1952 Roadmaster Estate Wagon project.

MikesWoodieWorld

• 5 weeks later...
MIKE, have you picked up the Buick Ute yet?

Yes, Rob, just this last Monday/Tuesday.

It was supposed to be a one day round trip, but a tire repair went bad after the guy didn't tighten the lug nuts!!

5 miles down the road, the trailer started vibrating badly, and while was pulling over I saw that tire take an offramp I had just passed!!

The wheel had broken all 5 studs off the drum, and the lug holes were pounded to about 3 times their size.

That set me back a few hours and about $400!!

I had left here Monday at 3:30 AM, got back Tuesday 1:30 AM, very tired!!

I will unload it later this week!!

The good thing, I got to drive it around a bit before loading it.

More later.

• 2 months later...

I have come to the realization that I have more projects than time left!!

Therefore, I want to offer the namesake of this thread, my 1952 Roadmaster Woodie up for sale.

It has become a burden to me, although much has been done, it is still a major project!!

If you need some current pics, I will try to comply, but it is not easy to photograph.

It needs a full set of wood, which I will not only produce, but also give a 20% discount, or you can take it elsewhere...up to you.

I also have a 1953 Super which I want to sell...same deal on the wood.

Both wagons need for the metal work to be finished before the wood can be fitted.

Please don't PM me, as I am a clutz in that area, but improving daily!!

I would rather you send me an email for further info, or call me on the phone.

Email: mikewoodieworld@hotmail.com

Phone: 661 766 9141

Thanks, Mike

• 2 months later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, how did this slip past me?! MIKE, the turning of the calendar reminds us that we won't accomplish everything we set out to do. Mind you, you have accomplished a lot in Woodie Heaven and we all are thankful to you for sharing it with us, in pictures and careful explanations. I hope you're well and are continuing to craft lumber into rolling art.

• 7 months later...

Well, guys, I have found a local buyer for the 52 Roadmaster Estate Wagon project.

He plans to do much of the work here, so pics & updates will be forthcoming.

At some point, we will furnish a full set of wood for it.

I am saddened at the loss, but really thrilled that it will not only be finished, but right before my eyes!!

I will especially enjoy working on it, as the buyer is a good friend, and I have made my whole facility available to him.

(I would do that for any Woodie lover, not very usefull if you are not local, though)!!

He will be visiting in the next few days, and we will be moving it around in the shop soon.

It is not in a good photogenic position now, but soon will be...numerous pics will be added then.

This will allow me to make more progress on some of my other projects, so I will update on those also.

Meanwhile, Alex & I have made good progress on the light green 51 Super, and plan to wrap it up next week.

All of the wood is made, and about 85% fitted.

I will brush the dust off my camera and get some pics soon.

• Like 1

Guest Rob McDonald

MIKE, it's good to see you back on the forum. I've also taken an extended break from it but hope to become a regular contributor again. Pictures, please!

Well, so far 5 coats, looks like we will be adding 3-4 more.

Each wagon is a little different, the wood varies, and so does the weather.

It all comes into play.

As we add the varnish, some of the wood which is a different color than the piece next to it, tends to blend to a similar color.

Wood is that way, you never know what color it is until it is shaped & sanded.

Some pieces change color all in the same piece of wood.

So, we just keep going until it looks right.  

On this particular wagon, the green is controversial, it is either loved or hated!!

I didn't care for it when it arrived here, but it is growing on me!!

Not that I would do one this color for myself!!

We cannot wait to put it all back together to see how the wood will add or subtract to it!!

Cheers, Mike

post-121582-0-01763600-1442451438_thumb.

post-121582-0-30509200-1442451454_thumb.

post-121582-0-63221100-1442451475_thumb.

post-121582-0-94777500-1442451580_thumb.

post-121582-0-22361500-1442451602_thumb.

• Like 1

No way is that green an authentic Buick color!!

This one is a '51, but it wasn't offered in '53 either!!

They were also not two-toned, but all one color (note the white roof on this green '51).

We added more coats since, but I will only post pics when done with the varnishing.

Keith, thanks for the kind words, but I have to admit, Alex, my partner, needs credit for most of this work.

As we progress on the object of this thread, the '52 Roadmaster Wagon, we will keep you informed.

As a recap:

I sold it in its present condition to a local fellow Buick Woodie lover, and he is planning to do much of the work here.

So we will be showing it soon.

He and a buddy are planning to come here next week to weld up the rotted floor.

He is anxious to get started, but we have been holding him off as we varnish the '51.

Varnishing doesn't mix well with other doings!!

May I ask if there are major differences between the 50-53 wood parts?  The bodies look so similar, I just wonder if things were different in the wagon departments or not.  I am mainly wondering just how these were ever sold for a profit considering how much time is invested in developing all the parts to fit each panel. 

May I ask if there are major differences between the 50-53 wood parts?  The bodies look so similar, I just wonder if things were different in the wagon departments or not.  I am mainly wondering just how these were ever sold for a profit considering how much time is invested in developing all the parts to fit each panel. 

You not only "may ask", but can do so without quotes!!

