1963 Riviera Trim #748

Guest FrostByghte

Guest FrostByghte

The interior on mine is white leather (think it's leather) with blue cloth and I wanted to get an idea of how close this actually matched the original. I think mine is an aftermarket setup...it has a few bad spots and it also needs some cleaning. So based on how close it is, I either salvage what I have or scrap it and find a replacement...maybe something from Clark's. If you get a chance to toss up some photos would really appreciate it.

Trim code 748 is white leather. It's referred to as a vinyl and leather interior, but the vinyl is used only for the skirts around the seats. There would not have been any "two-tone" seats from the factory so what you're describing sounds as if someone did some upholstery work on the car and didn't reproduce what was originally there. The door panels are white, and the headliner is white. On my car, the trim pieces that surround the windows are painted white as well (except for the A-pillar piece which is chrome.) My car is black so the painted part of the console, the carpets, the package shelf, , the divider between the rear buckets, and all those little filler pieces are black. I don't have any pictures that I can attach. The pictures I do have were taken back in the days when you used actual film and had to have it processed. I'll look around and see what other pictures might be out there. Look at Clark's on-line catalog and you can see how the '63 seats are different from the '64 seats.

Ed

Here's a link to a Hemmings ad that shows a Willow Mist '63 with white interior. I opened Google, clicked on the images links, and typed in "1963 Riviera white leather interior" and found quite a few pictures. Looking at them and comparing them to the exterior of each car, then comparing your car to them should give you a pretty good idea as to what yours looked like originally.

Buick Riviera for sale | Hemmings Motor News

Ed

OK Riviera People: A few things here. That interior sure looks white but with the tan trim I wouldn't be positive. I owned a 63 Riv with white leather ( car is long one) and it had black dash, carpets, package tray. I have a few 64 Rivs with a white custom interior and the theme seems to be the same.....black dash, carpets, package tray, pedals, and steering wheel, white seats, headliner and door panels.

Also, I have seen Wayne Carini driving that car on his show Chasing Classic Cars. It looks very nice if one likes the color. 39 grand? Give me a break, Mitch.

There's a really good picture, taken by John Hellmuth, of Al Schmidt's "Best of Show" '64 Riviera at the ROA meet in Branson. His '64 is coral mist with white vinyl interior. In it the dash is black, the carpets are black, and the package tray is black. The steering wheel is the optional wood wheel. The console is black as well as the "knee pad" and the other painted parts of the dash.

In my google image search for "white 1963 riviera interiors" there were some interiors that were black as described above, but depending on body color, some of the interiors were more colored coordinated to the body color. There was a picture of a "tan" car that had white seats, but had the same "tan" for the carpets, console paint, knee pad, etc. There wasn't a good picture of the dash so I can't tell you what color it was.

I'm betting that as more and more 63 - 64 owners read this thread, there will be some pictures posted that will help. If some ROA member has a salesmans order book, he can tell us exactly what color each part of the car will be given certain paint and interior options.

Ed

I'm attaching a couple of links of pictures of cars I've found on Google that show how different exterior colors effect the way the interior with white sats is completed. Some pictures I found show a two-tone steering wheel. Does anyone know which color combos came with them?

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/03/12/unrestored-first-year-survivor-1963-buick-riviera/

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/photogallery4/1963-buick-riviera-int1.cfm

Edited by RivNut
attaching links (see edit history)

Guest FrostByghte

This is a great help already. My interior has black console, black dash, dark blue carpet, blue carpet insert on white door panels, the seats have the blue carpet stuff in the middle with white leather or vinyl on the sides. Same with the back. Headliner is white...most pieces holding in the liner are white with the exception of the two chrome pieces on the front windshield. Happy to provide pictures if needed.

Would I be killing the value of the car if I went in and changed the interior to black considering the current interior is not really the original white anyway?

To me changing it back to anything that was something original would have no bearing on the value of the car. Black originall style seats are a much better value than something that's not OE. Clark's offers the white leather covers for the car. A lot might depend on what color the exterior of the car is. Some cars look great with black interiors, others not so great. Personally I think that white seats on dark blue carpet with everything else painted a matchiing blue would look good - if the exterior is white or a shade of blue - Marlin, Diplomat, or Glacier.

My '64 was diplomat blue with blue interior. Someone painted it some bright metallic blue and re-did the seats in a blue cloth from GM in the mid 80's - not attractive. Probably why I didn't have to pay much for it.

