and I, own a 1952 Buick Super Estate Wagon. We bought it from Ken Schmidt, the former owner of the Buick Bonery in Sacramento, Ca. The car was technical a condition 5 car with lot of rust, but the original wood was completely useable. After a complete frame off restoration by myself, it was brought back on the road after 10 years.

We love this car very much and it is the only one here in Germany. Maybe in Europe.

I love to see all the pictures of your woodies and the lot of work you have done.

Here are some of our Woody:

post-43198-143142384209_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but the photos are not in the right sequence.

Happy Buicking

Thomas

post-43198-143142384151_thumb.jpg

post-43198-143142384164_thumb.jpg

post-43198-143142384191_thumb.jpg

post-43198-143142384195_thumb.jpg

post-43198-143142384199_thumb.jpg

post-43198-143142384202_thumb.jpg

post-43198-143142384204_thumb.jpg

I know this is a Buick thread but after seeing Mikes work I want him to turn my 1954 Caddy in to a "woody" I could tell people it is my one off tiger hunting car built for Maharaja Babba Rammedass ! ![ATTACH=CONFIG]233969[/ATTACH]

We could accommodate you if you are serious, but the cost would be in the high price brackets...!!

Email me if you are serious for more info, and some of our outrageous ideas at: mikesoldecars@yahoo. com

Or send me a private message, here.

We loved the picture of your Caddy Ambulance, which prompted us to lower ourselves to do a Caddy!! LOL

It is gorgeous, but Cadillac never made production Woodies, so we would have to lower ourselves to make "just" another one of them custom ones...although your name for it sounds really good!! LOL

(Took us awhile to figure it out, but cracked us up when we did...)

And, we aren't so far away....

So, come down to the south (warmer) weather & visit us, anytime!!

Your thoughts???

Cheers, Mike

Hello friends of wooden art,

my name is Thomas and I live in Germany. Since 1998 we, my family and I, own a 1952 Buick Super Estate Wagon. We bought it from Ken Schmidt, the former owner of the Buick Bonery in Sacramento, Ca. The car was technical a condition 5 car with lot of rust, but the original wood was completely useable. After a complete frame off restoration by myself, it was brought back on the road after 10 years.

We love this car very much and it is the only one here in Germany. Maybe in Europe.

I love to see all the pictures of your woodies and the lot of work you have done.

Here are some of our Woody:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233994[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233993[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233995[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233996[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233997[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233998[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]233999[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]234000[/ATTACH]

Sorry, but the photos are not in the right sequence.

Happy Buicking

Thomas

Greetings Thomas,

First of all, let me say your finished product looks gorgeous!

And I have a full understanding of what you went through to get it to its current glory.

I loved the pictures of before, and during, then finished!!

Even if "they are not in the right sequence" LOL

No problem there, easy to figure out!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, most Woodies found today have wood that is not salvageable, hence new wood is required.

I started, (and fell in deep love of Woodies) when they had salvageable wood, and restored many, but nowadays, they are scarce.

Glad you found a real relic with good, no, great wood!!

And it shows in the finished pictures...it all looks really great...paint, wood, and all the rest.

And there is so much more of all the rest...you have my respect!!

Keep in touch, Mike

Hello Mike and Alex,

I would love to have you wood-E-eyes my Caddy. Unfortunately there are other projects that must be finished first. One thing that is for sure, when I get the opportunity to do something like this...you are the guys that could pull it off !! What a great set of skills you have. I will definitely drop by on my next foray south..I would be thrilled to see your work close up.

Thanks for posting the great pictures and video.

Cheers,Pat

Thanks for your welcome,

In 1997 first we saw the woody, when we visitid Ken Schmidts Buick Bonery for 56 Buick parts. My wife fell in love with the car when she saw it. But for me it was no option to buy it, because of the lot of work. One year later I made the "Guys Trip" with my son through some National Parks and for some more Buick parts. Every time I called my wife, she said: "Please visit Ken and buy the Woody". After some calls I had no other chance to do it.

My son and I started the restoring on the First January 1999.

We put the body off the frame, restored the frame, all axles the Dynaflow and the engine. After that we started with the body. Both rusty front floor panes get out and new were put in. After we had painted the fire wall and the bottom from beneth, we put off all wood from the body. All wood was sanded and painted with boats laquer 10 times. It took more than three hundred hours of work to bring it that condition. Maybe because I am no wood guy.

