For Sale - 1959 Thunderbird

Guest M R Simpers

Guest M R Simpers

For Sale – 1959 Ford Thunderbird

Description: This Thunderbird coupe is a well conserved original - - it’s a re-painted un-restored vehicle. It has a rare 3 speed column manual shift with electric overdrive. Once in third gear, and above 45 mph, just lift off on the gas, and she goes into overdrive. It has power windows, power seats, and factory air; however, the car came with no power steering or power brakes. There are about 69,000 original miles.

Production: In 1959 the Ford Motor Company built 57,195 coupes at their Lincoln plant, but only about 850 had the manual transmission. See why I call it rare? For years I’ve considered these Squarebirds sleepers. There are scads of the single seat ’55 – ’57’s on the market, but the number of the Squarebirds for ’58 – ’60 on the market is very limited.

Engine: This coupe has the 352 cid, 300 HP, V-8 and was rebuilt with hardened valve seats in 1993 by the previous owner. This is a strong runner. It’ll blow the socks off anything on the highway, and you can drive her anywhere.

Maintenance: Within the last few years – rebuilt wiper motor, new heater, complete AC system re-build with 134A refrigerant, new rear leaf springs, radial tires, new brake master cylinder, front control arm bushings, mufflers, a gear box rebuild with a new OD solenoid, and a carburetor rebuild.

Finish: The car is Tamarack green over White with an 18 year old lacquer re-paint. There are typical lacquer paint chips and some 18 year old finish imperfections. The hardtop looks good, but it could stand a new paint job if you are so inclined. The bumpers and the door spears appear to have been re-plated at time of painting. There is no body rust anywhere. The floor pans are perfect and were undercoated at sometime in the past. The interior is near perfect.

History: I purchased this Squarebird in Texas in 1995. The previous owner had purchased the car in 1993, and it is said to have come out of Arkansas. It is that Arkansas “dealer” who had the car painted, re-chromed the bumpers, and then passed it on. I can provide all receipts and paperwork since 1995.

Location: The car is located in Cocoa, FL (on the east coast near the Kennedy Space Center); use zip code 32926 to calculate your mileage to the pick up point.

Asking Price: $16,500 cash in hand - - let’s talk. I need the garage space for another car purchase. The car has a valid Florida title.

Delivery: When I bought this car I drove her home from Texas – 935 miles. Fly into Orlando; I’ll pick you up; and you can drive her home.

Contact Me: Phone me at (321) 636-2456. If no answer, don’t be bashful, leave a message. I will gladly return your call. I can provide very detailed photos – inside, outside, engine, and under carriage. Call me and I will gladly e-mail detailed photos. I don’t want to post my e-mail address.

Thanks…. M.R.

post-64343-143138714894_thumb.jpg

post-64343-143138714895_thumb.jpg

post-64343-143138714896_thumb.jpg

post-64343-143138714897_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest M R Simpers

This 1959 Thunderbird is still here…

Again, this is a rare 3 speed stick shift car with an electric over drive. Only about 850 of them were made in 1959. With a survival rate of 2 ½ % not more than 20 to 25 of them still exist.

I’ll go $15,000. Let’s talk. I need the room.

M.R.