Ed

Guest FrostByghte

The car is arctic white, or at least it's supposed to be. It is a white car! :) I'm not sure it is an exact match to the original arctic white. I lean toward black because it's easier to hide imperfections with the black than it is with the white... I can already tell keeping this white interior clean is going to be difficult. If I go with the white then hopefully the items from Clarks would match what I currently have and from the pictures I have seen, I would be looking at replacing the doors and seats for sure. So I'm just mulling around the idea of going with black.

I'm looking at pulling the center console already because of my A/C issue and no heater. I think I should either check or replace the heater core before I start pumping water through it.

There's a paint code on Fisher Body plate where you fouind the interior code; at least that's where I'm assuming you found the 748. It would have actually been 748J2; the J2 being the code for bucket seats. The white seats would not have come with the blue door panels and the blue console, perhaps the original interior was blue???? and someone added white to trim the blue seats. Take a picture of the Fisher Body plate and post it. It will 1) tell us how the car originally came from the factory and 2) give Jim Cannon some more info for his '63 data base.

Ed

Guest FrostByghte

Here goes...

Wanted to add my decode findings:

TRIM 748J2

748 = White Vinyl and/or Leather

J2 = Electric Driver Seat

Color CC = Artic White/Artic White

ACC. D S7 I6 N2 U8 Z4

D = Radio

S7 = Remote control outside rearview mirror

I6 = Tinted Glass

N2 = A/C

U8 = Power Windows

Z4 = Remote Trunk Release

post-79321-143138712484_thumb.jpeg

Edited by FrostByghte
Added my findings from decode (see edit history)

Not to hijack, but while we are on this interior color conversation, where can one find the Buick interior dyes and paints? I need to freshen up some interior and console pieces on my 65's green deluxe interior.

Rob,

You'll get much better response if you delete your last entry and start a new thread. Lots of folks who might be able to help you will skip over this thread because they have no interest in it anylonger. The one guy who skips over it might be the one with an anwer to your question.

Ed

Randy,

I'm betting that your car originally came with blue carpeting on the floors, door panels, and on the sides of the console. No one would put white carpeting in a car so a darker color would have been chosen. Does your car by any chance have a two-toned steering wheel? All '63 Rivieras have black pebble grained vinyl inserts on the face of the console.

Ed

Guest FrostByghte

Ed,

Previous owner replaced the steering wheel with a smaller aftermarket model. I'll try and post a few shots of the interior tomorrow...probably should have just taken a few when I was out there. At this point I'm just trying to figure out what I want to do with the car, so the more discussion I get into about it the more my ideas solidify.

Guest FrostByghte

My two main problems with the current interior are that it isn't completely original and it is HARD to keep clean. The pictures look a lot better than the interior does close up in person. This white just reaches out and grabs dirt, oil, grunge, you name it.

Are there any recommend cleaning products or protecting agents for this white? No covering in clear plastic is not reasonable. :)

post-79321-143138712685_thumb.jpg

post-79321-143138712687_thumb.jpeg

Those are the same hokey inserts that my '64 came with. I would think that with a little white vinyl for the arm rests, a wood kit for the door panels, and a Clarks white kit for the seats, you'd have a great looking ride. I'd make the dash and package tray the same dark blue as the carpets.

Guest FrostByghte

I'm going to hold on to that idea. I think that might be the way to go. I'll order a white sample from clarks and see how close it matches.

Clark's example will be the correct color. If it's different than what you have, then look for an automotive paint supply shop. Look to see what shads of white vinyl dye SEM has already packaged, or have the paint supple shop custom mix you some dye to match the seat covers.

Ed

OK Riviera People: I am presently doing a 64 that is going burgundy outside (my own shade) and I'm swapping out to a white interior. The plan is to purchase the seats and headliner from Clarks and use a set of door cards from a parts car.

There are several issues here. First of all I'm looking for the W O W factor which is more what I like rather than original authentic correctness and I think a white interior with that burgundy will really pop. Here's one of my issues pertinent to this thread. SEM makes 3 or 4 shades of white vinyl paint. The door cards are really clean and white but even after a through cleaning they seem to be a bit yellow, the Clarks components are much closer to the white under the wood so........rather than go through hoops of fire to painstakingly reconstruct the door cards I need to find a happy medium with the correct shade of SEM white. I would like the white uniform through out the inside. We'll see.