It was funny to see the body without wood with the"flying" top. Between 2003 and 2007 the Woody project stopped because of a lot of work on our house and a vintage recreation trailer project. From 2007 to June 2009 I finished it. The complete interior was redone in the original red color. I used leather instead of the Vinyl seat covers.

After all, I am happy about my wife convincing me to buy the Woody.

I will add some more photos of the process in the next days.

Happy Buicking

Thomas

Guest Rob McDonald
1) I used leather instead of the Vinyl seat covers. 2) I am happy about my wife convincing me to buy the Woody.

Here are two sentences that are rarely seen in the same place - or anywhere. Fabulous car, beautiful colours, great story. Looking forward to more photos.

Guest Rob McDonald

THOMAS, thanks for the photo show and for doing such a fine restoration of a great car. It's amazing that such a worn down station wagon would retain its wood framing in good condition.

In 1998 when we bought the Buick, Ken Schmidt told us that he bought it in 1989 from someone who bougt it in 1974 in the San Diego area. Since 1974 it was garage kept. This owner sanded the wood but did nothing more on the car. During our restoration I found handsful of wheat in the back of the car. I believe the first owner was a farmer. The day we bought it, we first took all parts out of the car and reasambled it, because we wanted to know, if the car is complete. The only thing which was missing was the oil filter canister. Ken gave us a spare front window glas (the old was cracked), two sets of different styled hupcaps and a lot of other parts for the restoration. The car was a big puzzle for us.

Thomas

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we finally finished our work on the 49!!

It is going to be picked up, soon, by the present owner, who has never seen it!!

...In the flesh, er, steel, er, wood!!

OK, you know what I mean!!

No pics as of yet, but will follow up with some of it being loaded, when that occurs.

Many excess parts, so loading will take some time.

Alex & I went this last weekend to the Woodie gathering in Visalia, CA, about a 250 mile drive, but well worth the effort.

I am sure there will be some coverage in the Woodie Times, and you may get to see Alex.

He made a gorgeous trophy, and arranged to present it to our choice of Woodies, and did a bang-up job of doing it, if I say so myself!!

His wife, Hannah, took a video of his presentation, soon to be added here.

(Keep reminding this old guy to get it here...forgetful, old age, go together!!)

Looking forward to the next project, a bright red 1952 Super, right here soon, to be refitted with all new wood.

We have been busy making some of it.

Will keep you posted, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the red 1952 Super showed up here a week or so ago, and we are cooking!!

The 49 is still awaiting its owner to pick it up, should be this week, weather permitting.

Meanwhile we have carved most of the rear quarter pieces for the new project, and have started fitting some of it.

Quite fitting that it is a 1952!!

This wagon is gorgeous!!

All mechanical components have been rebuilt, the frame powder coated, the total body painted shiny red, everywhere, top, bottom, and everywhere else!!

We feel very special to be building all new wood for it.

We coated the fresh paint with yellow tape to protect it from our numerous fitting, trimming and refitting of the wood.

This weekend there is a Woodie show in Huntington Beach, south of LA, and Alex is going to it, so I get to relax for a few days. I decided not to go since I love the life out here in the sticks, and never relish any thoughts of fighting traffic in LA!!

But, I am sure he will take some pics, and I will post them here...hopefully there will be more Buicks...!!

By the way, Alex is the working guy wearing blue, I am the old white haired guy, relaxing!!

post-79354-143142436875_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143142437134_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143142437137_thumb.jpg

post-79354-14314243714_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143142437143_thumb.png

post-79354-143142437146_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Hello Mike and Alex,

I would love to have you wood-E-eyes my Caddy. Unfortunately there are other projects that must be finished first. One thing that is for sure, when I get the opportunity to do something like this...you are the guys that could pull it off !! What a great set of skills you have. I will definitely drop by on my next foray south..I would be thrilled to see your work close up.

Thanks for posting the great pictures and video.

Cheers,Pat

Hi Pat,

I think I was derelict to not respond to you, my bad!!

Or perhaps I did respond and don't remember, also my bad!!

(Hey I am an old guy, with a poor memory!!...I think?? LOL)

Anyway, i hear what you say about too many projects, I firmly believe us car nuts, oops, I mean Woodie nuts have a propensity to acquire way more projects that would be possible to restore in any given lifetime.

I am currently looking at my projects in a different light, after getting my feet on the ground!

Wishing is one thing, reality is another, and guess which one is the truth!!