The only differences I know of is the '53 had different rear fenders, so the wood had to fit this different shape.

Otherwise 1950-1952 is typically the same, since sheet metal stayed the sme, basically.

1953 is the same exept for the afore mentioned rear fender treatment,

By the way, I am offering up for sale a great Woodie project, a 1953 Super Woodie, and would gladly oblige to make an all new wood set for it.

it is a California rust free wagon.

If any interest is shown, I can add pics...

(Too lazy to do it now!!)

Gotta go out there and get some!!

Meanwhile, here are some pics of a '51 we built all new wood for, just before the varnishing stage.

We are varnishing it now, for about a week or so, will add pics of it done....

Keep watching!

Cheers, Mike

post-121582-0-10379000-1442745904_thumb.

post-121582-0-29444800-1442745936_thumb.

post-121582-0-16510300-1442745957_thumb.

post-121582-0-99146500-1442745974_thumb.

post-121582-0-40421800-1442745999_thumb.

post-121582-0-90330300-1442746022_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, varnishing stage is almost complete.

We just need more sanding & spraying on the upper & lower tailgates, not quite right just yet, but close.

We assembled them anyway to take some pics.

This makes about 8-11 coats so far on all the wood.

The wood seems to tone down the "green", do you agree?

I think when all the side stainless is added and the huge amount of chrome is added front & rear, that will help also!!

But we are done when the wood is done!!!  (Phew!!!)

post-121582-0-33194500-1444019370_thumb.

post-121582-0-24148700-1444019389_thumb.

post-121582-0-84403400-1444019404_thumb.

post-121582-0-33329000-1444019427_thumb.

post-121582-0-12417200-1444019443_thumb.

post-121582-0-34087500-1444019462_thumb.

post-121582-0-64427700-1444019482_thumb.

post-121582-0-49117400-1444019503_thumb.

post-121582-0-36560700-1444019523_thumb.

post-121582-0-09184500-1444019542_thumb.

post-121582-0-84996900-1444019561_thumb.

post-121582-0-18209600-1444019588_thumb.

• Like 1

By the way, although the wood is virtually the same from 1950-1952, and almost the same in 1953, there was a change.

Not in the wood, but in the hardware.

There are two robust steel brackets in the upper rear corners in all of them.

But the 1950 model ones are shorter, and missing the bolt going through the rear post that the later ones have.

Also, there is a steel brace on the 51-53 at the bottom of same rear post, making me think that the 50's had a squareness problem, when in use.

This must have shown up in the first year, since changes were added to the 51 year model.

I will try to take some pics to show the differences, but none now.  Mike

The beauty of the varnished wood outweighs the wackiness of the paint colour. Great job, Mike and Alex!

Thanks Rob, you are always full of compliments...they help us get through the tough times, believe me!!

We will be making progress soon on the title 1952 Roadmaster Woodie, since it is now sold to a fella that wants to move on it.

And seems to be able to afford it, unlike me!!

There is extensive metal work needed, mostly the floors, I will try to keep you updated.

Meanwhile, Alex and I will be making all new wood for it, too.

The new owner wants it "Sequoia Cream", not unlike my '51 Super in "Old Ivory".

I enjoy those colors, way better than greens...HMMMMM, wonder why!!  LOL

Edited by MikesWoodieWorld (see edit history)

Well, we had to make a major shift in the shop today, involving pushing (whew) three Woodies outside.

(These are heavy!!)

One of them was the green 51, so we made it a point to get some outside, sunny shots...

But, to me, still the same!!!

Not much difference...

Don't you agree??

I think that more chrome & stainless trim will help, but still not sure just how much.

The owner loves the color, well to each his own!

Meanwhile, we are making some progress on the 52 Roadmaster, mostly metal work, repairing the floors.

I will try to add pics later, my comp is in a tizzy fit right now, and won't let me!!

Alex & I will trek down to L.A. to drop off some chrome work, & pick up some ash boards on Thursday, so we will be working away on the wood soon.

Adding pics & videos as we do.

I have connections for getting show quality chrome work done, only the best for Woodies!

By the way, I had a stainless restoration shop, in the Los Angeles area for 14 years, and still have the equipment, and the knowhow is in my head...not so much my older body!!.

I am too decrepit to do much here, but I know my stuff!!

And, I would love to teach some youngster how to do it...any takers???

I now have a metal man, who is a whiz at floor work, which seems to be needed for most Woodies, so if we can help your project, come aboard!!

Cheers, Mike

post-121582-0-89214300-1444791625_thumb.

post-121582-0-57014100-1444791645_thumb.

post-121582-0-09678400-1444791696_thumb.

• Like 1

Whew! I just got through this thread start to finish today. Love it.

The photo in post #70 in particular took me back a few years when I attempted to make a deal on a '53 Roadmaster just outside of Saskatoon. There's a thread here on that story here somewhere. In the end, we wanted to buy it, but his price was 2-3 times what I thought was fair market value for a car needing a complete restoration. Of course, he was basing his price on the market value of a restored car. He'd also made some claims about the car being Canadian that told me he didn't know as much about 1953 Buicks as he thought he did.