If that 63 in Randy's picture is the same one I think it is it has had extensive minor mechanical improvements done to it that the previous owner told me had really enhanced the car's performance and drive ability so a few changes back to a more original looking interior could really bring this car up several notches. Mitch

Guest FrostByghte

Mitch,

The car was owned by a ROA member at one time, name of David James. It is out of San Clara and San Jose area. Looks like some people owned it in Pueblo West CO from 68 until about 2007 and then it was sent to David in CA. David then transferred it to a Mr. Edmunds. It drives so straight it's scary...and the engine is rock solid. I'm fighting a bit with the wiring but otherwise it's mechanically very sound. I have a ton of paper on it, but most of the work was from around 2007 and then basically it looks like nothing much was done. Any additional info you have would be very helpful.

Guest FrostByghte

That looks great! Btw what are my options for the doors? Seems a little odd to have woodgrain with the metal look on the dash. Were these two put together? I'm going to order some samples from clarks to see how close everything is.

OK Randy: Go to the Home Depot and buy some wood veneer and a small jug of Minwax stain. You can figure out the combination you like from what they have there. I personally like dark wood, the type of grain is not that critical to me.

Remove the door cards, disassemble the wood panels, peel off the old product, cut to fit the new veneer, glue it to the metal panel sand it a bit to your liking, stain it to your liking and after it all dries give it a nice shot of clear. That's how I did mine and it looks very nice. A kit is $325. plus shipping and tax which is almost $400. Too much for me. The Home Depot deal is under $100 and you can do 40 cars.

The only thing else I can recommend for that car is that I, would put on nice looking white wall radial tires.

I was offered that car in 2010 and really considered it because of all the interesting mechanical things that were done to it but I have way too much money in way too many rough cars. Mitch

Randy,

Here's one more opinion if you want it. I would guess there are not too many 63 Rivs with original white interior and exterior codes. It sounds like you are looking for originality so I would go for the white leather seats and take everything else back to factory - get rid of all the blue stuff, go with black carpet and dash pad, black leatherette on the dash and console, and the correct wood kit on the door panels. Most of this is available from Clark's. 63 was the only year for leather so go for it. As far as keeping it clean, I doubt you are planning to use this as a daily driver so it is less of an issue than you think. Just my $0.02...

The standard interior did not have the wood grain on the door panels. The custom interior did. If your code is 748, that would be leather with the custom interior. You would have had the walnut wood pieces on each front door panel and on each rear panel; the dash would have had a ribbed aluminum pattern to it (unless you have a very early production car, those had a gray painted dash.) Everything works well together. Your '63 will have black pebble grained vinyl covering the console as well.

In 64, the custom interior went to wood on the console, and in '65 both standard and custom went with wood on the console.

Ed

Guest FrostByghte

Then if I pop in the wood panels, keep the aluminum ribbed stuff on the dash and replace the seats I would be looking at an original interior for the most part?

I appreciate everyone chiming in. I am thinking of a custom look for the car at some point but going to try and make everything easily reversible in case I ever need to sell. The interior being more original would fit my goal.

Clarks sells the wood grain inserts as well as the covers. Or you can purchase quarter-sawn walnut from one of many suppliers and do it yourself. The original had an aluminum backing on it but I don't think the industry makes that any longer.

Take a close look at the verneer that's in your car. It could be that the shelac has cracked and it peeling and the wood underneath is still okay. If that's the case, and you can get all of the old dried out stuff off, you might be able to lightly sand and refinish what you have.

• 1 year later...
Guest Redmagne

Hey guys, I am new to the forum(and Rivieras in general), I see this is an old thread so I hope I'm posting in the correct place. post-91721-143141776869_thumb.jpg

My 63 seems to be an early production car, smooth dash, 11c(?), the #748 interior A pillars appear to be painted silver and the remote mirror is set back so you have to look through the window(not the vent). I can't see the trunk floor yet because the mice have made quite a home in there... upper shelf is smooth so I don't see how a spare could mount there. All of the glass appears tinted(I6), and it has power windows with manual vents(U7). I hope this info is helpful.

Hey guys, I am new to the forum(and Rivieras in general), I see this is an old thread so I hope I'm posting in the correct place. [ATTACH=CONFIG]180637[/ATTACH]

My 63 seems to be an early production car, smooth dash, 11c(?) Correct for the date, the #748 White Leather interior A pillars appear to be painted silver possibly repainted by a previous owner. My '63 with white leather has white painted interior A pillars as well as the rest of the headliner trim. and the remote mirror S is set back so you have to look through the window(not the vent). I can't see the trunk floor yet because the mice have made quite a home in there... upper shelf is smooth so I don't see how a spare could mount there. All of the glass appears tinted(I6) correct - all glass is tinted, and it has power windows U7 with manual vents(U7). I hope this info is helpful.