I only hope we can get together at some time and make your dream a reality.

Cheers, Mike

I checked out your run from Cuyama to Huntington Beach. The county to the south of me has more cows than people populating it; doesn't look like there are even cows around you!

The route is familiar. A couple of decades ago I spent some time around Pomona fixing a broken cogeneration plant. After reading about Huntington Beach in car magazines I went down there for a break, kind of a let down. The best thing I remember is the big powerplant just to the south of the beach. That was exciting to me. We came back home base in Diamond Bar on the LA Freeway at night. The waves of brake lights are still etched in my mind.

One afternoon we took the mountain road north out of Azusa, looks like it heads your way. (Main St. Azusa looks like my town). We went 20 miles or so, past a couple of reservoirs, and figured we better head back to civilization.

I'm glad I looked at the map. That was a good time.

Bernie

Some things in life are just good memories. I haven't been back to LA since that job. Maybe my neatest recollection of the last trip was the road through the Brea Valley and finding a diner that wasn't a chain in town.

This picture was taken about 10 miles from me. The name of the road is Woodchuck Alley.

0006.JPG

Just park the car in the middle of the road and get out so you can take a picture.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the last post on our project showed a red 1952 Super in progress.

Alex's wife was due to have their first baby about then, and of course Alex wanted to be there...

So...

Alex & Hannah had a bouncing baby girl, Daisy, and they are thrilled...all went well!

He was only away for a couple of weeks, that changed their whole lives!!

The red Buick owner didn't want to wait indefinately (not very understanding at all!), so he pulled the wagon from here.

That's OK, since now we are working on a 53 that has been here way too long!!

We have made most of the wood, the right rear corner post was our last carving feat.

The driver's side rear quarter is all fitted up, first pic.

The door wood is close just held with spring clamps, 2nd pic.

The 3rd pic shows the passenger side rear corner post blank all glued up.

It takes 3 pieces of ash, 2.5" thick to make the blank.

We have already carved it, but I couldn't seem to add the pic of it carved...not sure why!!

But I'll post it later. Mike

post-79354-143142558558_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143142558561_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143142558563_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

MIKE, most of your other projects have shown the wood to be one of the last phases in a restoration. Usually, the paint is already done. Why have you chosen to start with the woodwork on the '53, before the bodywork?

Cool shot of that pillar blank. Reminds me of boats I used to build with my kids.

Hey Mike, what did you ever do with the 47' woodie pickup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, nothing!!

I am still eagerly awaiting it, which should happen in the next month or so.

I will definately keep you posted on it when it finally arrives...about a year in transit!!

Actual time frame guessed, but not far off!!

I tried to add some pics of it loaded on a trailer, headed to Indiana, where it was when winter set in!

So there it still is, as of now.

Didn't want to take the pics, sorry, I tried several times, to no avail.

I can easily email them to you if you contact me at: mikeswoodieworld@hotmail.com

This is a new email address and is great for sending pics!!

Thanks for the input, Mike

MIKE, most of your other projects have shown the wood to be one of the last phases in a restoration. Usually, the paint is already done. Why have you chosen to start with the woodwork on the '53, before the bodywork?

Cool shot of that pillar blank. Reminds me of boats I used to build with my kids.

Hey Rob,

Very astute of you to realize this.

It shows you are paying attention!! LOL

Yes, usually these projects need to be restored as far as getting body parts in order, which requires body & paint and metalwork fitting, before the wood is applied.

But each wagon is unique.

However, on a fresh show quality paint job...it is rough on us!

We are traveling back and forth, and trying to make wood fit on a show quality paint job is treacherous!!

We take every precaution, see the yellow masking tape on the red rear fenders, above...wood can take its toll on fresh paint.

However, this 53 Buick seemed to show its original paint, and all parts seemed to fit fine, no easy task, believe me!!

So I relented to fit the wood before the metal work was done, since the owner does all else except the woodwork.

He & I have a good understanding of what it will take to finish this gem, and when he receives it, he will be bombarded with instructions, videos, etc. of just how to go about it!!

Plus he can call me 24-7 with questions...I look forward to it!!

He has been restoring vintage cars for many years, and we have spoken extensively on the phone, and will do so until this project is done.

Rob, as I said before, thanks for noticing.

I am only too happy to take you back to good times building boats with your kids...

That is what it is all about, especially 100 years from now!

Cheers, Mike