Now that there's a 1953 available again, I can't help but dream. I also can't help but wonder what became of that Roadmaster since so few were produced and Saskatoon is a lot closer than California. Oh well, the big shop is full of other Buicks (a done Lund) and our money isn't particularly liquid right now.

Mike, it's been fun living the past few years of your Buick woodie live vicariously through this thread.

• Like 1

A very funky green out in the daylight! A friend of mine has a '53 Caddy Coupe de Ville, that he did in a similar colour, and I do not know if it is a correct Cadillac colour, but I somehow doubt it. The only one who has to like it is the man paying the bills! It will help when all of the trim gets on, and it is a complete car again.

I also envy the man who is now the owner of the '52 Roadmaster, that you will be working on soon. I wish it was me!!! The Sequoia Cream should be a nice choice for that car.

Anyway, Mike, I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing the progress you are making on those marvelous cars.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Whew! I just got through this thread start to finish today. Love it.

The photo in post #70 in particular took me back a few years when I attempted to make a deal on a '53 Roadmaster just outside of Saskatoon. There's a thread here on that story here somewhere. In the end, we wanted to buy it, but his price was 2-3 times what I thought was fair market value for a car needing a complete restoration. Of course, he was basing his price on the market value of a restored car. He'd also made some claims about the car being Canadian that told me he didn't know as much about 1953 Buicks as he thought he did.

Now that there's a 1953 available again, I can't help but dream. I also can't help but wonder what became of that Roadmaster since so few were produced and Saskatoon is a lot closer than California. Oh well, the big shop is full of other Buicks (a done Lund) and our money isn't particularly liquid right now.

Mike, it's been fun living the past few years of your Buick woodie live vicariously through this thread.

Thriller, I have a sweet '53 Super I want to sell, due to too many projects, and not enough years left!!

That's why I sold the '52 Roadmaster, a true keeper, otherwise!!

I sold it to a Buick lover, and he is restoring it here, something I couldn't afford to do, but at least I get to see it progress!!

And so another one is saved, my true goal.

Back to the '53...

It needs a full restoration, but the floors are the best of any of the Buicks I have seen here, and I am in CA!!

Only the front floors need a little help, and I have the panels to do it, included.

I also have been collecting parts for it, also included.

It needs all new wood, but the metal work, paint, etc. needs to be done first.

I can handle all the needs, floors, paint, wood, but there is a lot of reassembly left after that, to be honest.

So you need to realize that..

Hey, 1953 was Buick's last year of a true Woodie with real structural wood, and the first year of their V8, not to mention their 50th anniversary.

So any '53 is unique to that theme.

No pics yet, but I'll get off my butt and add some ASAP!!

Thanks for taking the time to read all!!

Edited by MikesWoodieWorld (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A very funky green out in the daylight! A friend of mine has a '53 Caddy Coupe de Ville, that he did in a similar colour, and I do not know if it is a correct Cadillac colour, but I somehow doubt it. The only one who has to like it is the man paying the bills! It will help when all of the trim gets on, and it is a complete car again.

I also envy the man who is now the owner of the '52 Roadmaster, that you will be working on soon. I wish it was me!!! The Sequoia Cream should be a nice choice for that car.

Anyway, Mike, I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing the progress you are making on those marvelous cars.

Keith

Keith, I also envy the man, Carl, a local Buick nut, who fell in love with it in its not-easily-loveable state!!

A tremendous amount of credit has to go to him for taking on this project, but, he is sharp!!

We are working on replacing the forlorn floor with one from a '50 Roadmaster sedan parts car i have, and I'll get some pics soon to show that process.

I had the exciting experience of finding out that a good friend is not only capable of this floor work, but is actually an expert!!!

So, we all learn at any age!!

(And, I have a 1950 Roadmaster Woodie project that I am keeping my eye on for him!!)

Carl picked up a '52 Roadmaster sedan as a donor car, and also to help keep the Woodie authentic.

It will arrive sometime this or next week, not sure yet.

I will update with pics soon, Mike

Yes, Kieth, Sequoia Cream is my favorite color, too.

My '51 Super is done in that color, but most of the pics I add, it seems to wash out to white!

There is one pic that shows the color reasonably, I will add it.

Keep in mind, this one has restored, darker wood, not all new.

However, the rear fenders had to be removed since this pic was shot.

They need to be in place to fit the wood, but have to come off so that the fender welting can be added.

It will be having the welting on soon, and the fenders, then the rear bumper & gravel sheilds, ect.

My current camera seems better at keeping the colors more close to true, so future pics should be better in that regard.

post-121582-0-02785800-1445393654_thumb.

Mike, thanks for the picture. That wood really is quite dark, and it is very lovely beside the Sequoia Cream. I do understand the issues with how cameras, and the related systems don't give you the results you want, as I spent my career in the photo biz, and in later years got into digital quite heavily, so if you have a camera that is giving you the results you like, keep using it! Some have the contrast and colour saturation boosted a bit, for a punchier looking image, and for some subjects it is great, but when you are trying to capture the subleties of something, it will often wash out pale tones.

Keith