D is equipped for a radio, N2 is the a/c option and Z4 is for a remote trunk release.

Movement of the spare to the shelf was later. In '64 the interior A pillars and other headliner trim was chrome plated. Perhaps someone with silver paint was trying for that effect on your car.

As soon as you've cleaned out the mouse nest in the trunk you should find a bracket for a hold down rod on the right side of the floor.

Good luck and keep us posted. If you're not yet a member of the ROA, it's a worthwhile investment.

Ed

Hey guys, I am new to the forum(and Rivieras in general), I see this is an old thread so I hope I'm posting in the correct place.

<snip>snip

My 63 seems to be an early production car, smooth dash, 11c(?), the #748 interior A pillars appear to be painted silver and the remote mirror is set back so you have to look through the window(not the vent). I can't see the trunk floor yet because the mice have made quite a home in there... upper shelf is smooth so I don't see how a spare could mount there. All of the glass appears tinted(I6), and it has power windows with manual vents(U7). I hope this info is helpful.

Thanks!

Very helpful!

I did not have this car in my database.

For this production date, the dash should be a smooth finish, not ribbed, and a 140 MPH speedometer.

As Ed says, if you have not already joined the ROA, please do. There is a lot of good information there, great people, fun activities, and a really nice magazine every two months dedicated to the Riviera.

Also, PLEASE get a Buick factory Chassis Manual and Body Manual for the car. You would be amazed at all of the information that is there for you to fix these cars. You can find originals pretty easy and there are also reprints that are very good quality.</snip>

Guest Redmagne

Just submitted the application to ROA... looking for the Buick factory manuals this evening. Thanks guys, I am really looking forward to this one.

• 1 year later...
Hey Guys,

I am also new to the forum, reading the last thread. My buick tag is very close to the previous one. Great info so far, I am hooked.[ATTACH=CONFIG]264331[/ATTACH]

Please introduce yourself. Best to start anew thread. Include few pix of your car.

Your car was produced 2 weeks after mine, so you should still have the smooth dash panels. I like them that way.

Hey Red Riv. Did you start that new thread? When you do post plenty of pictures. Hopefully you'll get hooked on the ROA as well. $30 bucks a year for the best restoration tool you can buy. When you post your new thread, be sure to include plenty of pictures. I'll decode your tag for you because the Data Plate codes on the ROA's website are for cars built Nov. of '63 and later (64 production cars.) I already have a question/comment on some red paint I see.

Ed

The ROA website, with membership info, is in my signature. :)

Hi Randy,

I have a pretty unmolested and rust-free '63 that's Teal Mist with code 748 white leather. Here are some pix. The front seats were recovered well before I bought the car late last year, but it looks to be a quality job done to the factory pattern. My rear seats were original and starting to yellow badly and crack, so I refinished them using SEM preps and SEM Color Coat - they are a tad brighter than I wanted but I rubbed in some tan KIWI shoe polish after they dried a week or so and it's a better match. My door panels cleaned up nicely, but it takes time and a many toothbrushes, Bar Keepers Friend, and Westley's Bleche-White to get them looking good. Yes, they are a pain to keep clean but to me it makes the Riv look great. SEM is also good for the headliner. Sailcloth White is the shade I used.

post-56475-143142672804_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142672755_thumb.jpg

post-56475-143142672779_thumb.jpg

Randy,

Jan's car is also a perfect example of how the rest of the interior should be finished with the custom 748 leather: black carpet, black dash and package tray, black console, black vinyl on the console, black tips on the tilt and signal levers. Just like I used to tell my students, "It's as simple as black and white." If it's not white, it's black. Only the leather and vinyl are white, everything else is black, including brake pedal(s) rubber and accelerator. You may laugh but brake covers were available in colors as well as the tips of the signal and tilt levers.

If you can get yours as nice as Jan's, you'll be proud to show it off.

Ed

If you can get yours as nice as Jan's, you'll be proud to show it off.

Thanks for the kind words, Ed, but my car just seems to photograph well! The hood, roof and deck lid are faded but I'm slowly trying to get some kind of a shine out of them - it could definitely use a repaint at some point. The rest is in pretty good shape for a quinquagenarian... slightly frayed around the edges but with most of its original parts, just like some of us caretakers!